Author Topic: Safeco Field  (Read 1043 times)

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
  • You don't throw rocks at a man with a machine gun!
    • View Profile
Safeco Field
« on: July 10, 2009, 10:49:07 AM »
I just made my first trip to Safeco since Wrestlemania XIX, and my first Seattle baseball game since the abysmal Kingdome. I must say I was very impressed. Wednesday was a day game vs the Orioles. The roof was closed halfway through the game, now I wouldve preferred it left open, but it was neat to watch it close. Thursday was a night game vs the Rangers. Roof open all night, in Seattle it was still light out until 9:30ish, also neat. The bullpens are under the leftfield bleachers and you can watch them pitch through a mesh fence from about three feet from the rubber. Mariners pitching coach John Wetteland was talking to us out there and gave my daughter a ball. Two of my kids got balls from Orioles, one got an autograph. Three Rangers signed autographs for my kids as well. What a great experience!
"I was Rowdy before rowdy was cool!"

Queensryche

Re: Safeco Field
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 02:40:16 PM »
I must ask you, when you go to a ballgame, do you prefer to have actual seats or if standing room only is all you can get, would you take it? And even if you have seats, do you stay there all game or do you like to walk around?

It may be because I'm a younger guy and because of Citizens Bank Park, but I really don't feel quite right sitting in actual seats. I prefer to pick up SRO and wander around the park during various points, because it's such a nice place to walk around and the views from SRO are all very nice. And even if I get actual seats, I sometimes spend no time in them at all and just walk around between innings to get different views.

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 09:18:03 AM »
Well being that my closest stadium is a ten hour round trip drive, I always get there two hours before game time.  My kids get balls and autographs, usually from the visiting team. (although my daughter got a ball from Tim Lincecum last week). Usually in between  BP and first pitch we tour the stadiums, looking at the different features and Hall of Fames.  I usually stay put during the game, but I like to buy tickets in different areas each time I go. For example, at Safeco we sat in the left field bleachers for the Orioles, and right behind home plate for the Rangers. In Oakland we sometimes sit in the all-you-can-eat section. I did standing room only at the homerun derby and All-Star game in 2007 and that was fine too, but SRO would be difficult for my kids. Since you are so close, I order you to see games in Pittsburgh, Baltimore, DC, Boston, Cleveland, New York x2. You would have a blast.

Queensryche

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 10:17:59 AM »
Well, I've heard PNC Park is the best ballpark in the majors. And I do have relatives in Pittsburgh. I'd probably want to go when someone decent is in town though, since I have no reason to see the Pirates otherwise.

The new Yankee Stadium I wouldn't have a problem going to. Citi Field though.......I'd probably get into trouble, since it's the home stadium for my team's hated rivals and I refuse for any reason to go incognito. I'm certain someone would have a problem with me rooting for the Phillies and I'd end up in a fight.

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 10:29:24 AM »
Lol, I went to Shea last year in my John Kruk Phillies jersey and nobody said a word to except other Phillie fans. I have also been to a Dodger vs Giants game in LA in my Bonds jersey with no problems. However never wear Dodgers in SF, don't wear Cubs in South Chitown, or any other team in Philly from my experiences.

Queensryche

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 10:45:19 AM »
Lol, I went to Shea last year in my John Kruk Phillies jersey and nobody said a word to except other Phillie fans. I have also been to a Dodger vs Giants game in LA in my Bonds jersey with no problems. However never wear Dodgers in SF, don't wear Cubs in South Chitown, or any other team in Philly from my experiences.

Well, it depends for Philly. Wearing a Nationals or Pirates jersey in The Bank won't get a reaction. Most teams won't unless you're dealing with a drunk. Wearing Mets gear though.......I've been to the past two July 4th games there vs. the Mets, and fans of both teams were getting drunk and starting fights. A lot of the time though, people wearing the opposing team's gear are visiting friends in Philly.

It's true that we're really territorial though. It's a result of the Philly mentality, where it seems like it's us against the world. Funny enough, people that move here end up agreeing with that mentality and become Philadelphia sports fans. The secretary at my workplace is originally from New York, and in a span of six months I saw her drop her Mets fandom and adopt the Phillies as her team.