Author Topic: MLB season  (Read 7462 times)

Offline Hunter_Hearst_Hobbit

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: MLB season
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2009, 09:16:21 AM »
I'm going to go with a few uninformed, but from the gut picks:

NL
East: Phillies
West: Dodgers
Central: St. Louis
Wild Card: Diamondbacks

AL
East: Boston
West: Angels
Central: Detriot
Wild Card: Yankees

Outside of the Diamondbacks, I'm feeling pretty good about these picks.

Things can still go anywhere in the AL Central, but it should make for an exciting race.

The most surprising division for me has been the NL West.
Our Barron, who art in CT,
Hallowed be thy game.

Offline Parkmania

• +17/-20
  • Thank you Penguins!
    • View Profile
    • www.ccgscards.com
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2009, 09:32:40 AM »
Everyone who follows baseball knows the Mets have been on a slide as of late. Well, they experienced something that other teams have experienced in the past two years, and those two teams went on a slide as well.

In 2007, the Brewers were playing the Pirates in Pittsburgh at the same time AnthroCon was being held. It's one of the biggest furry conventions in the United States (For the uninitiated, a furry is a person who wears an animal costume and plays the role of an anthropomorphic animal). The Brewers happened to be staying at the hotel where the convention was being held. According to reports, the players and coaches on the Brewers were "disturbed and freaked out" about "noises" they heard from hotel rooms where convention-goers were staying, and these noises were occuring into the wee hours of the night. The Brewers were leading the NL Central at the time, but after finishing in Pittsburgh, they proceeded to go on an 11-game losing streak, cough up the division lead to the Cubs, and miss the playoffs.

A year ago, the same thing happened, only this time, it was the Yankees staying at the same hotel, and they also went on a slide and proceeded to miss the playoffs for the first time in fourteen years. This year.....yep, the Mets were staying at that very hotel and as is currently being witnessed, they're also on a slide.

Everyone knows I don't believe in curses, but given how superstitious baseball players are, I'm sure whatever team is playing in Pittsburgh next year at the time AnthroCon is being held will book a different hotel. It's like they say: once is a coincidence, twice is a developing pattern, three times is a set pattern.

I swear to Jeff Foxworthy Almighty everything I've just typed up is true.

Hence Why I don't go downtown the weekend they're here each year. Yeah, I know a lot of people who go down to "freak watch", but that's a bit much for me.
www.ccgscards.com

CCGs Cards Comics and Games - Home of the '07 Origins Revo Champ,
'07 GenCon All Axxess Champ,
'07 Stargate TCG WORLD CHAMP,
'07 GenCon WoW Lazy Peon Champ,
'07 WoW GenCon Gadgetzan Challenge Runner-Up...
and Raw Deal's official Beer God.

KEEP WATCHING FOR MORE!

Queensryche

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2009, 07:00:15 PM »
The Phillies are STILL cruising, beating the Cubs 10-1 to win their ninth in a row and extend their lead over their closest division neighbor to seven.

And I'm still hoping we get Roy Halladay. He'd make us a safe bet for the World Series.

Offline rocky_iwata

• +11/-20
  • Danny Dichioooooooooooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2009, 11:13:24 AM »
The Phillies are STILL cruising, beating the Cubs 10-1 to win their ninth in a row and extend their lead over their closest division neighbor to seven.

And I'm still hoping we get Roy Halladay. He'd make us a safe bet for the World Series.

I hope Doc stays with Jays. Without him, the Jays will become Pirates and Nationals combined for a big while. I'd rather try to convince Doc to resign next year. The Jays had really a good chance to get into the playoff if everyone is healthy. Injury bugs have really destroyed them in past 2-3 years.
That guy with a long lastname.....

TFC! (CLAP CLAP CLAP!)

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
  • You don't throw rocks at a man with a machine gun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2009, 11:16:04 AM »
While I agree with you, Halladay will not resign with Toronto. It's best to get something for him, especially since the Phillies seem to be willing to get raped.
"I was Rowdy before rowdy was cool!"

Queensryche

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2009, 12:26:34 PM »
While I agree with you, Halladay will not resign with Toronto. It's best to get something for him, especially since the Phillies seem to be willing to get raped.

I wouldn't call giving up J.A. Happ (middle of the rotation guy), Kyle Drabek (lots of potential, but nothing proven yet), and Dominic Brown (same as Drabek, only not a pitcher) for Halladay rape. If I was a GM, I'd do it, because Halladay and Hamels would have us set up to win it all for the next two years.

Phillies brass though is unwilling to do so apparently. I hope they change their minds and do it.

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2009, 02:12:13 PM »
Remember, Halladay would only be a rent-a-player, Drabek alone is tough to give up for that. How would the Red Sox look if the held on to Hanley Ramirez? Some prospects have a huge upside.

Queensryche

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2009, 02:17:18 PM »
Remember, Halladay would only be a rent-a-player, Drabek alone is tough to give up for that. How would the Red Sox look if the held on to Hanley Ramirez? Some prospects have a huge upside.

Is it really a rent-a-player if we get him for the rest of this season and next?

And don't you think Halladay would be receptive to signing an extension in Philadelpha?

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2009, 03:13:45 PM »
Halladay has said he will not sign an extension and will become a free agent. To me 220 games with a team is a rent-a-player.

Queensryche

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2009, 03:41:56 PM »
Halladay has said he will not sign an extension and will become a free agent. To me 220 games with a team is a rent-a-player.

If it gets us one or two more World Series titles, I'd think it'd be worth it.

Offline dilbert505

• +48/-42
  • The Prince of Insufficient Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2009, 10:09:41 AM »

You have to consider the possibility, though, that Halladay said that more as a means of pushing Toronto to make a deal, rather than an indication of his intentions if he does get moved. I find it likely that he actually meant "If I am still a Blue Jay in 2010, I will explore free agency." After all, who knows what his feelings will be if he's somewhere else, particularly if he goes to a new team and wins a World Series?
Universally Recognized as a Mature and Responsible Adult.

Playing on Lackey? I'm on US Eastern Time; you can check what time it is for me here.

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2009, 04:30:48 PM »
 I disagree, I don't think he minds being a Blue Jay, I think he just wants  to explore all options.

Queensryche

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2009, 08:58:21 PM »
One last point: potential is nice and everything......but it's just potential. Drabek could be an ace or he could be a bust. He isn't a sure thing. And trading an unsure thing for a sure thing? Makes sense to me. I'm willing to mortgage part of our future for the present, especially if it improves our odds of winning the World Series again.

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2009, 07:07:07 AM »
Roy Halladay is no sure thing either, he is one Tommy John surgery from being ineffective or done. It is gambling either way, there are safe bets, and risky bets. This trade is kind of safe for both teams in my opinion, if major parts don't change anyway.

Offline Parkmania

• +17/-20
  • Thank you Penguins!
    • View Profile
    • www.ccgscards.com
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2009, 01:17:15 PM »
One last point: potential is nice and everything......but it's just potential.

This is the life of a Pirates fan.
www.ccgscards.com

KEEP WATCHING FOR MORE!

Queensryche

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2009, 07:01:05 PM »

Just that when someone turns out to be, you know, GOOD (Jason Bay for example), ownership gives the guy away for next to nothing because they don't want to pay him. And the Red Sox just got Adam Laroche from Pittsburgh.

Yet despite all this, my Aunt Clara and cousin Danielle STILL watch and attend Pirates games faithfully, believing a turnaround will happen sometime soon. Wish I had their faith for the teams I root for.

Offline JDub

• TCO Donor
  • +99/-128
  • You're Welcome
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2009, 08:15:16 PM »
Well the Brewers are officially done. I just hope they don't go and do something stupid like trade for a pitcher because they aren't going anywhere either way.

Offline superradjoe

• TCO Donor
  • +200/-200
  • To impress a chick do the...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2009, 11:15:06 PM »
Well the Brewers are officially done. I just hope they don't go and do something stupid like trade for a pitcher because they aren't going anywhere either way.

It makes me glad to be at a distance, much easier to look away from this ugly mess ;)
XBL: Buck Fanana / PSN: Buck_Fanana
Hit me up on Lackey if you wanna play some MANIA ERA!!!

Offline Parkmania

• +17/-20
  • Thank you Penguins!
    • View Profile
    • www.ccgscards.com
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2009, 09:54:25 AM »

Just that when someone turns out to be, you know, GOOD (Jason Bay for example), ownership gives the guy away for next to nothing because they don't want to pay him. And the Red Sox just got Adam Laroche from Pittsburgh.

Yet despite all this, my Aunt Clara and cousin Danielle STILL watch and attend Pirates games faithfully, believing a turnaround will happen sometime soon. Wish I had their faith for the teams I root for.

When I get the chance (very rare these days) I still go to the Pirates games. I've been a lifelong Pirates fan, but I do recognize that they will never EEEEEVVVVER be contendors again. At least, not unless a firm salary cap gets implemented. Or the team gets sold to someone who's willing to actually TRY to put a winning team on the field.
www.ccgscards.com

KEEP WATCHING FOR MORE!

Offline PeterGriffin

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2009, 10:48:50 AM »

If the Red Sox had held onto Hanley Ramirez, they wouldn't have had the World Series MVP in Mike Lowell or the ace of their staff in Beckett.

Pretty much, the Sox would be also rans in the division if they didn't pull the trigger on that deal.

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2009, 11:12:10 AM »
While they were the exception, and landed talent that stuck around, I'm not sure they would have much worse off with out Lowell and. Beckett

Queensryche

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2009, 05:04:46 PM »

If the Red Sox had held onto Hanley Ramirez, they wouldn't have had the World Series MVP in Mike Lowell or the ace of their staff in Beckett.

Pretty much, the Sox would be also rans in the division if they didn't pull the trigger on that deal.

Plus, there was some thought that the hype Hanley Ramirez was getting was due to him being in Boston's farm system and that it was inflated. Apparently Red Sox management felt it might be the case and thus dealt him.

Either way, it worked out. Mortgage some of the future to win more now? I'd do it.

Offline Parkmania

• +17/-20
  • Thank you Penguins!
    • View Profile
    • www.ccgscards.com
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2009, 01:33:18 PM »
So, the Pirates just traded away one of the two main names that people come to see - Jack Wilson to the Mariners along with Ian Snell for 5 scrubs.
www.ccgscards.com

KEEP WATCHING FOR MORE!

Offline BigPimpin

• +276/-147
  • Straight Gangsta, Foo'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2009, 01:40:51 PM »
So, the Pirates just traded away one of the two main names that people come to see - Jack Wilson to the Mariners along with Ian Snell for 5 scrubs.

Every review of this trade I saw was that the Pirates fleeced the Mariners here.  Not that that helps for this year, but just an FYI this appears to be a good trade for the Pirates to make.

And another FYI, mlbtraderumors.com has the Giants furiously kicking the tires on the Pirates' Sanchez
Discord: MightyBP
Time Zone: EST
Available Lackey Hours: late nights (8-9 PM starts), some weekend evenings or morning.

100% reason to remember the name.

I'm the reason the hood need a dental plan.

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2009, 01:47:05 PM »
as I type this I am sitting at the Pirates game wondering " who in the he'll are these guys?" at least Duke is pitching :/