News:

Info on accessing the Trading forum is found here.
(Please do NOT message an Admin)

Donations to keep TCO online are greatly appreciated!

Main Menu

New Rules Template - "Becomes Successful"

Started by dilbert505, March 12, 2022, 04:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dilbert505

As was pointed out on Discord, there is currently no rules template for effects that fire in step 6 of the Timing Breakdown, prior to the generation of outside effects and the playing of reversals that respond to successful cards, like Over Sell Maneuver and Undermine the Competition. This is an oversight, and results in confusion, as cards intended to fire in this manner currently look exactly like effects that occur during step 8, when other card text is resolved. The main example of this occurring is Trash Can (TB), which has an effect that blocks the play of reversals during step 6.

Trash Can - Throwback
Strike: Foreign Object
When this card is successfully played, you may choose to reduce the Damage to 0.  If you do, this card is considered to be resolved, your opponent may not play reversals to it, and when your next card played this turn is a Strike, your opponent cannot play reversals to it.
F: 12     D: 8     SV: 1     Unique

This wording is unclear, and therefore unhelpful. Effective immediately, I am issuing errata and implementing a new wording that will be used for effects like this that must occur during step 6: "becomes successful".

Trash Can - Throwback
Strike: Foreign Object
When this card becomes successful, you may choose to reduce the Damage to 0.  If you do, this card is considered to be resolved, your opponent may not play reversals to it, and when your next card played this turn is a Strike, your opponent cannot play reversals to it.
F: 12     D: 8     SV: 1     Unique

Any time "becomes successful" is used, the effect occurs during step 6, before outside effects are generated by either player. Cards whose text occur during step 8 as normal will say "When this card is successful", as they currently do.

This new wording is not a functional change in how the card operates, so card images will be updated to reflect the new wording as part of the standard yearly cycle of revisions.
Universally Recognized as a Mature and Responsible Adult.

Playing on Lackey? I'm on US Eastern Time; you can check what time it is for me here.