Author Topic: Retribution Deck Ideas  (Read 340 times)

Offline MonkeyLord13

• View Profile
Retribution Deck Ideas
« on: June 22, 2021, 06:48:20 AM »
As I was going through V12, Retribution immediately clicked with me.

(Quick aside: I couldn't stand Retribution as an on-screen gimmick. They always felt like the second coming of the Nexus, which wouldn't let me get past how disappointingly the Nexus angle ended, so I never gave them a fair shake, which, in retrospect was for the best. But every couple of expansions, going all the way back to the original Mania expansion, I see a superstar that I can't stand on TV, but become immediately infatuated with their cards. Apparently Retribution is my new love/hate superstar.)

I'm really intrigued by their ability, but due to the accumulated existence of real life, find myself thinking only of possibilities, not of actual tactics. So, I'm taking the cheap way out: what are some builds or concepts that people have though of running with Retribution? Are there any traps for the unwary that you've already noticed with them?

And, as a semi-rules question, say I pack Backstage Ambush Attempt in my backlash per their ability, then shuffle it into my arsenal per Upend the System. When I draw it into my hand, am I correct in understanding I can then play it from hand and have my opponent immediately resolve the cut/overturn effect? That's what I want to assume their ability means, but best that I confirm before I start trying to build any decks with them.

Offline Hogtrail

• View Profile
Re: Retribution Deck Ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 07:37:41 AM »
Backstage Ambush attempt, if successfully played from hand, will resolve normally.

I have them built with A Puncher's Chance. Going to work on a Backed by Vickie build later.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 07:44:56 AM by Hogtrail »

Offline dilbert505

• Raw Deal Rules Manager
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 07:51:35 AM »
They also make a very solid recursion deck with Trash Talkin' Interview/Backed by Terri/Chris Nowinski GRA.
Universally Recognized as a Mature and Responsible Adult.

Playing on Lackey? I'm on US Eastern Time; you can check what time it is for me here.

Offline BigPimpin

• Straight Gangsta, Foo'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 01:42:12 PM »
Volley also works with some number of Pyrotechnic Volleys split between the Arsenal and Backlash deck.

With the ability to play Pre-Match in the normal phases of the game, any card with "can only be played after a successfully played card" becomes better with them. 

My test build was a Heel/FF Blindside/Precision deck with a couple "Good cards" (Shoot Lock-up, Shoot Action) thrown in.  Blindside Drop Toe Hold isn't really a drawback when you can shuffle the card back into your deck and play it later.
Discord: MightyBP
Time Zone: EST
Available Lackey Hours: late nights (8-9 PM starts), some weekend evenings or morning.

100% reason to remember the name.

I'm the reason the hood need a dental plan.

Offline MonkeyLord13

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 07:16:06 AM »
What about a chain build, based on Clubbed by a MACE? While I realize that I can't use chain to search for a Backlash card that does not have the printed Chain keyword, having an essentially irreversible prematch that lets me use the chain trait to search my arsenal for a printed Chain card seems like a viable way to keep up offense while I'm stocking my backlash deck with cards over the course of a game. I do see it as being somewhat costly in terms of handsize, since they lack much by way of draw in their kit, but given that (like Volley) they are relatively difficult to reverse cards that generally do not have the word "reverse" in their text, they would also continue to work well with T-BAR's Intimidating Presence.

Offline Hogtrail

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 08:26:02 AM »
You could even use SLAPJACK to search for f:0 chain maneuvers, and ignore the play text on Atomic Bear Hug/Chain Finisher when played from hand