Author Topic: The Middle East  (Read 1281 times)

Queensryche

The Middle East
« on: February 17, 2011, 09:14:48 PM »
Is anyone else bewildered and confused by the situation in the Middle East? There's so much going on that I can't process it all at once.

Tunisians are sick of their government and rise up in mass demonstration, and much to their surprise, the government gets the hell out. Egyptians see this, they rise up, and in 18 days force out a man who's been in power for 30 years. And now people in the Middle East are emboldened and rising up.

Bahrain's situation is getting more chaotic, Libyans are rising up........it's too much to process for me. I'm worried at what could happen next.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Offline DogTheUnemployed

• +21/-23
  • Logic is his Kryptonite
    • View Profile
Re: The Middle East
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 07:06:28 AM »
Am I surprised that it happened in the first place? Yes! Most countries with an oppressive ruler do tend to have enduring regimes as the public is kept uninformed, weak, and divided amongst themselves. Am I shocked it happened more than once? No! Like the Americans and the French in the 1700's, oppressed people will also tend to be emboldened by the success and bravery of their fellows. Since in some cases it only takes a joint effort by the people to topple these tyrants (especially after 30 years of the stuff), I am not shocked either of the domino effect that has resulted. I am just hoping that any effect on the world as a result and any revolutions that may result in the Western Hemisphere are all positive in nature. Personally, I believe reform of a financial and class nature is needed in this county, but I would rather not have a Mad Max future in the streets today.
"Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)

Offline Antigoth

• TCO's Weapon X
  • Administrator
  • +243/-164
  • Order Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Team Canada Online
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 07:45:08 AM »
When you can't afford a loaf of bread, (see Egypt) people tend to get pissed.

Inflation and cost of living were out of control, and the government was doing nothing.

When you can't eat you starve. Starving people typically have little to lose, so revolt in this case was really their only choice.

As already stated, people are emboldened by the actions of others, and in this instance, look at the actions the Iranian government is taking to quell its people to avoid being swept up in its furor.

Offline HalfBadger

• Team Canada's Genetic Jackhammer
  • +12/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 09:37:35 PM »
I'm worried at what could happen next.

What do you mean you're worried what could happen next? Isn't the spread of freedom and democracy a good thing?

I think it's a good thing. This isn't just a middle east thing, some of these countries would be classified as being African rather than Middle Eastern. I like that the citizens of these places seem to be having a relatively peaceful/non violent protest, rather than some African countries that have various guerrilla forces causes havoc on their fellow citizens and environment.
"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." - Sun-Tzu

2007 Winnipeg Regional Champion

Queensryche

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 09:53:49 PM »
I'm worried at what could happen next.

What do you mean you're worried what could happen next? Isn't the spread of freedom and democracy a good thing?

I think it's a good thing. This isn't just a middle east thing, some of these countries would be classified as being African rather than Middle Eastern. I like that the citizens of these places seem to be having a relatively peaceful/non violent protest, rather than some African countries that have various guerrilla forces causes havoc on their fellow citizens and environment.

I'm afraid that extremist groups could use this as an opportunity to seize power. That's why I'm worried.

Offline Antigoth

• TCO's Weapon X
  • Administrator
  • +243/-164
  • Order Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Team Canada Online
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 12:10:16 AM »
I'm afraid that extremist groups could use this as an opportunity to seize power. That's why I'm worried.

Don't worry, that only usually happens when your government finances the extremist group to oust a leader who disagrees with your foreign policy.