Author Topic: The Belief-O-Matic, with religious discussion  (Read 2176 times)

Queensryche

The Belief-O-Matic, with religious discussion
« on: March 06, 2008, 09:23:26 PM »
NOTE: Since this involves religion, I decided to put it here. With that said, here goes:

I was just reminded of this: http://www.beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html

I took it again and looked at the results. Here was my top four:

1. Mahayana Buddhism, 100% match
2. Liberal Quaker, 98% match
3. Unitarian Universalism 95% match
4. Baha'i Faith, 91% match

Ironically, Roman Catholicism, the religion I was brought up in, was dead last for me.

I tend to be rather liberal, and in general find that for the most part, the major religions in the US don't do much for me. I don't believe particularly in sacraments to gain salvation, and don't think that most of the rituals with mainstream Christianity are necessary. My thoughts are that as long as you live justly, forgive those that hurt you, confess to those who you hurt and ask for forgiveness, and help others, then no matter what path you choose, you will gain salvation.

I'm particularly put off by Catholicism nowadays, especially since the current Pope (Benedict XVI) seems intent on pleasing those Catholics that rejected the Second Vatican Council, rather than, as my Uncle Sonny (a Catholic deacon) said, "getting the band back together". Pope John XXIII had the right idea, since he realized that what worked 500 years ago doesn't work in society today, and that just as long as the faithful get the general gist of things, then we'll be OK. My Uncle Sonny in particular said, "It's a shame that John XXIII died right in the middle of the Council, or otherwise it might've gone further than it actually did." Unfortunately, unless the College of Cardinals elects another liberal pontiff by accident (like with John XXIII, who many thought wouldn't do much), then I'll likely continue to be put off by it. This isn't bashing Catholicism in any way, but just my observations on it and why it doesn't jibe with me.

I was kinda surprised that Buddhism is a perfect fit for me, but apparently according to that test it matches me best. I know it's not completely accurate, but hey, whatever.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Offline Homeless

• +69/-71
  • ROCK!
    • View Profile
Re: The Belief-O-Matic, with religious discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 11:50:31 AM »
buddhism is actually pretty interesting. if you haven't read much about it, you should. if i were any kind of spiritual, i'd probably be buddhist. i've only read like 2 books about it... but hey, it almost had me.

my results were:
1.  Secular Humanism (100%) 
2.  Unitarian Universalism (93%) 
3.  Nontheist (88%) 

and the last one was jehovah's witness with 0%.

i've never really read anything about secular humanism, but the description they have sounds right on target of how i feel. i always just called myself atheist, and apparently most SH's are.

it sounds like you already have your own set of beliefs and honestly, there's no reason to label it.
what do you call a postman who just lost his job?
...i don't know...just some dude...

my honor, that's all i need. just my honor. and this colossus...

all those memories will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Offline quintastic

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 12:56:50 AM »

1.    Orthodox Quaker (100%)
2.    Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (92%)
3.    Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (84%)

Hmmm...maybe I should look up local Quaker churches? I mean, they share my belief generally that the 7 days rule doesn't really apply to literal 24 hours, they don't shun homosexuals from worship(not  gay but I do not believe in punishing gays for their choice), they don't belief baptism to be mandatory, and more used for uplifting experiences, and all that stuff. It doesn't tell me much flaws in their thinking however. My lowest compatibility was of course, Nontheism. lol.

Offline Turd Ferguson

• +19/-41
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 01:22:48 AM »
My results were very similar to Homeless' except Nontheism was 79% and UU was 91%.

Offline HalfBadger

• Team Canada's Genetic Jackhammer
  • +12/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 12:07:15 PM »
Although some of this test was interesting, I did feel it was quite transparent with many questions. Also many questions didn't properly define the words it used as well as didn't give nearly enough variety for responses. Most of the time I wanted to choose none of the above, but usually chose an answer that was closest to my idea system or the one I thought they had in their for my line of thinking

Here are my results:
1.    Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants  (100%)
2.    Orthodox Quaker (91%)
3.    Liberal Quakers (78%)
4.    Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (75%)

Since I am protestant and fairly liberal this didn't surprise me too much. I still feel though that 75% or so of their answers were badly worded or too constrictive. For example the one about the creation of the universe, mentions in the Bible..... less than 10'000 years ago. The Bible "doesn't" say the universe was created 10'000 years ago. Some people belief that, but not because of the Bible/some spiritual reason, but because a guy did some calculations.

Also Christianity and other popular/media mentioned spiritual systems are splintered in many groups, yet Pagans get lumped into Neo-Paganism. As a history, theological and anthropology buff this kinda ticks me off. In my point of view almost every question and responses splintering between Catholicism and Protestantism, but nothing for Paganism or Folklore, which I recall is practiced/believed by over 10% of Chinese making it by sheer numbers, more believed than many others on the list.

I found this funny though:

27.    Jehovah's Witness  (15%)

As a University student the idea system I got the least in, is the one that I heard doesn't allow members to attend post-secondary education.

It was interesting that (as far as I recall) none of the questions ask why you belief that. I guess that'd be a different survey and add another level of complexity/2nd dimension. Like not just being 100% inline with a belief in thinking, but also say 75% strong basis/reasoning for that system, since many people aren't exposed to variety of belief systems indirectly school, media etc nor directly, reading books, talking to other of that system etc.

Another thing I thought of (last one for now I got a lab to go to) is I don't think there was a question that really talked about how control your belief system leaders (if it's a human or if you have any) should have on your everyday life, since that seems to be a topic that I've heard talked a lot about and seems to be a distinguishing attribute of idea systems.
"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." - Sun-Tzu

2007 Winnipeg Regional Champion

Offline frehocc

• 2005 Raw Deal World Champion
  • TCO Donor
  • +221/-179
  • I think I just had an evilgasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 07:23:28 AM »
Hmmm. How did I get "Godless Sodomite" on my results?
Suckiest card... EVER... Frankie Takes Hollywood. Sucks so hard it is practically a black hole.
God of War gives it: 2 blades of chaos down

Offline LordFa9

• TCO Donor
  • +229/-252
    • View Profile
    • My Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 08:34:07 AM »
1.    Secular Humanism  (100%)
2.    Unitarian Universalism (94%)
3.    Nontheist (86%)
4.    Liberal Quakers (76%)

More or less there for me, i'm an atheist and i believe that people, not gods or divine powers like destiny are in control of their lives all the time and that every man can acquire a skill or talent that will put him above others, like a 'god'

but i can still accept other beliefs and wont put people down for it (but deep down inside...well i wont say)
WARNING: The above post is highly likely to be interpreted as a complaint or a show of ingratitude towards the RDPC. Read at own risk; viewer discretion is advised.