Author Topic: Hardest sport to play  (Read 2227 times)

Queensryche

Hardest sport to play
« on: August 01, 2009, 08:25:14 AM »
This came up during FNM here and it led to an incredibly spirited and at times heated debate, so I'll ask here: what sport do you feel is the most difficult sport to play? By this I mean which sport requires the most skills, physical or otherwise, to play well.

At FNM, I argued that it would have to be hockey, because the players are on a surface with reduced friction, trying to control a puck with a flat-headed stick while moving at fast speeds on the near-frictionless surface, and that often you have to be able to line up a precise shot in a matter of seconds. That combination of factors to me makes hockey the toughest sport to play well and also makes players like Evengi Malkin and Alex Ovechkin that much more incredible to me.

Anyone wanna try and argue a different sport?

Offline ziggy zenf

• +22/-21
  • I'm.....from Earth.
    • View Profile
Re: Hardest sport to play
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 09:17:54 AM »
Well, while it doesn't get as much exposure as other sports, I'm going to say polo.

You're on horseback, with a good amount of other people on horseback, and you have to his a tiny while ball that's on the ground.

And I've read about snow polo, which just seems dangerous.

I've said my piece.
WWJD
What Would Justin Do

Offline CRASHER

• +86/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 11:53:56 AM »
Dude... that looks like Scott Stevens!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway.... anyone who doesn't say playing a hockey goaltender is not the hardest thing in sports.... hasn't tried it :p
you move your body in ways you didn't think POSSIBLE with a ton of body armor on you and even sometimes on skates.... the only other thing that comes close to me is being a QB in football... you need to see EVERYTHING in 3 seconds and throw that ball ON THE MONEY each time... that's not easy.....
*IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII* AM the Super Show 2017 Tag Team Champions!!!!!!

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
  • You don't throw rocks at a man with a machine gun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 12:19:34 PM »
Judging by how many start and quit, collegiate wrestling. Coaching since 1991 my teams have started with 70 wrestlers and dropped down to 30 fairly quickly every season. It's cardio intense, balance, strength, and speed are also huge. Most people can't handle the mental toughness aspect. You can get tired, pounded on, and outskilled really quickly. It's one on one with nowhere to hide, no one to blame, and no time outs.
"I was Rowdy before rowdy was cool!"

Offline DogTheUnemployed

• +21/-23
  • Logic is his Kryptonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 12:21:21 PM »
I would say boxing since every event is pretty much a slow, or possibly fast, path to brain damage and concussions unless you know what you are doing. The ability to stay in a fight mentally and physically while being hit in the head multiple times a round requires a great deal of skill, or at least a strong jaw, in my opinion. I'm not doubting the skill of hockey players. I just think that after a few rounds, a boxer's feet may feel like he is on ice. Likewise, hockey players don't spend the other time of their match being hit in the head (I don't really watch much hockey so correct me if I'm wrong).Not to swerve your topic, but I often argued with others as to what sport is technically the hardest to play overall literally. Basically, which professional sport deserves the most money considering the skill and ability required to play it combined with the damage it inflicts on the body just performing it? I'm sticking with boxing.
"Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)

Offline thedemonkiller

• +23/-20
  • It'S aLl PaRt Of ThE pLaN.,.,.,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 01:01:12 PM »
surly UFC or ultimate fighting has to be up there? i mean it's the worst of both wrestling and Boxing... anything where people think you are "something" if you can last longer then 4 minuetes at has to be tough
Death comes to us all, when he came to me, he offered me a job..

http://www.teamcanadaonline.net/index.php/topic,5278.0.html - trade list

http://www.teamcanadaonline.net/index.php/topic,6519.0.html - my TNA fantasy card thread over 30, 000 (and counting) views... People love to CROSS THE LINE

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 01:17:03 PM »
surly UFC or ultimate fighting has to be up there? i mean it's the worst of both wrestling and Boxing... anything where people think you are "something" if you can last longer then 4 minuetes at has to be tough

being a hybrid of wrestling, boxing, and other stuff, IRS hard to disagree with that. However it's not participated in at as high of a level (yet). It's gaining momentum, but it's future is unclear, will too many rules hurt the popularity, will to few rules lead to too many injuries or dangerous situations? It is a sport on a thin line.

Offline FuryOfTheStormKW

• +0/-0
  • Still #1 In Your Hearts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 12:41:06 AM »
I'm just gonna go ahead and quote Dogma here:

"Raining down sulfur takes a huge level of endurance. Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer."

If you ever played soccer competitively, it may be easier to understand.

I can see the argument for hockey too.
#20 In the World in 2007
#10 In the World Lifetime
#1 In Your Hearts... WHAT!
Know who I am yet damnit?

Starting Fresh Fellas:
Top 32 at LCQ with Rikishi!
Top 8 at CNY Championship (Andre/Immortal One)
Top 8 at Origins AA With Kennedy
Top 2 and Undefeated In Swiss at GenCon AA With Heenan

Offline dilbert505

• +49/-42
  • The Prince of Insufficient Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 09:51:17 AM »
Hockey, played for an extended period of time without a breather, would be by far the toughest.

However, it's not normal for people to take exceedingly long shifts; it's more common that you're on the ice for 40-80 seconds, and then can rest a bit.

Soccer players are generally on their feet, running at a steady pace, for 15-45 minutes at a time (depending on substitution patterns) and that's not counting any playing the ball; that's just to get into position.
Universally Recognized as a Mature and Responsible Adult.

Playing on Lackey? I'm on US Eastern Time; you can check what time it is for me here.

Offline CRASHER

• +86/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 03:35:45 PM »
Hockey, played for an extended period of time without a breather, would be by far the toughest.

However, it's not normal for people to take exceedingly long shifts; it's more common that you're on the ice for 40-80 seconds, and then can rest a bit.

*pssstttttt*
(ask the goaltender!!!!  8)  )

Offline PeterGriffin

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 03:54:04 PM »
Soccer isn't a sport - it's a way to give South Americans Olympic medals.

Offline dilbert505

• +49/-42
  • The Prince of Insufficient Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 04:30:01 PM »

*pssstttttt*

As I said, not normal. Goaltenders are anything but.  ;)
Universally Recognized as a Mature and Responsible Adult.

Playing on Lackey? I'm on US Eastern Time; you can check what time it is for me here.

Offline oddie1000

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 01:05:14 AM »
Australian Rules Football. No padding, no timeouts, no stoppages, 100 minutes of semi-controlled violence.

Offline CRASHER

• +86/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 07:25:47 AM »

*pssstttttt*

As I said, not normal. Goaltenders are anything but.  ;)

Damn you and your indisputable facts :p
(it is a helluva way to get the crap outta your system though...)

Queensryche

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 03:10:24 PM »
Since this topic came alive again.....

At the FNM where this topic came up, I was arguing hockey, but the majority were arguing that baseball would have to be the most difficult because of what's required for batting. That you have to react in about one second to a pitch and hit it with something no wider than the ball itself.

Offline JaysonPhenix

• +32/-59
  • 2004! Neutral Ground Qualifier Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2009, 03:16:08 PM »
Since this topic came alive again.....

At the FNM where this topic came up, I was arguing hockey, but the majority were arguing that baseball would have to be the most difficult because of what's required for batting. That you have to react in about one second to a pitch and hit it with something no wider than the ball itself.

the old saying is "You're trying to hit a small round ball with a thin round bat squarely"  I think baseball is the toughest to learn but not the toughest to play.  Any sport where you are off your feet like hockey, you're flying around on razor sharp blades that can slice a man's throat and you gotta stay on your feet and not get neutered with a small frozen rubber puck anywhere

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 04:27:26 PM »
There are so many ways to define toughest, if you don't define it, almost any sport could qualify.  As much as I hate to call it a sport, motocross racers are in better cardiovascular shape than most other athletes.

Offline DogTheUnemployed

• +21/-23
  • Logic is his Kryptonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 04:38:57 PM »
As Piper alluded, this topic is difficult without set requirements. There are numerous activities that some claim to be sports and others deny (Nascar, our beloved wrestling /"sport entertainment"). Likewise, there is the argument between skill vs. athletic ability. I am just going to cop out and stick with boxing. I'll let someone else tear that logic to threads.
"Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)