Author Topic: "Undeserving" Champions  (Read 4136 times)

Offline edheng

• +13/-12
  • yeah
    • View Profile
Re: "Undeserving" Champions
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2010, 05:20:59 PM »
Jeff Hardy.

I am having mixed views on Hardy as World champ, on 1 hand he has worked his butt off for more than 10 years and has achieved mass popularity and compared to his first run in the WWE, his ring work has improved, but all his personal problems makes me question why would they put the belt on him at that time. Still it was a fresh change for awhile.

and how come no one mentioned Jack Swagger?
Toyota: moving forward...and forward...and OH MY GOD STOP! STOP THIS INSTANT!

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
  • You don't throw rocks at a man with a machine gun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2010, 05:25:59 PM »
They did, but Jack Swagger rules!
"I was Rowdy before rowdy was cool!"

Offline edheng

• +13/-12
  • yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2010, 05:33:21 PM »
missed that, Swagger pretty much rules but ended waaayyyyyy to early...what is Suwaggaaarrrrr doing now anyways?
Toyota: moving forward...and forward...and OH MY GOD STOP! STOP THIS INSTANT!

Offline HalfBadger

• Team Canada's Genetic Jackhammer
  • +12/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2010, 09:30:13 PM »
A few things to talk about in this thread. The writer admits somewhere in the article to not watch pro wrestling much lately, so why is he writing an article about pro wrestling?

Typically the World Champ is the person who is most over and can make the company money. Not the best worker etc.

Khali was champ for a bit. Although he wasn't their 1st choice, not 2nd even, possibly not even 3rd, but guys like Taker and Edge were injured I believe.

Rey's 1st reign problems weren't his doing, but due to bad writing. Also him getting the belt was due to him being the #2 guy after Eddie, so when Eddie passed away Rey was at the top. If Eddie hadn't died, Rey would have gotten the belt probably later that year in a feud with Eddie.

When Bischoff handed HHH the new World Championship belt, that was undeserving in my eyes.

Kane's 1st reign can finally be forgotten/forgiven with his now 2 month reign, as long as he doesn't job to Taker....

Didn't Russo also win the WCW belt once? (which is implicitly undeserving)

Hogan wasn't a great 'mat' wrestler (at least in the west), however as he explained to Nick on an episode of Hogan Knows Best he realized that after dropping an elbow he could get a similar or even bigger reaction by pointing at the crowd rather than hitting another elbow or other move. Hogan was great at crowd participation. Pro Wrestling isn't MMA, it isn't purely a competition getting the crowd interesting in a match is very important. In that respect many of Hogan's reigns were deserving.

I agree that O-Tron's first reign was undeserving. It was basically to screw Brock out of being the youngest champ and to get HHH over at everyone's expense.
"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." - Sun-Tzu

2007 Winnipeg Regional Champion

Offline Jokerfish

• 2010 Raw Deal World Champion.
  • +65/-69
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 03:27:17 AM »
Here's my two cents on a number of these wrestlers and their title runs.
Cena as he is now is no better then 75% of the Rock's runs. The man can wrestle when he wants to or is booked to. My guess is he bulked up to much and doesn't the mobility in his shoulders like he used to. Anyone who doesn't believe me watch his early stuff. Unfortunately he is the face of the company and you can't not have without the belt. he has to have it  at least once a year.
Edge has deserved a good chunk of his title runs but I would say nearly anything to do with Vickie made for just obnoxious uninteresting title wins and defenses. they had other people they could have pushed as heels and it wouldn't have monopolized the show.
Seamus deserved his first run for only one reason. No one was expecting it. He was apart of a good stretch on ECW where young talent was being pushed. Unfortunately it should have been Swagger who won against Cena instead of him. WWE needed to push a young talent and Seamus was the number 2 guy in my opinion out of that class of new guys.
HHH is not a bad champ the writers are lazy or unimaginative or mismanaged, at least in the recent era they are. but any reign where a member of evolution was leaving/has left was involved sucked balls. I honestly don't blame Orton it was bad writing he needed to be solo(or at least away from evolution). Batista was a wash rinse repeat storyline for the most part, it was seriously orton leaves part two.
Jeff hardy deserved his title runs, They weren't terribly long. he put on decent/ good matches when he was champ. he had been a hard worker for a long time and he was fairly over with the crowd. he was due. I can understand people not liking him or his personal life or ring style.
Khali shouldn't wrestle because he physically can't. Not many jobs you can do when your that big. He is still the most boring champ in history. He and Goldburg had the same problem. when your gimmick is about being unstoppable and undefeatable it has to lead to a championship or it makes no sense. that being said Only Andre has ever pulled that gimmick of and anyone else who tries it is an idiot and their career will fail.
Mysterio has two big glaring issues. 1:you can't be called an underdog if you win more than half your matches. I bought it when they had his first run that he was  an underdog. Any point after you become world champ you have to at least think the guy has a shot. 2: His finisher doesn't look like it can put anyone down for a 3 count. It is an ever changing springboard maneuver after the 619 that half the time is him just slow tilt falling off the top rope.
I agree with the second list that was put up. 2 people I would definitely put on the list. The man who retired the cruiser-weight belt Hornswoggle. Keeping the retirement theme Ezekiel Jackson. Seriously WTF why put it on him only for him to disappear into the void of bad in which he came.
2010 ACMT winner
Your 2010 Raw Deal Champion
avid luchador mask wearer

Most of these are important papers...and some of them might be doodles I never had framed...I can't tell the difference in them.

Offline TheGreatWhiteDope

• +30/-24
  • Raw Deal Bullet Club
    • View Profile
    • World Wrestling Insanity
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2010, 06:38:41 AM »
i must say seeing this thread turn from Undeserving champions to undeserving championship reigns was interesting.

List of undeserving champions:
Vince Russo
David Arquette
Vince McMahon
Shane McMahon
Stephanie McMahon

=-=-=-
Really I think almost any title reign can be argued into deserved territory. When it comes to champions the same can be done. Owners/writers/actors who are primarily non-wrestlers don't DESERVE a championship. Even someone like Shane who actually became pretty decent still didn't deserve it.
AotF
"If man should decide to dabble in my affairs, then guardians must intervene. But, should I come fourth to change the face of man with you there to challenge me then I shall return with the stars to destroy all I have made. Whether man or I present the danger will not be told in the coming"