Author Topic: Who's Your Toughest Opponent So Far  (Read 14634 times)

Offline neuromancer

• +44/-50
  • Did Carlito just eat and spit?
    • View Profile
Re: Who's Your Toughest Opponent So Far
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2009, 06:47:55 AM »
Going undefeated in swiss rounds at one of the largest qualifiers ever means: I wasn't/am not scared of anyone at all.

You must have all caught amnesia from the amazing beat downs I threw many of you in the pre-revo era as Shane'omac. It was my own original deck and I tooled everyone with it.

Just sayin'

If you do have the ability to read and understand, the topic of the discussion is not "Which opponent do you fear most", but rather "Who's Your Toughest Opponent So Far".

Toughest =/= scared.

Anyway, just curious, and pardon me for my ignorance, who are you? Which qualifier did you went undefeated in swiss round?
RKO hit-list:
Edmund Heng; Rinson Yak; Frankie Ho; Liu Zuo Ren; Cheong Zhen Xiong; Muhd Sahil; Kenneth Goh; Alvin Lee; Heinz ; Andrew Oh; Lau Khee Yuan; Aaron Chua; Ruben Sabejon; Ang You Ren; Timothy Tang

Offline Dre

• 2007 Canadian Qualifier Champion
  • +12/-12
  • Cool Enough to BE a Halloween Costume.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2009, 08:23:35 AM »
New York '06. He went 6-0 with Shane, got knocked out in T32. To be honest, it's the only Shane I've heard of having anything resembling success.

To be honest, I've never really worried about a High Risk deck not named PPV. Eddie was a bastard back in the day, but I've never seen a Shane on the other side of the table and said "damn, what am I gonna do now"? On the other hand, an 8/12 Precision Knee Drop can't tickle.

Offline Sporen

• +1/-9
  • BEST IN THE WORLD
    • View Profile
    • Reign Supreme Trilogy
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2009, 08:27:48 AM »
And by contrast, this was NOT funny.. ;)

Just messin' with ya, dude, gotta get ya back for that blatant vandalism on my coffee cup - WHILE I was holding it!  :)

CREED

Oh, Creed. Nothing has changed. I still carry a sharpie at all times for autographs. Even unsolicited ones on the side of admin coffee cups.

If you do have the ability to read and understand, the topic of the discussion is not "Which opponent do you fear most", but rather "Who's Your Toughest Opponent So Far".
Toughest =/= scared.
Anyway, just curious, and pardon me for my ignorance, who are you? Which qualifier did you went undefeated in swiss round?
Actually, most people are scared of tough match-ups. I am not most people.
Northeast Championship 2006, held at Neutral Ground NYC on October 7, 2006  :)

In which the only other undefeated deck at the time was my good friend, World Champion James Kandziolka's Andre.

New York '06. He went 6-0 with Shane, got knocked out in T32. To be honest, it's the only Shane I've heard of having anything resembling success.
To be honest, I've never really worried about a High Risk deck not named PPV. Eddie was a bastard back in the day, but I've never seen a Shane on the other side of the table and said "damn, what am I gonna do now"? On the other hand, an 8/12 Precision Knee Drop can't tickle.

Correct. The only two people who could play Shane better than most were me and Harley Jones. By the way, my wins more came from Shooting Star Press<TB>.  :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 08:29:22 AM by Sporen »
Hydra of the Poison Clan, WWE Raw Deal Legends | Founder & Paragon of Shatterstate Media, NY | Creator of the Reign Supreme Trilogy

Offline Dre

• +12/-12
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2009, 09:07:43 AM »
I figured as much. I'm Always on Top makes for some mean accel.

I thought about building him with Bait Opponent (Here Comes the Money, Bait, insert rape here) and wicked accel but never did get around to making him since A) Brahma Bull was around all the time and B) Pat had a Shane deck built every now and then and we didn't really feel like doing all the work associated with switching the deck around from one person to the other.

He's got some good stuff going for him (TB HCTM, McMahon access, awesome specifics, and accel) but the fact that you have to play a card before any of your good moves spells "meh". Really sucks for him that A) Andre exists and B) if you have an Action/Antic reversal available you can know you're safe.

Offline neuromancer

• +44/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2009, 09:40:38 AM »
And by contrast, this was NOT funny.. ;)

Just messin' with ya, dude, gotta get ya back for that blatant vandalism on my coffee cup - WHILE I was holding it!  :)

CREED

Oh, Creed. Nothing has changed. I still carry a sharpie at all times for autographs. Even unsolicited ones on the side of admin coffee cups.

Toughest =/= scared.
Actually, most people are scared of tough match-ups. I am not most people.
Northeast Championship 2006, held at Neutral Ground NYC on October 7, 2006  :)

In which the only other undefeated deck at the time was my good friend, World Champion James Kandziolka's Andre.

Correct. The only two people who could play Shane better than most were me and Harley Jones. By the way, my wins more came from Shooting Star Press<TB>.  :)

I disagree with what you said. Tough match-ups are what make the game challenging. There will be a difference in level of competition, which makes the game more enjoyable. I believe most of us here would agree with me that we actually enjoy the process of thinking hard and being calculative and careful for every move we make when we faces a tough match up. On the other hand, it is the easy match ups that make the game boring for me.

I don't think players would enjoy a game when they actually do FEAR tough match-ups.

Anyway for your last claim, I do hope that you can be more specific by referring to only people whom you know. From your sentence, I am interpreting that you are claiming to be one of the best shane-user ever. I personally feel that it is quite a cocky statement to make(just being frank). You might be the best among those whom you know and played with, but those whom you know and played with doesn't equate to most like you claimed.
RKO hit-list:
Edmund Heng; Rinson Yak; Frankie Ho; Liu Zuo Ren; Cheong Zhen Xiong; Muhd Sahil; Kenneth Goh; Alvin Lee; Heinz ; Andrew Oh; Lau Khee Yuan; Aaron Chua; Ruben Sabejon; Ang You Ren; Timothy Tang

Online CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +494/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2009, 11:07:11 AM »
I don't think players would enjoy a game when they actually do FEAR tough match-ups.

Well, I would fear being matched up against Arthur Continelli, I swear that dude had Mafia connections.  At Origins 2006, his first-round opponent just flat out didn't show up, despite registering for the event less than 30 minutes beforehand.  According to Arthur, the kid was strongly but firmly... 'encouraged' not to show up by a few big guys he knew.. :P

Raw Deal's only Win by Mafia Tactics.. :)

CREED
V9: NXT Takeover - Full Release Available Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline Sporen

• +1/-9
  • BEST IN THE WORLD
    • View Profile
    • Reign Supreme Trilogy
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2009, 12:18:26 PM »
Quote from: neuromancer
Anyway for your last claim, I do hope that you can be more specific by referring to only people whom you know. From your sentence, I am interpreting that you are claiming to be one of the best shane-user ever. I personally feel that it is quite a cocky statement to make(just being frank). You might be the best among those whom you know and played with, but those whom you know and played with doesn't equate to most like you claimed.

I've played RD since Fully loaded. I actually am the only player to have taken Shane'o to certain tournament heights and wins. Me, Cocky? You must not know me at all and that's okay, I don't know you either. If you really are curious who I am or was in RD, I was among the top fifty in the world until I quit, a multiple qualifier placer and a ground level raw deal guy. Former member of Poison Clan Gaming and I traveled the U.S. to play our beloved RD. I even ran a site back when RD was still big that was similar to TCO. Sorry you missed the glory days man. Enough thread-jacking.

Toughest opponent? This man right here: http://www.comicimages.com/rawdeal/images/65v20.jpg
Hydra of the Poison Clan, WWE Raw Deal Legends | Founder & Paragon of Shatterstate Media, NY | Creator of the Reign Supreme Trilogy

Offline The Hurricane

• The Holy Spirit of TCO
  • +103/-103
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2009, 12:25:06 PM »
I don't know if we're talking superstar or person here.

However I'll go person since I mentioned superstar in another thread. My main rival around here since I didn't really attend qualifiers because of lack of money. My main rival was Chris McCleese, who I'm sure some of you would know. It always seemed to come down to me and him and about 7 out of 10 times we'd play, he'd win.

If we wanted to talk about people who thought of me as his rival we'd have to go with Chris's "teammate" Jim Schoch. I always seemed to get one over on him all the time just like Chris did to me. Both those guys are awesome though and I haven't seen either of them in a while. I miss Raw Deal.  :(
The Hurricane
Yes I'm still here!

Offline MediumSexy

• +103/-103
  • 2008 Raw Deal World Champion | Team "Ya Got Me"
    • View Profile
    • MMA Combat Card Game
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2009, 12:56:13 PM »
For me, that person would be Tony White. The other Team "Ya Got Me!" original. We got into Raw Deal together and used to play at work almost constantly on night shift. He's the reason I'm so good today...

Now I've had the priviledge of playing against some of the best players in the world, (Rolling some of them first and/or second turn.) But there's only one person, to this day, that I can sit across the table from and think, "Man... I'm gonna REALLY have to earn this one!"
Former World Champion card player and current game designer! Get ready to fight (coming to Kickstarter soon!)

Offline neuromancer

• +44/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2009, 07:55:02 PM »
Quote from: neuromancer

I've played RD since Fully loaded. I actually am the only player to have taken Shane'o to certain tournament heights and wins. Me, Cocky? You must not know me at all and that's okay, I don't know you either. If you really are curious who I am or was in RD, I was among the top fifty in the world until I quit, a multiple qualifier placer and a ground level raw deal guy. Former member of Poison Clan Gaming and I traveled the U.S. to play our beloved RD. I even ran a site back when RD was still big that was similar to TCO. Sorry you missed the glory days man. Enough thread-jacking.

Toughest opponent? This man right here: http://www.comicimages.com/rawdeal/images/65v20.jpg

Wow! Impressive. I'm incomparable to you. You started RD since Fully Loaded while I started only since Divas Overload. I bad only been in the competitive scene since late 05 or early 06. I was among ranked the 13th in the world before the end of RD and was ranked 35th all-time, with a peak of 7th or 9th(can't remember exactly) in the world. I'm just a kid, thus not having the money to travel around like you do. Anyway, Singapore is small, I do not need to travel around to play. I had only participated in 2 qualifiers, and was in the top cut for both i participated. With only 3.5 years of experience, of which the first 1.5 years was more collecting over playing, I'm relatively a junior compared to you.
RKO hit-list:

Offline Turd Ferguson

• +19/-41
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2009, 08:32:43 PM »
I started playing with the original set and was in the top 30 before most of you people even started playing. Sadly I quit in 2003 until just last year and as such my overall ranking is in the thousands.

Offline MediumSexy

• +103/-103
    • View Profile
    • MMA Combat Card Game
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
I'm still learning to play...

I'll be good enough to beat you guys one day!
Former World Champion card player and current game designer! Get ready to fight (coming to Kickstarter soon!)

Offline Dre

• +12/-12
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2009, 12:39:30 AM »
Haha, I didn't start until Summerslam. Spent a good year and a half, almost two years LOSING. Then decided to say screw that, obtained a collection (well, PAT obtained a collection), and spent a good portion of my free time either online playing or reading articles until I became good at theorybuilding (which is half of what Raw Deal's about, unlike other games like Magic, YGO an WoW where you get a SIDEBOARD).

And Sporen is what, 22 NOW? I know that almost everyone who did really well around this area (the northeastern part of the country) is younger than myself, and I'm only 24 now. Travelling for card games isn't exactly easy =[

Offline neuromancer

• +44/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2009, 09:15:16 AM »
Haha, I didn't start until Summerslam. Spent a good year and a half, almost two years LOSING. Then decided to say screw that, obtained a collection (well, PAT obtained a collection), and spent a good portion of my free time either online playing or reading articles until I became good at theorybuilding (which is half of what Raw Deal's about, unlike other games like Magic, YGO an WoW where you get a SIDEBOARD).

And Sporen is what, 22 NOW? I know that almost everyone who did really well around this area (the northeastern part of the country) is younger than myself, and I'm only 24 now. Travelling for card games isn't exactly easy =[

We do have a rather similar story, except for me not having money to buy a collection(I was still a little kid living on the little allowance from my parents) and do not have access to computer to read articles(due to my tyrannic brother back then, who always use the computer for games, not allowing me to use). I seriously wanted to quit because of my failure in the game, until the RKO arrives in Armageddon, which make me interested again.
RKO hit-list:

Offline superradjoe

• TCO Donor
  • +200/-200
  • To impress a chick do the...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2009, 07:15:24 PM »
Confidence is one thing, but a brash cockiness is not something I can get behind.
XBL: Buck Fanana / PSN: Buck_Fanana
Hit me up on Lackey if you wanna play some MANIA ERA!!!

Offline PeterGriffin

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2009, 09:27:29 AM »
The toughest opponent I've ever dealt with is probably Dre, for the simple fact that his metagame and my meta aren't anything alike, and he's a creative deckbuilder who is always packing some extra sauce.

Then again, I'd like to think I'm a fairly tough opponent, when I'm actually playing to win.  I did almost take out Macek's Piper in R32 in Philly with Rene Dupree, and made Eshegy's Andre sweat in R16 in Toronto with the original version of FoA BFM Sluts Combo.  I'm also famous for building Iraqi Dupree, designed to do nothing more than take players to time limit and hand out double losses (stupid rule about no coinflips) at the LCQ in Michigan.  If I can't beat you in the game of Raw Deal, the power of my colon may stop you dead.

I prefer expanding the role of the mid-tier and lower-tier instead of just going ahead and playing top-tier decks, but I'd like to go ahead and actually win one of these qualifiers at some point.  Maybe, just maybe you'll see me playing something standard in Philly.

Offline pecis

• +4/-7
  • Big all over
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2009, 01:20:51 PM »

i though that the playing of yugioh,magic,dbz, yuyu hakusho, ect maid me a way better player/ deckbuilder than i would have been if i had picked up rawdeal first.... and sideboard comment isnt to relivent since u dont play series' in raw deal..
toughest oppenent would have to be kennedy , or anything that can shut down decks b4 the game starts.
FREE REDNUGS

Offline MediumSexy

• +103/-103
    • View Profile
    • MMA Combat Card Game
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2009, 01:28:58 PM »
I believe the sideboard comment was referring to the amount of "leniency" afforded to you by those other games mentioned by the availability of having a "Sideboard" and playing in a series of games for each match.

While a series of games does tend to give you a better idea of deck/player matchups (by lessening the "damage" that's possible of just hitting the worst possible draw), in Raw Deal, not having that series of games for each match puts more emphasis on proper deck design from the get-go.

Proper gameplay decisions are also important, but proper deckbuilding theory will almost always put a "good" player over the top. That's the advantage of Raw Deal to those other guys...

You don't have to build a great deck and end up losing because some kid shuffled the appropriate "bullets" into his deck between game 1 and 2...

Offline vandemon

• +0/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2009, 02:26:11 AM »
Good God...another thread swayed from the topic..you guys like to run things off-tracks... ;D
The OUTCOME of life is not your INCOME but on how much you OVERCOME.

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
  • You don't throw rocks at a man with a machine gun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2009, 06:20:04 AM »
That's the great thing about discussion, it evolves and keeps you thinking.
"I was Rowdy before rowdy was cool!"

Offline NJDFan82

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2009, 09:12:42 PM »
any deck that packs rochester new york. i just cant stop them from getting back reversals. i get to 250 fort against a rochester shawn micheals deck and still loose cause i run out of moves :(

Well, Rochester sure is a useful card. Of course, it doesn't make a poor deck a good one.

I think I'd second Creed's mention of Piper and Kennedy for the fact that it's awfully nice to get a Pre-match out. I'd also add any deck that I'd expect to play IAATG. I mean, hell, I always packed IWTPTG, and usually played it the right times, but knowing my level of success at Raw Deal (or lack thereof, to be precise), I don't exactly remember it tending to make much of a difference anyway.
Current Decks
Rhyno [AA + R4]

Favorite Decks
Shawn Michaels [AA + R4]
Leader of the Peepulation [AB]
Rob Van Dam [AB]

NJDFan82's Trade Thread - Currently Inactive