Author Topic: Full Spoilers - Wave 13 - Revolution 1 & 2 Superstar-specifics  (Read 4936 times)

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +493/-369
    • View Profile
Full Spoilers - Wave 13 - Revolution 1 & 2 Superstar-specifics
« on: December 04, 2008, 02:21:02 PM »
Flashing back to the cards skipped, thiis wave and wave 14 are the Superstar-specific Revolution cards.  Here's the Revo 1 starters for today's spoilers....

-

CREED
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 04:14:55 PM by Daeva »
V9: NXT Takeover ("A" Section) - Out Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline MediumSexy

• +103/-103
  • 2008 Raw Deal World Champion | Team "Ya Got Me"
    • View Profile
    • MMA Combat Card Game
Re: Full Spoilers - Wave 13
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 03:18:06 PM »
Very nice. Great looking cards, too. Crisp, clean and perfect...

Well done!

-Ric
Former World Champion card player and current game designer! Get ready to fight (coming to Kickstarter soon!)

Offline TempestTenor

• TCO Donor
  • +0/-1
  • Rochester: Where it snows a lot and we shun women
    • View Profile
    • Barbershop Harmony Society
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 08:32:54 AM »
Creed, do you have any insight at all as to "wtf Barron et al were thinking" when they released Revolution John Cena?  Did they purposely give Cena an awful ability as an inside joke?  Is there some secret t3ch that I'm not seeing that makes R:Cena teh uber in Revolution?
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own." -Bruce Lee

Offline Doctor Barone

• Fake PhD. provded by Chad Dangler
  • +62/-42
  • Through being cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 11:15:19 AM »
Creed, do you have any insight at all as to "wtf Barron et al were thinking" when they released Revolution John Cena?  Did they purposely give Cena an awful ability as an inside joke?  Is there some secret t3ch that I'm not seeing that makes R:Cena teh uber in Revolution?

You're not missing anything. He was bottom tier since Revolution Set 1.
Joe Barone
Lifetime Ranking: 122

Creed's idiocy and lack of reading skills aside, it's what Barone says.

Offline TempestTenor

• TCO Donor
  • +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 12:12:47 PM »

You're not missing anything. He was bottom tier since Revolution Set 1.

Right.  So my question remains: OMFG why lolz???  Revolution was supposed to be a fresh start to the game and the creators were supposed to have learned a few lessons about game balance from the years they spent developing classic.  And then they decided to print R:John Cena.  WHYYY???  MENDOZAAAAAA!!!!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 12:14:23 PM by TempestTenor »
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own." -Bruce Lee

Offline Revolution_Payback

• +2/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 12:54:25 PM »
I just noticed this Is Air Sabu suppose to be an Assault?

Offline JaysonPhenix

• +32/-59
  • 2004! Neutral Ground Qualifier Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 01:19:20 PM »
I just noticed this Is Air Sabu suppose to be an Assault?

I believe that was on purpose to work with his ability

Offline JaysonPhenix

• +32/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 01:30:40 PM »
revo cena isnt that bad :p especially now that the ability adds.  There's a hold i think that bounces back to hand when something happens, so he gets that in hand, ditches it, does whatever to get it back, repeat.  In normal revo thats pretty good since its basically once a move goes through you pour on the attack.  As for Classic, that works rather well with original Cena as he can recoup his hand after using his base ability.

Offline TempestTenor

• TCO Donor
  • +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 02:08:17 PM »
revo cena isnt that bad :p especially now that the ability adds.  There's a hold i think that bounces back to hand when something happens, so he gets that in hand, ditches it, does whatever to get it back, repeat.  In normal revo thats pretty good since its basically once a move goes through you pour on the attack.  As for Classic, that works rather well with original Cena as he can recoup his hand after using his base ability.

Well obviously he's not that bad now with Creed's new "My Time Is Now."  I was referring to R:John Cena as he existed in the Revo 1, Revo 2, and Revo 3 environments.  There was a Hold in Revo 2 where you could allow your opponent to draw 2 such that you can put it back into your hand from the Ringside.  That was the only card that had any real synergy with R: Cena that I could find (at least in the Revo 1 and 2 environment...I kinda stopped paying attention when R3 came out *shudder*).  But in any case, that card alone wasn't enough to build an entire deck around.  Plus that came out in Revo 2...Cena had absolutely NOTHING in Revo 1.

Offline JaysonPhenix

• +32/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 03:16:03 PM »
Well the general idea when it was just revo one, was larger handsize usually prevailed, least in our area

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +493/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 10:54:15 AM »
So... I got home, saw this conversation happen for the third time in the spoiler process, and realized that having it because of sticking to old templating goes against the ideals of this project.  The word "When" was added, the card was re-uploaded and the image replaced.  Hopefully this clears up the whole thing, and shame on me for not doing it in the first place, heh.

Meanwhile, now that my weekend vacation in Dallas is over, here's the rest of Wave 13 - ALL of the Revolution 2 Superstar support.  :)  Wave 14 (Revo 3) will start tomorrow...

CREED

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline BrysonYuzyk

• +7/-2
  • A better, happier you.
    • View Profile
    • RawDealPlanet
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 07:23:23 PM »

I might be able to shed some insight on this one.

If I recall correctly, during most of testing, the original Revo Cena proved to be balanced, but then somewhere close to the last minute he turned out to be broken in some abstract way, necessitating a late-game ability change.

But that's just from memory.  This was many years ago.
We'll long be laughing after you are dead.

Offline HXCDisciple

• +0/-0
  • Cabanarama running wild!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 09:48:15 AM »
Hmmm...is having an Orton card in the ring supposed to help or hinder Help from My Friends?  Seeing as Rated RKO has been around, I'd think it would help, but it's currently saying "+8 F" in the card.
"eff it, I'm RVD, this will work, let's go." --RVD, just before his appearance on RAW 15.

Current decks I'm building:
Umaga
Rhyno
Educated Feet RVD
Sgt. Slaughter
Shoot Regal
Tazz

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +493/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 11:04:57 AM »
Its meant to hinder. ;)  So Rated RKO can still play it, but at a higher cost.  I suppose it could have been done the other way - higher cost and -F if you don't have an Orton logo card in your Ring, but it works as is...

Oh - on the Cena thing.  I really don't know.  I'm 100% positive Cena wasn't designed to be bad intentionally, but I got to the party a little late for R1 playtesting (by mistake) and Cena was pretty much 'done' by then and wasn't discussed.  One of my playtesting buddies said he had a really strong Cena Storyline deck, but I didn't get to play him.  Admittedly, the Storyline IS good for Revo environment, as you'll almost always have something you can play... but its not as strong and obvious as say Batista, HHH, Edge, etc.  Hopefully the new card fixes that enough for Revo Cena, and gives AA Cena some tools to work with as well...

Meanwhile, off to start Wave 14!

CREED

Offline HXCDisciple

• +0/-0
  • Cabanarama running wild!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 09:55:14 AM »
Oh, okay, I dig it now.

Cool, cool.
"eff it, I'm RVD, this will work, let's go." --RVD, just before his appearance on RAW 15.

Current decks I'm building:
Umaga
Rhyno
Educated Feet RVD
Sgt. Slaughter
Shoot Regal
Tazz