Author Topic: Michael Vick signed with Philadelphia Eagles  (Read 5825 times)

Offline Turd Ferguson

• +19/-41
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Vick signed with Philadelphia Eagles
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2009, 10:53:17 AM »
Anyone else buying an Eagles #7 jersey that reads QB Dog Killer?

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
  • You don't throw rocks at a man with a machine gun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2009, 11:37:18 AM »
guarenteed to be banned already by NFLshop.com
"I was Rowdy before rowdy was cool!"

Offline JCsBck

• +1/-4
  • MCG > PCG
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2009, 11:48:55 AM »
Average men do get second chances after paying their debt's, but they don't get that chance with the same company they worked for before. Athletes do get special treatment in society.

Roger Goodell isn't paying them, the team is. The team is like the company. If they want to "hire" him, then why shouldn't they be allowed to?

But oh well, he's getting his second chance (assuming he gets full reinstatement, which I can't see why he wouldn't).

Most athletes do get special treatment, but Vick wasn't one of them.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 11:52:04 AM by JCsBck »
I tried to go on like I never knew you
I'm awake but my world is half asleep
I've prayed for this heart to be unbroken
But without you all I'm going to be , incomplete

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2009, 12:29:11 PM »
iF somebody who worked for Target did this, they couldn't come back and get hired by a different Target store. That's why Vick is getting special treatment.

Offline Turd Ferguson

• +19/-41
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2009, 12:45:47 PM »
Actually Target probably would take him back at the store he had worked for before hand. I have been working for Target for years now and there are people who had past legal troubles working there.

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2009, 12:53:09 PM »
Legal trouble is one thing, I hire people with DUI's sometimes. Violent crimes and fraud are a different story in business.

Queensryche

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2009, 02:25:15 PM »
Here's my view on this.

This isn't Vick's second chance. Or third, fourth, or even fifth chance. This is something like his TENTH chance. He's screwed up so many times: flipping off the fans in Atlanta, the whole thing with his water bottle with a secret compartment, Myspace pics of him smoking weed, testing positive for weed while awaiting sentencing.......Vi ck's got far more of a checkered past that you realize.

This also isn't just a case of him knowingly permitting a dogfighting ring being run on his property. He was personally involved to the point that he was KILLING dogs himself. He's a sick man, and considering his past, please forgive me if I'm skeptical of him and anything he says or does. I cannot root for a man who would willingly kill another animal out of anything other than self-defense.

Offline rated SRH

• +39/-15
  • Welcome to the Rated SRH Era!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2009, 04:46:43 PM »
Hell if eagles want some extra use place his speedy ass as a WR.
Your 2018 WWE Raw Deal World Champion!!!!!!!

Chance Favors the Prepared Mind.

Top 8 at Gen Con 2014 Finished top 4 Gen Con 2015

25 Time Castle Comics Champion

Leader of the Raw Deal Main Event Mafia

Heisenberg of Raw Deal

Offline MediumSexy

• +102/-103
  • 2008 Raw Deal World Champion | Team "Ya Got Me"
    • View Profile
    • MMA Combat Card Game
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2009, 08:25:54 PM »
The real effect Vick will have on the future as we know it.

When playing Madden 2011, if you lose your starting quarterback when using the Eagles, you'll have mad rushing yards (from the QB position) the rest of your virtual season.

Welcome back unfair advantage via Madden, this time going to the Eagles.

Former World Champion card player and current game designer! Get ready to fight (coming early 2018!)

Offline JDub

• TCO Donor
  • +99/-128
  • You're Welcome
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2009, 08:34:19 PM »
The real effect Vick will have on the future as we know it.

When playing Madden 2011, if you lose your starting quarterback when using the Eagles, you'll have mad rushing yards (from the QB position) the rest of your virtual season.

Welcome back unfair advantage via Madden, this time going to the Eagles.

2011? They already announced he will be in the first roster update (19th) for this years Madden.

Offline MediumSexy

• +102/-103
    • View Profile
    • MMA Combat Card Game
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2009, 08:37:14 PM »
lol, even "better"

:(
Former World Champion card player and current game designer! Get ready to fight (coming early 2018!)

Offline Gilbert Arenas

• +6/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2009, 08:52:07 PM »

Maybe ill have it say eff PETA

Offline MediumSexy

• +102/-103
    • View Profile
    • MMA Combat Card Game
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2009, 08:53:24 PM »

lol. I'll buy one of those plz.

Offline Gilbert Arenas

• +6/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2009, 08:56:30 PM »

lol. I'll buy one of those plz.

Look at this i made

http://lp.imageg.net/prod?set=key[name],value[BOW+WOW]&set=key[number],value[7]&set=key[displaysize],value[220]&load=url[http://chains.imageg.net/graphics/dynamic/chains/p2754686_customback.chain]

Offline JCsBck

• +1/-4
  • MCG > PCG
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2009, 09:41:55 PM »
Legal trouble is one thing, I hire people with DUI's sometimes. Violent crimes and fraud are a different story in business.

But if target wanted to, they could hire/keep him. The government isn't going to stop them from doing it.

Offline SmartAssAssassin

• post whoererere
  • +100/-100
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2009, 10:49:52 PM »
i wont say that im necessarily glad Vick is reinstated, but the claims that he shouldnt be allowed to play football any longer are starting to just get plain absurd.

First and foremost, as far as im concerned, he's paid his debt to society. Let me further elaborate on that: he was found guilty of a crime, convicted, and served the time he was sentenced. Because of good behavior, his time served was reduced. Thats normal
He working with PETA and speaking out against dog fighting. People may feel he hasnt been punished enough, but he has done what he was supposed to do. Im not sure what anyone else expects right now. why he shouldnt be allowed to work is beyond me. If he makes no money, and has no livelyhood, he's not gonna be able to make any sort of contribution to PETA or any animal cruelty prevention society what so ever. In addition, being back in the NFL puts him on a grand stage and makes his message easier to convey to the world at large

It is going to take time to see what exactly VIck does with himself and how he handles his conduct. While i agree he's had alot of chances, i must remind everyone that his past offenses were minor compared to his latest national crime (i believe dog fighting is federally illegal) Im willing to bet that this is his LAST chance and any more mistakes WILL result in a permamnt ban from the NFL. This isnt all that different from normal society. Think about it: DUI's or minor drug possession counts will usually get someone minor fines or short jail terms. I know for a fact that in certain places of employment, something like Marijuana possession wouldnt get you fired. Now, a major crime likely would, but not necessarily. That said, if after a major crime your place of employment did take you back, your going to be on a short leash: i would think any mistake of any kind and your gone. Pencil Michael Vick into that scenario.

Please understand something: i love animals. Ive had so many different pets in my short life, and had what i felt were bonds with so many animals, that the thought of killing or turtoring any animal makes me cringe; i dont think id be physically able to. With that considered, Michael Vick for whatever reason, probably never felt that way. Whether or not he has any real remorse for what he did is suspect: but unfortunately that cant be changed. No one can sit here and say to Michael Vick "HEY, start caring about other living creatures" and force him to be an animal lover. However, what can be done, and what i feel is being attempted, is making it clear to Vick that its wrong to torture animals. For most people that seems pretty obvious, for some reason it wasnt to him. But in the end, he just has to learn respect basically. Michael Vick could spend the rest of his life hating dogs, and all animals, but as long as he doesnt torture or kill any, does it really matter. As long as he works on changing his actions, and teaching others why they were wrong, he's done all he can imo.

Michael Vick is, as far as im concerned, a real bastard. How or why someone would feel the need to participate in what he did is hard for me to understand. BUT im also of the opinion that his life should not be over because of a mistake, however heinous some people feel it may have been. The legal system punished him, he served his punishment, he's doing what he can (for now) to further make up for his mistake, and im willing to give him one more chance. This is a VERY big deal, and a personality gauger. If he cant clean up his act and his life after this one, than there likely isnt much hope for him. But im willing to give him a chance to prove that he can change.

Dave
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 10:51:30 PM by SmartAssAssassin »

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2009, 11:37:13 AM »

But if target wanted to, they could hire/keep him. The government isn't going to stop them from doing it.
and the government didn't try to keep him out of the NFL, but that doesn't make the Eagle's judgment any less questionable. If he was a front office NFL employee he'd be toast, but because he is an athlete he gets special treatment.

Queensryche

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2009, 12:59:42 PM »
Reaction here has been varied. Or complete outrage, depending on what radio station you listen to.

950 WPEN, the ESPN Radio affiliate here has said that a sizable minority (35-40 percent, to be specific) is outraged, and that many are scratching their heads over it. 610 WIP, which has been described as less accurate than "sports blogs that make s**t up", makes it seem like people are marching up Broad Street in a massive, spontaneous protest over the Vick signing. The newspapers are varied as well. The Philadelphia Inquirer is not giving any indication as to what they think but is gauging opinion, which again indicates a sizable minority outraged. The Daily News, which tends to write their stories in what a friend has called "pale yellow journalism" (thanks Dilbert!), is making no effort to hide their outrage.

And now that it's all sunk in........eh, I think I was going through idiotic rage when I said I would not watch football this season. I definitely don't like this signing, and I don't think Vick deserved another chance, but I think I've realized that much like how the performance of my teams has no bearing on my life, the signing of Vick has no bearing on my life either.

As for the whole thing of me throwing up, I've been going through considerable stress at work (we're getting swamped and several people are on vacation,) and working a lot of overtime, and I wasn't feeling all that good anyways, so perhaps the Vick signing and my initial reaction was the final trigger.

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2009, 05:04:19 PM »
The issue at hand is less about Vick paying his debt or if he should be allowed to play. The real issue is should a team take him on their roster and are the Eagles using poor judgment?

Queensryche

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2009, 05:24:40 PM »
The issue at hand is less about Vick paying his debt or if he should be allowed to play. The real issue is should a team take him on their roster and are the Eagles using poor judgment?

For the judgment question, I can possibly provide some insight.

In the past decade, the Eagles enjoyed being first and foremost in the Philadelphia sports media. That changed last year when the Phillies made their run and continued to contend this year. Eagle management was not happy about fans caring more about the Phillies, to the point that both team president Joe Banner and owner Jeff Lurie made snide comments about fans here supporting an "inferior product", while the Flyers and Sixers organizations were both supporting and cheering on the Phils. Even with training camp beginning, and despite Philadelphia being a traditional football town, everyone here is talking baseball. It's been speculated that the primary reason why the Eagles decided to sign Vick was as an attempt to get attention for themselves, as fans, national commentators, and even the local yokels who have traditionally scorned baseball (the guy in my av as an example) are talking it because it's drawing ratings and callers in a way the Eagles never have.

Well, they got the attention they wanted for sure, but I think they didn't expect such a huge initial backlash. WIP is open with their scorn, while 950 WPEN is telling people they should continue to support the Eagles despite the signing.

I am certain the Eagles wouldn't sign Vick primarily for publicity, but that factor could have easily played into the decision to do so.

Offline JCsBck

• +1/-4
  • MCG > PCG
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2009, 05:31:55 PM »

and the government didn't try to keep him out of the NFL, but that doesn't make the Eagle's judgment any less questionable. If he was a front office NFL employee he'd be toast, but because he is an athlete he gets special treatment.

The government and target thing was analogy, but you can act ignorant if you want. (or maybe I didn't make it clear enough)

The eagles wanted to sign him. Why shouldn't they be allowed to? Target can hire anyone they want (assuming they are a legal resident of whatever country)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 05:41:39 PM by JCsBck »

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
I guess you are unsure of what ignorant means. Anyway, you pointed out the obvious, of course the Eagles are allowed to sign him, otherwise they wouldnt have. Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done. The Eagles are taking a huge risk on him. They could end up regretting this big time. Obviously they think the gamble could pay off. Teams take gambles on athletes, non- athletes not so much, hence the special treatment. My point.

Offline MediumSexy

• +102/-103
    • View Profile
    • MMA Combat Card Game
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2009, 09:05:11 PM »
What's the gamble with Vick? I don't see a gamble of any sorts by the Eagles signing Mike Vick.

If they didn't have any other options (at quarterback or any other positions for that matter) I could see it being a gamble. In their current situation, not so much.

Offline DogTheUnemployed

• +21/-23
  • Logic is his Kryptonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2009, 10:09:32 PM »
There are multiple gambles: the gamble that Philly turns a lot of players and fans away from their organization by accepting him, that he won't be any good after so many months of rust, and that he will continue to be the criminal that he has been in the past. Any wagers? Personally, I think all three are pretty likely.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 12:16:48 AM by DogTheUnemployed »
"Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2009, 08:36:56 AM »
How about the fact that he has been away from football for two years and may be too rusty to be effective, or he continues legal misbehavior. In both situations the Eagles eat a multi million dollar contract. The NFL, despite what some may think, is suffering in this economy with the rest of us.