Author Topic: S P I R I T spirit squad  (Read 1476 times)

Offline thehoffman

• TCO Donor
  • +6/-4
  • Armageddon has Arrived
    • View Profile
S P I R I T spirit squad
« on: August 25, 2007, 10:38:58 AM »
125/170 (PREMIUM RARE – The Spirit Squad)
S-P-I-R-I-T-S-Q-U-A-D … SPIRIT SQUAD!
Pre-match Event
During any turn, you may skip your Draw Segment and then search your Arsenal for the card titled Give me an S … Give me a P … Give me an I … Give me an R … Give me an I … Give me a T …, reveal it to your opponent, put it into your hand, and shuffle your Arsenal.
Your opponent’s cards with the word “blank,” “loses,” or “switch” in the text are considered blank.
¶ ¶ ¶ (Activated Card Effect Symbol)
Permanent
F: 0 D: 0

when i activate this effect to search my arsenal before my turn can my opponent use a DTTAH to stop me?

Online dilbert505

• Raw Deal Rules Manager
  • Global Moderator
  • +50/-42
    • View Profile
Re: S P I R I T spirit squad
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 10:44:44 AM »
Nothing about either card indicates that he can't. When DTTAH is played in response to this, the search effect is reversed, you discard two cards, DTTAH tries and fails to remove the card, it goes to his Ring Area, and your turn ends. Unless I'm missing something really basic here (and I doubt it, because I've played it this way many a time with my Spirit Squad deck, and nobody I know has attempted to argue otherwise) that's the way it would go.
Universally Recognized as a Mature and Responsible Adult.

Playing on Lackey? I'm on US Eastern Time; you can check what time it is for me here.

Offline Doctor Barone

• Fake PhD. provded by Chad Dangler
  • +62/-42
  • Through being cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 11:05:46 AM »
Nothing about either card indicates that he can't. When DTTAH is played in response to this, the search effect is reversed, you discard two cards, DTTAH tries and fails to remove the card, it goes to his Ring Area, and your turn ends. Unless I'm missing something really basic here (and I doubt it, because I've played it this way many a time with my Spirit Squad deck, and nobody I know has attempted to argue otherwise) that's the way it would go.

I believe he is asking because the ACE is occurring before his turn, so he isn't sure if his opponent is allowed to play the reversal to it. I'm pretty sure you're right, though.
Joe Barone
Lifetime Ranking: 122

Creed's idiocy and lack of reading skills aside, it's what Barone says.

Offline The Hurricane

• The Holy Spirit of TCO
  • +103/-104
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 11:08:19 AM »
If you'd like a reference to how this card works you should take a look at Outsider Distraction. It's worded very much the same and you can DTTAH it so I figure you can do it to this also.
The Hurricane
Yes I'm still here!

Offline Dre

• 2007 Canadian Qualifier Champion
  • +12/-12
  • Cool Enough to BE a Halloween Costume.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 12:06:09 PM »
yeah .. to correct, its after the turn starts but before the draw phase (like outsider).

the cost of the ace is skipping the draw phase, so its a perfectly legal target.

exceptions: never gonna stop me is on edge's opponents turn so he cant do anything about it.

aside: dont try this doesnt have any of the words "blank" , "switch", or "loses" in the text, so squad doesnt get any fun shenanigans.

Online dilbert505

• Raw Deal Rules Manager
  • Global Moderator
  • +50/-42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 12:20:24 PM »

I believe he is asking because the ACE is occurring before his turn, so he isn't sure if his opponent is allowed to play the reversal to it. I'm pretty sure you're right, though.

Yeah. Dre covered it, but in order for you to skip your Draw Segment, it must be your turn first. According to the most recent Classic rulebook posted (Unforgiven. WTF?!)

Turn Order

1. Start of turn: Resolve any card effects that trigger on start of turn.  Also, your Superstar may have an ability you can only use now.

2. Draw Segment: Draw a card.  Some Superstars allow you to draw more than one card.

SPIRITSQUAD! Happens at the Start of Turn Segment, before the Draw, at which point it is legal for your opponent to play a reversal.
Universally Recognized as a Mature and Responsible Adult.

Playing on Lackey? I'm on US Eastern Time; you can check what time it is for me here.