Author Topic: If you can read this...  (Read 4704 times)

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +493/-369
    • View Profile
If you can read this...
« on: April 17, 2008, 10:57:07 AM »
...please chime in with an opinion.  :)

I've been thinking... since we're creating a proxy-filled environment anyway, would it be wrong to have proxies of certain rares like Manager, Revo/Mind, Second Solution, etc?  Or maybe even just hard-to-find (ish) cards like Two For the Show and Divine Intervention?

Thoughts...

CREED
V9: NXT Takeover ("A" Section) - Out Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline BrysonYuzyk

• +7/-2
  • A better, happier you.
    • View Profile
    • RawDealPlanet
Re: If you can read this...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 11:04:33 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, it's actually illegal to reprint something in this case, if it exactly matches the aforementioned card.
We'll long be laughing after you are dead.

Offline Daeva

• Virtual Contributor, Level 4 Judge, Hope Ender
  • Administrator
  • +319/-214
  • On Balance, Off Balance, Doesn't Matter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 12:20:12 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, it's actually illegal to reprint something in this case, if it exactly matches the aforementioned card.

It was my belief that it was illegal to reprint the exact card and attempt to make a profit, but making a proxy of a card for free use shouldn't violate any copyrights or trademarks, since you're not attempting to claim it as your own or make revenue off of it.

All the same, though, I'd lean toward giving the players the tools to proxy whatever they wish, and then leaving the specific cards that they want to proxy in their hands.
Nate Weiss, Rules Manager & Dream Killer
"You're no fun." -Creed
Timing question? Look here.
Evidence is everything in a court of law. Evidence is also everything in the Rules Forum.

Offline BrysonYuzyk

• +7/-2
  • A better, happier you.
    • View Profile
    • RawDealPlanet
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 02:53:25 PM »

It was my belief that it was illegal to reprint the exact card and attempt to make a profit, but making a proxy of a card for free use shouldn't violate any copyrights or trademarks, since you're not attempting to claim it as your own or make revenue off of it.

All the same, though, I'd lean toward giving the players the tools to proxy whatever they wish, and then leaving the specific cards that they want to proxy in their hands.

I think you're partially right, but I think in order to actually make a 'proxy tool' you need to own a legitimate copy of the card in question.  For example, if you wanted to print a proxy Revolution of the Mind, you need to own a legitimate copy of Revo that could be produced upon legal request.  You could, of course, put up the entire set of proxies and then simply instruct people to only download and use them if they have legitimate copies; I'm pretty sure that gets you around all legal issues, but you still run the risk of being hammered by a company in civil court.

Keep in mind that many companies can and will attempt to bring you to civil court, even if they know they'd lose legally, because they know most people would rather give in than actually go through the extremely time and cost intensive legal process.

Offline MediumSexy

• +103/-103
  • 2008 Raw Deal World Champion | Team "Ya Got Me"
    • View Profile
    • MMA Combat Card Game
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »
Howabout "remake" type cards...

i.e.- Help is on the Way ( You cannot pack the card title "Tori Enters the Fray") etc.

I'd be up for seeing all of the TK cards put up as RDPC reprints/remakes, such as Jimmy, Divine, etc.

Now if we can get Macek to foil us some cards for each years "World Championships"...
Former World Champion card player and current game designer! Get ready to fight (coming to Kickstarter soon!)

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +493/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 08:14:56 AM »
Dude.  -smacks forehead-  That idea is so good, I'm kicking myself for not coming up with earlier.  :)

Something like... <R> Two-Timing - Pack this card: You may not pack Revolution Two For the Show.  This card counts as that card for card effects.  (insert remaining text of 2/Show).

So then, the question remains.. what cards would we do?  My Way, 2 for the Show, Divine Intervention... those are obvious.  Just not sure what else...

CREED

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline KevinPeters

• 2007 Origins All Axxess Champion
  • +0/-2
  • Member of Team Raw Deal Evolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 08:21:14 AM »
Creed, what is your goal with this subset? To clean up All Axcess? Tie up loose ends left by Barron/Mike?

I haven't been paying real close attention til I realized I had axcess to this discussion. Yeah, dumb me for not wising up sooner, lol.

These are going to be printed on card stock or printable along lines of your DX promos from 2-3 years ago? Just curious.

Reprint prize cards that do something else? Why? Make new card names.

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +493/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 10:47:21 AM »
Hi Kevin, welcome!

To better understand the goal of this, I'd encourage the reading of the thread "READ FIRST: Introduction & New Mechanic"  :)

This THREAD, this conversation, is about the concept of making ridiculously hard to find cards like Two for the Show and My Way available to all in 'proxy' format, since there's no chance of future reprinting.

I have no powerball winnings to speak of, so no - I'm not printing anything.  :)  These are intended to be printable like the DX promos, with every card Unique so only one copy of any card is truly needed (diehard can always print multiple copies for multiple logos, different Superstars, etc)

As far as new card names - check the other threads, there's tons of them.  ;)

CREED

Offline BrysonYuzyk

• +7/-2
  • A better, happier you.
    • View Profile
    • RawDealPlanet
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 12:57:01 PM »
Hi Kevin, welcome!

To better understand the goal of this, I'd encourage the reading of the thread "READ FIRST: Introduction & New Mechanic"  :)

This THREAD, this conversation, is about the concept of making ridiculously hard to find cards like Two for the Show and My Way available to all in 'proxy' format, since there's no chance of future reprinting.

I have no powerball winnings to speak of, so no - I'm not printing anything.  :)  These are intended to be printable like the DX promos, with every card Unique so only one copy of any card is truly needed (diehard can always print multiple copies for multiple logos, different Superstars, etc)

As far as new card names - check the other threads, there's tons of them.  ;)

CREED

I always thought Powerball was the sport of the future, played in huge spherical arenas by deadly combatants surrounded by terrifying traps.

When you said the above, I kinda stopped and thought about this for a while, until it made more sense...but it's still a good image of CREED hip checking someone into a pit of flaming spikes to capture the gold.

Offline Daeva

• Administrator
  • +319/-214
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 01:39:11 PM »
I always thought Powerball was the sport of the future, played in huge spherical arenas by deadly combatants surrounded by terrifying traps.

When you said the above, I kinda stopped and thought about this for a while, until it made more sense...but it's still a good image of CREED hip checking someone into a pit of flaming spikes to capture the gold.

I'm with you until the hip checking. I have a hard time seeing Creed trying to knock a guy aside as opposed to, say, punching him in the face or just slipping past him as we've all seen at conventions and Worlds galore.
"You're no fun." -Creed
Evidence is everything in a court of law. Evidence is also everything in the Rules Forum.

Offline MediumSexy

• +103/-103
  • 2008 Raw Deal World Champion | Team "Ya Got Me"
    • View Profile
    • MMA Combat Card Game
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 11:32:11 AM »
My internet will be active on Tuesday! Well... hopefully anyways. Look for plenty of feedback and suggestions... I'll also be posting a "review" of each card from my perspective within a week after getting the net. Keep in mind when I do that my opinions will be based on my playstyle, personal character and metagame. In the meantime, if Creed doesn't mind, I'd love to see other thoughts and reviews on these cards from the other alpha testers.
Former World Champion card player and current game designer! Get ready to fight (coming to Kickstarter soon!)

Offline Daeva

• Administrator
  • +319/-214
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 05:36:43 PM »
My internet will be active on Tuesday! Well... hopefully anyways. Look for plenty of feedback and suggestions... I'll also be posting a "review" of each card from my perspective within a week after getting the net. Keep in mind when I do that my opinions will be based on my playstyle, personal character and metagame. In the meantime, if Creed doesn't mind, I'd love to see other thoughts and reviews on these cards from the other alpha testers.

Just one request, mate: when you do your "review", throw it in its own separate thread.
"You're no fun." -Creed

Offline GamerZombie

• +8/-9
  • Road to Victory to draw a card!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 12:14:29 AM »
Yea TK cards and promos like Raw Deal Revolution. "Staple" cards aren't a bad idea either (Revo/Mind, Manager, Sloppy, Don't Try, Once is enough, and Cow on ice). I keep having to scour ebay so my play group can get those. I also like the idea of "like" cards.
Example: Messy, Very Messy (Sloppy)
Yea that's a terrible name change. You get the point!
In the end isn't this leaning more toward a Survivor Series type of idea? Heck why not just make SS4?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 12:17:32 AM by GamerZombie »
-Collin Simon- (Guy with the Raw Deal sign at MiB 15')
--The Guardtower Raw Deal League Organizer--
---The Guardtower, Columbus Ohio

Offline CRASHER

• +90/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 04:52:22 PM »
I think it's an excellent idea!

Cards like the Champ is here would be most welcome too

then again if you have a quality laser printer at home you could make and print your own copies too.... if this was to be legal... why not make a backup copy so your irreplacable original can't get damaged in play!
*IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII* AM the Super Show 2017 Tag Team Champions!!!!!!