Author Topic: Doing and shenanigans  (Read 336 times)

Offline bridgepete

• View Profile
Doing and shenanigans
« on: January 22, 2021, 01:24:40 PM »
Hello can you explain how shenanigans cards may work with Dong's ability? Will they still work to reduce his fortitude during any turn when moved from backstage?

Offline bridgepete

• View Profile
Re: Doing and shenanigans
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 01:26:20 PM »
Lol I spelled Doink wrong but hopefully you know what I mean

Offline dilbert505

• Raw Deal Rules Manager
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 01:29:08 PM »
I just responded to your PM about this, but since it may be a helpful reminder for others, I'll paste the reply here.

I'm going to start by pasting Doink's text here, because it's a good idea to have card text to refer back to.

Doink
    Starting Hand Size: 5     Superstar Value: 1
    Legend Superstar Ability: Once during each of your turns you may put 1 card from your Ringside pile into your Backstage area. During any turn, you may put any number of non-Superstar cards from your Backstage area into your Ringside pile and your next card played this turn is -2F for every card put into your Ringside pile this way. Your opponent’s non-F:0 cards are +1F for every card in your Backstage area.
    PRO

If you're asking about Shenanigans cards, I presume you're playing Virtual. (The answer changes if you're talking about regular backstage cards in Classic.) If you are playing Virtual, then it is highly likely that at least one player has revealed the card Defeating Villainous Shenanigans, which was released in Virtual 7, and reads as follows:

Defeating Villainous Shenanigans
    Backstage Card
    All players' Stun the Crowd and Straight-Shootin' Interview cards are Active, and are not considered to have 'shoot' in the title for their cards' effects.
    Any player's Superstar-specific cards do not count for Your Town.
    When any player is Doink, cards with 'shenanigans' in the title are not considered to be in his Backstage Area for his Ability.
    Unique     RMS

That last line means that, when you use Doink's ability, "Shenanigans" cards are treated as though they are not there. They do not increase the fortitude of your opponent's cards, whether they are in the Backstage or not, because they are considered not to be there. However, moving cards from the Backstage is part of his ability, too. That means that if the only cards in your Backstage are Shenanigans cards, Doink's ability looks at the Backstage, goes "well, there's nothing there, I can't move any cards," and you continue on.

If you have another effect, not part of his ability, that moves cards from the Backstage, you may use it, and the Shenanigans cards would be a valid target for that, but when you use Doink's ability, any part of it, the Shenanigans cards cannot be interacted with.
Universally Recognized as a Mature and Responsible Adult.

Playing on Lackey? I'm on US Eastern Time; you can check what time it is for me here.

Offline bridgepete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 01:32:13 PM »
Got it and thanks!!!!

Offline Kingsantino92

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 07:55:04 AM »
Also I heard that Who's Under the Paint is a print error and is actually a Unique card? Is that true?

Offline Keith0913832

• TCO Donor
  • Onward with the <R>evolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 09:53:48 AM »
Also I heard that Who's Under the Paint is a print error and is actually a Unique card? Is that true?

From FAQ:

Who's Under the Paint?
ERRATA: This card is missing the Unique trait due to a printing error; however, it is Unique.