Author Topic: V12 "Spoilers": New Keywords  (Read 1123 times)

Offline dilbert505

• Raw Deal Rules Manager
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
V12 "Spoilers": New Keywords
« on: May 17, 2021, 07:00:59 PM »
V12 is... well, not upon us, exactly, but impending, and we have reached a point where the set has largely taken shape. One such element of the set taking shape is that we have decided to institute two new, somewhat related keywords for common actions taken in the game. We already have three keywords interacting with the Arsenal: draw, overturn, and Search. (I'll grant that two of those are so integral to the game that they don't feel like keywords at all, but technically, they are; the third wasn't officially keyworded until very recently.) There are at least two more major Arsenal interactions that have not been keyworded yet, but we feel the time is now to do so, for the sake of simplifying card text going forward. These two actions, as mentioned, are related: putting cards on top of your Arsenal, and putting cards on the bottom of your Arsenal. Say hello to Bury and Stack.

Bury is a keyword you might have seen in other games, and as in other games, it means "put cards on the bottom of your Arsenal." It's a flexible keyword, so you will see some explaining text along with it. This is a much easier concept to understand when you see it in action, so here are a few cards from Raw Deal's past that, if developed today, would use Bury.

Candice: Internet Icon
Action: Run-in
Put up to 12 cards from your Ringside pile on the bottom of your Arsenal.
F: 10      D: 0

Candice: Internet Icon
Action: Run-in
Bury 12- Ringside cards.
F: 10      D: 0

DDP Yoga
Action + Action
Overturn 2 cards, put up to 1 card from your Ringside into your hand, and put up to 1 of your cards removed from the game on the bottom of your Arsenal.  When you are DDP, you may triple those numbers.
F: 10     D: 0     Unique     Multi

DDP Yoga
Action + Action
Overturn 2 cards, put 1- Ringside cards into your hand, and Bury 1- RFG card.  When you are DDP, you may triple those numbers.
F: 10     D: 0     Unique     Multi

Flanked by Arena Security
Pre-match Event
During the Pre-match phase, no player may move cards from his opponent's hand, Backlash, or Ring with non-Superstar-specific cards; reduce his opponent's Starting Hand Size or Pre-match Capacity; or force his opponent to overturn cards.
After all Pre-match phases, put # random cards from your hand on the bottom of your Arsenal, where # is equal to twice the number of Pre-match slots you have filled above 5.
F: 0     D: 0     Unique

Flanked by Arena Security
Pre-match Event
During the Pre-match phase, no player may move cards from his opponent's hand, Backlash, or Ring with non-Superstar-specific cards; reduce his opponent's Starting Hand Size or Pre-match Capacity; or force his opponent to overturn cards.
After all Pre-match phases, Bury # random Hand cards, where # = twice the number of Pre-match slots you have filled above 5.
F: 0     D: 0     Unique

Stack is Bury's counterpart, and as you might expect, it means "put cards on top of your Arsenal." Again, as with Bury, there is some flexibility with Stack, so it will always come with an explainer as to what cards are being stacked, and hether it happens randomly or in an order of your choice. Here are a few cards with modern wordings, using Stack.

Double Underhook Back Breaker

Grapple
Can only be played when you have 3 or more cards in your hand.
When successfully played, put 2 cards from your hand on top of your Arsenal.
F: 0      D: 7

Double Underhook Back Breaker
Grapple
Can only be played when you have 3 or more cards in your hand.
When successful, Stack 2 Hand cards.
F: 0      D: 7

Neck Torque
Submission: Heat
When played, discard your hand.
When successfully played, put up to 5 cards from your Ringside pile on top of your Arsenal and then search your Arsenal for 1 card, put it into your hand, shuffle your Arsenal, and end your turn.
F: 10 D: 20

Neck Torque
Submission: Heat
When played, discard your hand.
When successful, Stack 5- Ringside cards and then Arsenal Search 1 card and end your turn.
F: 10 D: 20

Managed by Lita
Pre-Match Manager
At the end of the Pre-Match phase, you may put 1 card from your hand on the top of your Arsenal and then search your Arsenal for 1 Volley maneuver, reveal it to your opponent, put it into your hand, and shuffle your Arsenal.
When this card is in your Ring area, if you successfully play a Volley maneuver, you may draw 1 card.
Universally Unique
F: 0      D: 0

Managed by Lita
Pre-Match Manager
At the end of the Pre-Match phase, you may Stack 1 Hand card and then Arsenal Search 1 Volley maneuver.
When this card is in your Ring area, if your Volley maneuver is successful, you may draw 1 card.
Universally Unique

The two keywords can be used in conjunction, too, when you have the choice of putting cards on top or bottom:

SmackDown! #1 Announcer Funaki
Pre-match Event
At the end of the Pre-match phase, draw 3 cards and then put 3 cards in your hand on the top or the bottom of your Arsenal.
Throwback  SmackDown! logo  Active

SmackDown! #1 Announcer Funaki
Pre-match Event
At the end of the Pre-match phase, draw 3 cards and then Stack or Bury 3 Hand cards.
Throwback  SmackDown! logo  Active

Shelton Benjamin
Starting Hand Size: 7     Superstar Value: 3
Superstar Ability: When your opponent reverses a card, you may shuffle 1 card from your Ringside pile into your Arsenal. When you successfully play a maneuver, search the top 5 cards of your opponent's Arsenal for 1 card, remove it from the game, and put the rest back on the top or bottom of his Arsenal in random order. You may pack the card titled It's All About the Benjamins.

Shelton Benjamin
Starting Hand Size: 7     Superstar Value: 3
Superstar Ability: When your opponent reverses a card, you may shuffle 1 card from your Ringside pile into your Arsenal. When your maneuver is successful, look at the top 5 cards of your opponent's Arsenal, RFG 1, and randomly Stack or Bury the rest. You may pack It's All About the Benjamins.

You will start seeing Stack and Bury in use on cards starting in V12, and they will be used consistently going forward. If you have any questions about how they work, please feel free to ask, and the dev team and I will be happy to explain.
Universally Recognized as a Mature and Responsible Adult.

Playing on Lackey? I'm on US Eastern Time; you can check what time it is for me here.

Offline Tim (From SG)

• View Profile
Re: V12 "Spoilers": New Keywords
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 09:50:25 PM »
Like the idea of simplifying card text with such terms. I'm sure most of us would easily get accustomed to it, just like the promo:2,3,4, etc mechanics. Looking forward to seeing the new releases and will wait patiently for it  :)

Offline MrPeoplesTeam

• 2013 & 2016 Raw Deal World Champion
  • **T3CH IN A BOTTLE**
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 10:35:06 AM »
As someone who played Raw Deal for many years I believe new keywords are great for the game. Also, As someone who has been heavily involved in the community where this specific keyword originated and has been in a rule book for 7 years now I feel it would be the right thing to do to reach out to the company who originally started using this terminology before going forth with adding it to any upcoming Virtual Raw Deal Cards. Just seems the respectful thing to do.

You wouldn’t come out and say “I’m gonna Tap my wrestlemania” instead of saying I’m going to use my Activated Card Effect , You know?
2013 & 2016 Raw Deal World Champion!

2018 Supershow World Champion!

2016 GenCon Supershow Tag Team Champions!

26 TIME Comic Book Depot Champion!

Offline dilbert505

• Raw Deal Rules Manager
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 11:21:56 AM »
Champ, respectfully, Supershow is a game that uses bury as a keyword for putting a card under (the arsenal/the deck/another card or location). Not the only, not even the originator. I've been using the term in card games since before Supershow existed. And I know it's in the rule book, I edited that rule book. I was involved back then, too. No disrespect intended to SRG or any other card game company, we're just trying to make our free to play fantasy cards a little easier to read.

The reason we wouldn't say "I'm gonna tap Wrestlemania" is because Hasbro owns a trademark on the term tap in card games, and getting sued is nobody's idea of a good time. That's why nobody else uses that one.
Universally Recognized as a Mature and Responsible Adult.

Playing on Lackey? I'm on US Eastern Time; you can check what time it is for me here.

Online KD8ESU

• Ninja Bob
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 03:37:56 PM »
Champ, respectfully, Supershow is a game that uses bury as a keyword for putting a card under (the arsenal/the deck/another card or location). Not the only, not even the originator. I've been using the term in card games since before Supershow existed. And I know it's in the rule book, I edited that rule book. I was involved back then, too. No disrespect intended to SRG or any other card game company, we're just trying to make our free to play fantasy cards a little easier to read.

The reason we wouldn't say "I'm gonna tap Wrestlemania" is because Hasbro owns a trademark on the term tap in card games, and getting sued is nobody's idea of a good time. That's why nobody else uses that one.

To go further, I remember these terms being used back in 1999 in the Pokemon TCG at a competitive level, and Yu-Gi-Oh! when it came West as well.

I mean, if John wants to be THAT GUY, Dilbert, let him; you, myself, and the rest of us can ignore him if he wants to compare Raw Deal to another game.  I don't go out and brag about things Pokemon has done before anyone else because it's COMPLETELY IRREVERENT to this game; Raw Deal has been consolidating things even back in the CI days, this isn't new.
hXi

Offline CRASHER

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 05:18:10 PM »
Boy, I can't wait to get lectured by the "people who invented" the terms 'draw' and 'overturn" as well  :laugh: :laugh:
Thanks to the much hated Revolution Format and Roman Reigns' spear I beat three other folks to be your current Raw Deal Champion and the "most irrelevant one in history" ...yay me :)

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 06:52:12 AM »
I was using "Bury" in-house before Supershow was created, John, and considering several SRG people were involved in Virtual playtesting in different stages, one could make the case the idea came from us anyway.

Let's avoid any high-horsing and leave them all in the barn, okay?  :)  We all know TCO isn't "that kind of forum", heh.

Back on topic, while I'm not involved, it is nice to see the use of intuitive keywords cleaning up text.  Just wish we could have done this earlier while the game was still in print, haha

CREED
"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard