Author Topic: Michael Vick signed with Philadelphia Eagles  (Read 5827 times)

Offline JCsBck

• +1/-4
  • MCG > PCG
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Vick signed with Philadelphia Eagles
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2009, 09:40:58 AM »
How about the fact that he has been away from football for two years and may be too rusty to be effective, or he continues legal misbehavior. In both situations the Eagles eat a multi million dollar contract. The NFL, despite what some may think, is suffering in this economy with the rest of us.

It's non-guaranteed.

And you were acting like you had no idea what I was talking about. That's acting ignorant.

And I didn't point out of the obvious, because you are still talking like you have no idea what I said. The eagles should be allowed to sign him if they want is a counterpoint to the he should not be allowed in the nfl.

Is being able to get fired for any reason and receiving nothing special treatment?
I tried to go on like I never knew you
I'm awake but my world is half asleep
I've prayed for this heart to be unbroken
But without you all I'm going to be , incomplete

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
  • You don't throw rocks at a man with a machine gun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2009, 10:12:07 AM »
Non guarenteed just means they can bail on the end of the contract, they can't recoup what they have already paid, which will be substantial money still lost if Vick doesn't become a model citizen and star player. Ignorance would be thinking I said Vick shouldn't be allowed in the NFL when all I said is that it was a questionable decision for a team to sign him, but since he is an athlete and not an equipment guy he gets the the benefit of the risk taking. Also, NFL players can't get fired for just any reason.
"I was Rowdy before rowdy was cool!"

Offline MediumSexy

• +102/-103
  • 2008 Raw Deal World Champion | Team "Ya Got Me"
    • View Profile
    • MMA Combat Card Game
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2009, 10:13:36 AM »
Also, NFL players can't get fired for just any reason.

Quoted for truth. Just ask T.O.

:)
Former World Champion card player and current game designer! Get ready to fight (coming early 2018!)

Offline JCsBck

• +1/-4
  • MCG > PCG
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »
I was referring specifically to Michael Vick. The eagles can cut him for any reason they want and he gets paid nothing further. A "normal" person can sue for wrongful termination and all that crap.

and I think I was the one who actually got confused. I thought you said the nfl should ban Vick, but I guess that wasn't you. I was really counterpointing anyone who says that, not you specficially. Not really ignorance though  ;).
I tried to go on like I never knew you
I'm awake but my world is half asleep
I've prayed for this heart to be unbroken
But without you all I'm going to be , incomplete

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2009, 11:03:15 AM »
Well the points you bring up are both correct and incorrect. For example , Michael Vick can not be fired for just any reason, such as being black, old, morman, gay, or other protections. Neither can Joe Blo working for CocaCola. However he can sue for wrongful termination and has the NFLPA to back him up. Yes others can do that as well, but most can't afford the lawyer that Vick can. Most wrongful termination suits are lost anyway because companies can usually come up with legal grounds if they think hard enough.

Offline SmartAssAssassin

• post whoererere
  • +100/-100
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2009, 11:11:17 AM »
Well the points you bring up are both correct and incorrect. For example , Michael Vick can not be fired for just any reason, such as being black, old, morman, gay, or other protections. Neither can Joe Blo working for CocaCola. However he can sue for wrongful termination and has the NFLPA to back him up. Yes others can do that as well, but most can't afford the lawyer that Vick can. Most wrongful termination suits are lost anyway because companies can usually come up with legal grounds if they think hard enough.

If im not mistaken, i heard and read somewhere Michael Vick was bankrupt. Which just means, for the sake of this point, he probably wouldnt be able to get an O.J.-esque lawyer.

Also, while the Eagles do face gambles signing Michael Vick, i dont think monetary loss is one of them.  He's signed for 1 year, with an club option for a second. His first season he gets $1.6 Million. Realistically, for a team like the Eagles, even in a recession thats peanuts. I gotta feel they believed it was worth any risk. The second year, which is the Eagles option to pick up, is $5.2 Million: Pricey, but if he plays wells, they'll likely keep him and it would be worth it. If he sucks, they dont resign him and they keep their cash. And remember, none of this (as far as ive read and heard) is guaranteed, which means in theory, if Vick did somethign stupid week 1, the Eagles could say Bye-Bye and they dont owe him diddly.

Dave

Offline MediumSexy

• +102/-103
  • 2008 Raw Deal World Champion | Team "Ya Got Me"
    • View Profile
    • MMA Combat Card Game
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2009, 11:16:08 AM »
In "right to work" states, I can fire you because I don't like the shirt you're wearing.

You *may* be able to draw unemployment, but as long as I don't fire you for one of the reasons listed in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, you're pretty much S.O.L.

I'll wager that *if* (and that's a big *IF*) Mike Vick is fired by the Eagles, you can bet your hat it won't be based on any of the following:

race, color, religion, sex, or national origin (Title VII)
Age (Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967)

Will he be able to sue for wrongful termination? Sure. Anyone can sue anyone for anything. Will he win?

Hellz no.
Former World Champion card player and current game designer! Get ready to fight (coming early 2018!)

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2009, 12:29:54 PM »
MIllions is never pocket change. It affects the Eagles salary camp and opportunity to develop another quarterback.

Offline Turd Ferguson

• +19/-41
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2009, 01:05:47 PM »
Don't even get me started on right to work states.

QB Dog Killer will go nowhere in the NFL he's just not that good.

Queensryche

« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2009, 02:26:10 PM »
Also, NFL players can't get fired for just any reason.

Quoted for truth. Just ask T.O.

:)

Well.....

The way NFL contracts are structured, they're made so that the team can choose to terminate it at any time they wish. The NFLPA can file a grievance, but those are tough to win.

And just as an unrelated note: don't worry about the Cowboys. If what's happening in camp for them happens during the regular season and the new locker room gels, you'll be saying "Terrell who?" by Week 6.