Author Topic: Gengon 2012  (Read 1000 times)

Offline frehocc

• 2005 Raw Deal World Champion
  • TCO Donor
  • +221/-179
  • I think I just had an evilgasm
    • View Profile
Gengon 2012
« on: February 21, 2011, 01:26:46 AM »
Hi guys,

I'm currently planning a roadtrip in 2012, which will end with Gencon 2012.

My destinations are Route 66, the grand canyon/ vegas, somewhere..., GENCON 2012.

And Antigoth, your house is/ will be/ confirmed to be/ assured to be one of the stops. Maybe we'll drive down to Gencon together

Now can someone familiar with the country help to think of the following:

Car rental- Which company is cheap and allows interstate travel?

Route:
Assume I reach Las Vegas as my first stop (Hoover dam/ Grand canyon)
Travel along route 66 to Chicago (1 week? 2 weeks?)
Chicago (Deep dish pizza/ cookies and cream)
...?
...?
...?
Brian's house (Winnipeg/ Onion rings/ Butter tarts)
Gencon 2012, Indianapolis (MADNESS)

Also, I will start to book hotels for Gencon 2012. I believe in being prepared. Any suggestions on cheap/ near? I think the room is just something to keep the bags and shower. Sleep is optional.

Suckiest card... EVER... Frankie Takes Hollywood. Sucks so hard it is practically a black hole.
God of War gives it: 2 blades of chaos down

Offline Antigoth

• TCO's Weapon X
  • Administrator
  • +243/-164
  • Order Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Team Canada Online
Re: Gengon 2012
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 11:36:16 AM »
I'm in, and there is crash space for you. (Please note, we also have dogs now, just so you've been warned) Not that it's needed to be said, as you are always welcome in my home.

Chicago is a 14 hour direct drive from Winnipeg. (Or to Winnipeg)
Or you can also stop at Minneapolis, and make it a somewhat longer drive.

From my place to indy is a Marathon 20ish hour drive that we break out over two days.

(For planning)

Regarding booking hotels for Gencon 2012, usually it's better to do it in October of the year preceding. How close/Far/ cheap/ ETC. depends on how much time you want to spend traveling to the con daily. I personally prefer to get something in stumbling difference. (Connected by Skywalk isn't a bad thing especially on rainy days) At which point you park your car in a parkade a couple of blocks away that gives you a deal for being parked there over the convention, and is under lockdown overnight.

That's my .02 on some of this anyway.

Offline JDub

• TCO Donor
  • +99/-128
  • You're Welcome
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 01:20:04 PM »
When is your trip? Between Chicago and Antigoth's there is Summer Fest here in Wisconsin June 29th-July 3rd and July 5th-July 10th. Don't know if your interested in that but there isn't too much else to do in Wisconsin. But there is the Mall of America in Minnesota. Also during that time in Chicago is the Taste of Chicago (June 25th-July 4th). But that is probably not even when you'll be around.

Can't help you too much on anything between Vegas and Chicago.

Offline frehocc

• 2005 Raw Deal World Champion
  • TCO Donor
  • +221/-179
  • I think I just had an evilgasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 02:10:10 PM »
Gencon is in mid Aug, so I will probably be there with a friend or 2 for the road trip across route 66.

Estimated arrival date is mid July- Vegas- Grand canyon- Route 66- Chicago- Winnipeg- Gencon

May be earlier as I plan on staying more than 1 day at Brian's house. At least to gorge myself on Onion rings...

May also stay on after Gencon, maybe a return trip to Jasper/ Rocky mountains/ Seattle (lovely place)/ Portland... Maybe buy a house...
Suckiest card... EVER... Frankie Takes Hollywood. Sucks so hard it is practically a black hole.
God of War gives it: 2 blades of chaos down