Gencon 2008 Formats - Speak Now!!!

Started by Antigoth, February 17, 2008, 11:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Please read the first post in the thread prior to voting What formats, and what freqency would you like to see the tournaments at Gencon 2008?

All Axxess Th, Fr, Sat
13 (38.2%)
All Axxess on 2 of 3 days
7 (20.6%)
All Axxess only once
14 (41.2%)
All Axxess none please
0 (0%)
Afterburn Th, Fr, Sat
7 (20.6%)
Afterburn on 2 of 3 days
3 (8.8%)
Afterburn only once
17 (50%)
Afterburn none please
3 (8.8%)
Revo Only Th, Fr, Sat
4 (11.8%)
Revo Only on 2 of 3 days
7 (20.6%)
Revo Only only once
15 (44.1%)
Revo Only none please
6 (17.6%)
RDC Th, Fr, Sat
5 (14.7%)
RDC on 2 of 3 days
11 (32.4%)
RDC only once
13 (38.2%)
RDC none please
3 (8.8%)
Velocity Th, Fr, Sat
1 (2.9%)
Velocity on 2 of 3 days
0 (0%)
Velocity only once
17 (50%)
Velocity none please
5 (14.7%)
Alternate Format Th, Fr, Sat
2 (5.9%)
Alternate Format on 2 of 3 days
4 (11.8%)
Alternate Format only once
9 (26.5%)
Alternate Format none please
11 (32.4%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: February 22, 2008, 11:57:53 PM

CRASHER

Quote from: Antigoth on June 22, 2008, 03:59:14 AM
In hindsight one of the two classic tournaments *should* have been made afterburn. ::shrugs:: I gotta learn somewhere right?

Is it too late to change it to so?
Just wondering how this works with the Gen Con folk and all
Thanks to the much hated Revolution Format and Roman Reigns' spear I beat three other folks to be your current Raw Deal Champion and the "most irrelevant one in history" ...yay me :)

JaysonPhenix

Quote from: Dre on June 22, 2008, 03:57:15 AM
Nope, there isn't a Classic Afterburn tournament, but there are two Classic Raw Deal (basically everything BUT Revolution cards are allowed, so pretty much pretend Great American Bash is the last set produced for this format) tournaments, so if you don't really want to deal with Revolution cards, there are two tournaments available for you to enjoy.

CLARIFICATION: Afterburn, people, is Lethal Library forward, not Armageddon forward. Basically, it's everything that those of you are asking think it is ... PLUS the legal use of Vince McMahon, White Wedding, The Road to Victory, the Shane/Stephanie enforcer, and everything else in the Lethal Library holiday tin.

I know, i always think library came after armageddon for some reason

Antigoth

Quote from: CRASHER on June 22, 2008, 07:38:53 AM
Quote from: Antigoth on June 22, 2008, 03:59:14 AM
In hindsight one of the two classic tournaments *should* have been made afterburn. ::shrugs:: I gotta learn somewhere right?

Is it too late to change it to so?
Just wondering how this works with the Gen Con folk and all

The event is down and in the books, with tickets sold.
At this point I'm not comfortable changing it.
The good news is that some Classic Afterburn decks can run with non-AB decks.

Anthony Lurty

Quote from: Antigoth on February 25, 2008, 04:36:07 AM
Ok... Everything has been submitted to Gencon as follows:

Thursday
Noon - All Axxess ID# 2479
4pm - Revo ID# 2481
8pm - Afterburn ID# 2483    

Friday
11am - Raw Deal Classic (Afterburn) ID# 2483    
3pm - Revo ID# 2482
8pm - Velocity ID# 2486

Saturday
10am - All Axxess ID# 2480
3pm - RDC (AA) ID# 2485    
8PM - Tornado Tag ID# 2489

Sunday 10AM - Raw Deal World Championships ID# 2488

All of the above events have requested space for up to 64 players. With the exception of the World Championships where I've only requested space for 32 players. 

The following events I have not registered, but will hopefully run as "Free events" within the space provided for the other events.

Sunday:
11am - Raw Deal Tag Team World championships
Noon - Neil Swints Royal Rumble

All Weekend
Thursday 8AM - Hardcore 24/7 Starts
Sunday 3pm - Hardcore 24/7 Ends

Now we do the following:

A) Sit and cross our fingers that Gencon Green Lights all of the events.
They have all been booked under the Auspice of the RDPC.

B) Find some people to help run the events. I MAY be able to swing a couple of GM badges out of this. I don't know for certain. I'm still learning all the hoops I have to jump through to make this happen at Gencon.

Keeping in mind that Multi-Judge rules will be in effect, and judges will be able to play if they want, do I have volunteers from some folks who would like to help run the events at Gencon?

One final piece - the three events on Thursday, are booked on Thursday, because those are the events I want to play in. Thursday will be my day to play Raw Deal, unless I happen to Qualify for the Worlds, and I'll play on Sunday too.

Keep in mind anyone who wants to Kavetch about this - I do all of this because I love the game of Raw Deal, and not just organizing, but playing Raw Deal.

Before we take further steps in discussing some of the nuances of everything, I want to make sure that Gencon is willing to give us what we want. Once I know we have the space, then we'll start going into the specific details.

Questions, Comments, Concerns?

Mike, this was why i had said there was a classic afterburn event. This was the list i had.
MOAR Cowbell

JaysonPhenix

so which list is the official?  as the only one in question between the two is the 11am friday tournament?

Antigoth

It's afterburn. I can't read a freaking spread sheet.

Game on... didn't screw up.

http://community.gencon.com/files/folders/pmcompletecatalogs/entry171741.aspx

Open the file, look for it as "Raw Deal" Then you have to look at Column "o" Rules edition.

Sorry for the confusion everyone.

CRASHER

Whoooo hoooooooo!!!!
a real event of probably my favorite format left!!!!! 8)

thanks!!
Thanks to the much hated Revolution Format and Roman Reigns' spear I beat three other folks to be your current Raw Deal Champion and the "most irrelevant one in history" ...yay me :)

Chris Jericho

Will these tournaments cost money to get into, like qualifiers in the past?
Patrick Vinette
Syracuse, NY
2007 World Ranking: 60

-Top 32 at Philly '06 w/ Big Freakin' Machine
-Top 16 at Canada '07 w/ Johnny
-Top 8 at LCQ '07 w/ Mr. Pay-Per-View
-'06 CNY HeavyWeight Champion
-Top 4 at Canada +07 (AB Format) w/ Mr. Pay-Per-View

AIM: Smallville051

Antigoth

Quote from: Chris Jericho on June 22, 2008, 09:01:38 PM
Will these tournaments cost money to get into, like qualifiers in the past?

Yes, they'll cost money to get into. But not like Qualifiers of the past.

I think the events are like $4 each to pay the Gencon Fees.
Which I will ask people to either purchase the event tickets, or to turn in the Generic tickets to enter. That will show Gencon that Raw Deal does actually need the space we're requesting, and will be able to obtain the space next year as well.

So entry fee yes. However I've purposely kept the entry fee as low as I possibly could. There will be no additional fees charged for the tournaments. Any prize support is currently donated from Frankie Ho's, Mine, and MLX's personal collection.

I am also working on one other really cool prize, that until it happens, I'm not going to comment on.

Rem3

Greetings all Raw Deal player; I wanted to let everyone know, I "REM3" will be attending Gen Con this year with Mr & Mrs Ric Pittman. So with that "Team Yeah Got Me!" will be there... I have no problems helping Antigoth and Lurty like I have in the past with Griffey and Foley. We will be staying at Hampton Inn Downtown if anyone needs a Room. Please contact me or Ric "Medium Sexy" Pittman for more Info :)

REM3

That Guy

This is going to seem like a total noob question, but what are all the formats I should have decks for at Worlds? I realize AA, AB and Rev are fairly obvious, but should I prepare one of my janky Tornado Tag decks as well? What about RDC? And if so, is there a sixth format I'm unaware of? Sorry to show up and already require assistance, but any info that has been "spoiled" would be appreciated. Thanks all.
"...and the winner of the match....Missstaaa Kennedyyyy.....KEN-NE-DY!"

Antigoth

Quote from: That Guy on July 19, 2008, 04:15:49 AM
This is going to seem like a total noob question, but what are all the formats I should have decks for at Worlds? I realize AA, AB and Rev are fairly obvious, but should I prepare one of my janky Tornado Tag decks as well? What about RDC? And if so, is there a sixth format I'm unaware of? Sorry to show up and already require assistance, but any info that has been "spoiled" would be appreciated. Thanks all.

Actually great question... I've got to get to work, and get that figured out.
I'll have an answer for you on that by the end of the weekend.

Dre

Afterburn.
All Axxess.
Tornado Tag.
Revolution.

CLASSIC - everything that does not have a <Revolution> logo is cool.
VELOCITY - there is a banned list, check it out in the Rules forum.

Antigoth

Quote from: Dre on July 19, 2008, 12:24:12 PM
Afterburn.
All Axxess.
Tornado Tag.
Revolution.

CLASSIC - everything that does not have a <Revolution> logo is cool.
VELOCITY - there is a banned list, check it out in the Rules forum.

Right, I think his question because he is qualified for the World Championships, is what format is the World championships on Sunday going to take.

So the question becomes, do we run six rounds of swiss... each round being a different format?

Dre

Oh. Right.

I just assumed it was TBA. I'll just be bringing one deck for each format. Or at least a list so I can build them :)

MediumSexy

Quote from: Antigoth on July 19, 2008, 01:05:42 PM
So the question becomes, do we run six rounds of swiss... each round being a different format?

Hmm... Six rounds of swiss, each a different format.

Top 4 play best two of three (game 1: All Axxess; game 2: Revolution; game 3(if needed): Go Fish)
Former World Champion card player and current game designer! Get ready to fight (coming to Kickstarter soon!)

AoTF Jon

I suggest maybe doing a sealed event. My only worry is the gab Starters being as there kinda well..... Busted as this symbol [infinity]
YES I wanted to win damn it cause I'm a Belt Mark!!!

I Need the Belt Don't give me a Raise I'll Just take the Belt.

I'll wear it and nothing else to Church on Sunday.

CM Punk talking about Triple H

MediumSexy

if a sealed event is going to be part of the World Championships itself, we may as well make it "Go Fish"
Former World Champion card player and current game designer! Get ready to fight (coming to Kickstarter soon!)

Dre

LOL stop that.

Mike Ohneck is a good player.

That Guy

I'd be down for a round of Go Fish...

But for Velocity, I looked around and saw no rules for it, just two differant ban lists, so is it AA with the ban list, or are there other rules that should be kept in mind?
"...and the winner of the match....Missstaaa Kennedyyyy.....KEN-NE-DY!"

MediumSexy

Velocity format = banned list. no special rules such as "You must hold your nose when you speak." or any of that jazz...

MediumSexy

Ok, one more question about the QUALIFIER formats...

This is the correct one right?

Quote from: Antigoth on February 25, 2008, 04:36:07 AM
Ok... Everything has been submitted to Gencon as follows:

Thursday
Noon - All Axxess ID# 2479
4pm - Revo ID# 2481
8pm - Afterburn ID# 2483    

Friday
11am - Raw Deal Classic (Afterburn) ID# 2483    
3pm - Revo ID# 2482
8pm - Velocity ID# 2486

Saturday
10am - All Axxess ID# 2480
3pm - RDC (AA) ID# 2485    
8PM - Tornado Tag ID# 2489

Just wanted to be sure, sure wish I'd have thought to post this sooner. Also, with the answer, maybe it'd help clarify matters if we could get a *new* *sticky* *official* post to go with it... :)

Thanks!

-Ric "MediumSexy" Pittman

Antigoth