Author Topic: need some help with players  (Read 1449 times)

Offline jacks ulcer

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
need some help with players
« on: June 07, 2009, 11:32:04 PM »
So I played raw deal for along time but was always at the bottom. So I didn't get to play many top players in case it was in the first or second round of a big event ( the only real tournaments I played in, Gencon, Origins..ext). Any way I am writing a paper on the topic of the personality and talent of successful people. So me not knowing anybody real successful I have decided to use Raw deal players from when I played. I fill I can get a good judge on a lot of people by the community of people who  spent time with them, but not everyday with them.
so looking at this list of top players that I remember and looked up from past events.

James Kandziolka
Andre "Dre" Segarra
Andrew Trebing
 Pat Eshghy
Mark LaRoche
Heath Gray
Ric Pittman

( please don't respond if you are on of these people about yourself or if you spend everyday with them)

So my question is what are there people like when you played them?
What are they like when not playing against them.
What about the first time you met them?
Are they talented?
Did you like playing against them?
Did you find them intimidating.
Are they worthy of being a top player?
 And any other thing that can tell me about them and there talent at Raw Deal.

If any body could tell me some stories on any of these guys please help. I need some information on each one of them, but I will not be using their real names in the paper.

Offline jacks ulcer

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: need some help with players
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 08:51:28 PM »
I guess no one wants to tackle this. Maybe afraid of hurting someone. I was not trying to have anyone do that, but maybe it cam off that way.

Sorry

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +494/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 08:56:13 PM »
You're giving up after all of 9 hours? 

CREED
V9: NXT Takeover - Full Release Available Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline jacks ulcer

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 09:01:14 PM »
No I just thought people would have plenty to say about the experiences. I also need to start the paper by this weekend. I to hope some people will still post. I have my own experiences with some of these players good and bad I will be using. I just need some other points of view. I dont want to flame, but one of the people on the list I had a really bad experience with.

Offline Dre

• 2007 Canadian Qualifier Champion
  • +12/-12
  • Cool Enough to BE a Halloween Costume.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 09:06:36 PM »
I'll bite. I haven't played everyone else on this list and, of course, I'm on it, so I won't be able to answer for everyone. Oh, and if I managed to piss someone off (I know I've had a couple of ... spats? ... with people, but nothing major, so if you have one, post it).

James Kandziolka

* What are there people like when you played them?

I've actually never played against Kandy in a tournament, but I've seen him play plenty of times. From what I've seen, that is a calculating man. I actually do wish I'd had the chance to sit across from him, preferably in a best-of-three.

* What are they like when not playing against them?

Honestly, one of the nicest guys ever. I don't know if I've ever seen this guy not smile.

* What about the first time you met them?

Lots of tattoos and a bald head. I'm a 5'6" black guy. This man scared the hell out of me.

* Are they talented?

Beyond belief. He's one of those guys who you can just watch play and feel an asswhoopin' coming.

[color]Are they worthy of being a top player?[/color]

The man made Worlds three times in a row.

Andrew Trebing

* So my question is what are there people like when you played them?

Very fun. Playing against Andrew feels a lot like playing against Witte, for anyone who's ever faced him (and might have even kept a straight face throughout the whole match).

* What are they like when not playing against them.

Treb's the sh*t. Seriously. He's one of those guys who you definitely want to bring to the club.

God, I don't even remember when that was. I'm sure it was a hilarious time, though.

* Are they talented?

Yes, Treb is a very good planner. Not really more a "tricky" player, but he reminds me of a Magic player. Minus the PTQ player douchiness. Give this man a top-tier deck and a month to mess around with it. Then run.

* Did you like playing against them?

Definitely.

* Did you find them intimidating.

To be honest, no. But his ratings and consistently high finishes speak for themselves.

* Are they worthy of being a top player?

Definitely. Never did understand why he didn't get into playing Magic. I hear he's a relatively prolific WoW player, though. Truth?

Pat Eshgy

(are there REALLY two H's in his last name? its been years since I've had to put it into writing)

* So my question is what are there people like when you played them?

Playing Pat feels pretty much like playing a Syracuse player. No matter how long you have been playing, you are GOING to have to read a card when playing against him.

Pat's the effing man. Unless he's trying to get a Coke from a vending machine. In which case, he just fails miserably.

Don't remember when that was.

* Are they talented?

Definitely. Pat is the MAN at building.

Honestly, yeah. I'm pretty sure I had a losing record against him (maybe 1-3 or 2-5 or something like that), but I've enjoyed each of however many games we've played (even that loss to his RVD in NYC 06, which Carlito pretty much auto-loses to).

Unless he's playing RVD, no. But he did help a great deal in engineering what was probably the strongest archetype ever, Balls.

Definitely. The best thing about playing against Pat is the fact that even though his decks tend to get popular quickly (kind of how everyone and their mother was playing Cantor's build for something around the East Coast), he still puts something into the deck that makes you go "Wait, what the hell does that do"?

Mark Laroche

Hahaha, not really a fair question. My deck was meta'd against his decktype.

Mark Laroche is the effing MAN. Best. Gamer. Party. Ever.

Normal guy. Then the alcohol comes out.

* Are they talented?

The man won Origins two years in a row and threatened a third. The same tournament. Twice in a row.

Honestly, yeah. Doesn't help that my deck was tailored to beat his, though.

Honestly, a little. He's Mark Laroche. And it was Worlds (07). And he was playing a top-tier deck.

Yeah. He's got some pretty good decks, and word of his play (not just the parties) has reached everyone. He won the same tournament with the same Superstar 2 (and close to 3) times in a row. You can't touch that.

Ric Pittman

I liked playing against Ric. He's also like a Magic player. Knows his matchups, knows how numbers work, knows his decks well enough to recite it card for card if need be, and is actually fun to play against.

He's a cool dude. Didn't really get to hang out with him outside of playing and/or watching games, though.

Worlds 07, was it? We ended up playing All Axxess. Didn't talk too much outside of Raw Deal, though. Which reminds me, I think I'm down one game against him.

* Are they talented?

Yeah, he definitely is. The man beat me to win Worlds 08 (stupid Volley This!).

A lot. He's a tough opponent and has enough fun with the game to say stuff like "Cards in the gripple, my nipple"? (Still makes me cringe a little)

Player, no. The Piper deck, not really. Both at the same time, god help you.

Definitely. He made Worlds twice in a row. You can't tell him anything.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 09:08:45 PM by Dre »