Author Topic: So You Want To Pop Wrestlemania?  (Read 191 times)

Online dilbert505

• Raw Deal Rules Manager
  • Global Moderator
  • +50/-42
    • View Profile
So You Want To Pop Wrestlemania?
« on: September 15, 2020, 10:06:10 PM »
WrestleMania
Pre-match Pay-Per-View Event
Can only be played when there is a Feud card in any Ring area.
The maximum number of Pre-match cards you may have in your Ring area is increased by 1.
If you are about to lose the game via Pinfall Victory, you may instead put this card into your Ringside pile and then all players put their hand on top of their Arsenal and then shuffle # cards from their Ringside pile into their Arsenal, where # is equal to double their Superstar Value. (This is not affected by the card titled Hell in a Cell Match.) End the current turn.
When this card is in your Ringside pile, before your Draw Segment, remove the top card of your Arsenal from the game.
Permanent  Unique  F: 0      D: 0

There are very few cards in all of Raw Deal that have resulted in as many questions as Wrestlemania, mostly revolving around two issues: "Do What You Can" vs. "Do It All Or Else", and "End the current turn." To clarify, I decided to put this down on paper, as the Definitive Wrestlemania Explanation (tm). (Note: This is not, in fact, trademarked, that is merely an affectation.) I plan to answer every question we hear frequently about Wrestlemania, so if something you need to know isn't addressed here, I will edit this post.

So, a couple quick and easy questions unrelated to the thorny ones to get us kicked off.

1) Can I play Wrestlemania if there isn't a Feud card out?
   A) Not normally, no, but there are ways to get around that, Madison Square Garden being the most broadly applicable.

2) What happens when Wrestlemania is RFG?
   A) Before your Draw Segment, you enjoy a moment of peace knowing you don't have to RFG the top card of your Arsenal.

3) What if I have 0 cards in my Arsenal, and I'm going to lose, but I haven't taken any more damage. Can I pop Wrestlemania?
   A) No, that's called a Count Out, and those aren't Pinfalls. You'll be wanting Duchess of Queensberry Rules Match for that.

OK, now the real ones.

"Do What You Can" vs. "Do It All Or Else"

4) Wrestlemania says that all players have to shuffle cards from their Ringside into their Arsenal. What happens if Wrestlemania's owner doesn't have enough cards?
   A) That player can't activate Wrestlemania. If a card requires a cost to be paid for an effect to occur, you must be able to both pay the cost and complete the effect to trigger the effect.

5) Wrestlemania says that all players have to shuffle cards from their Ringside into their Arsenal. What happens if the other player doesn't have enough cards?
   A) They are free to shuffle in as many cards as they have. All that is required is for Wrestlemania's owner to be able to pay the cost and fulfill the effect; their opponent's state of play is not their concern.

6) I'm popping Wrestlemania, and I have Heat cards in my Ringside. What happens?
   A) First, set aside your Heat cards. Do you still have enough valid targets to complete the effect? Yes? Good, then RFG your Heat cards and continue on. No? Then put everything back, you can't pop Wrestlemania, and you lose the game unless you have a different means of continuing it.

7) I'm popping Wrestlemania, and my opponent has Heat cards in his Ringside. What happens?
   A) Your opponent shuffles back up to the appropriate number of cards. He does not have to remove his Heat cards from the game, because you are forcing him to shuffle, and Heat only removes itself from the game if the player has the option not to shuffle and chooses to do so anyway. He may shuffle in Heat cards, because they are not being removed by the Heat trait.

End the Current Turn

Scenario A: Wrestlemania's Owner is Pinned on their Opponent's Turn

8 ) My opponent played a maneuver. I was pinned by damage, and I popped Wrestlemania. What happens now?
   A) The remaining damage is considered resolved as of the generation of the Pinfall Victory condition. Wrestlemania pops, it erases the Pinfall Victory condition, Wrestlemania's effect is resolved, and the turn ends.

9) My opponent played Shane O'Mac Delivers the BASH/Rock's Spit Punch/something else that resolves an overturn effect before damage (an Inferno Match's outside effect would also fit here.) I was pinned by the overturn effect, and I popped Wrestlemania. What happens now?
   A) The turn cannot end with effects pending. The overturn effect was resolved as of the generation of the Pinfall Victory condition, but the damage was not. Wrestlemania pops, it erases the Pinfall Victory condition, Wrestlemania's effect is resolved, but the damage must still be resolved. After that, the turn ends.

10) My opponent played G.T.S., which triggers a Pinfall Victory condition when successful and not reversed from Arsenal. I was pinned by the damage from the GTS, and popped Wrestlemania. What happens now?
   A) The remaining damage is considered resolved as of the generation of the Pinfall Victory condition. Wrestlemania pops, it erases the Pinfall Victory condition from the damage of the card, and Wrestlemania's effect is resolved. However, the second Pinfall Victory condition, from G.T.S., is still outstanding. If neither player has revealed Nostalgia Shenanigans, Wrestlemania's player may attempt to use another effect that continues the game, to eliminate the second Pinfall Victory condition; if Nostalgia Shenanigans is revealed, the game ends via pinfall, as the game cannot be continued more than once.

Scenario B: Wrestlemania's Owner is Pinned on their Own Turn

11) So I popped Wrestlemania on my own turn, and my opponent reversed the ACE...
   A) You lose. Good day sir.

11b) But...
   A) No. That's the risk you take popping an ACE on your own turn. (This is all to say "assume, in all other questions below, that the ACE of Wrestlemania is not reversed, so I don't have to explain that part.")

12) I have 4 cards in my Arsenal. I hide 5th Anniversary. It pins me. I pop Wrestlemania. What happens?
   A) Turns cannot end with effects pending. The overturn is considered resolved when the Pinfall Victory condition comes into play. You resolve Wrestlemania with the exception of the end the turn effect, you shuffle back 5 for 5th Anniversary, then the turn ends.

13) I have 4 cards in my Arsenal, and I play a Grapple. My opponent plays Spine Buster TB, and I take 4 damage before I am pinned. I pop Wrestlemania. Wha happun?
   A) The damage is considered resolved when the Pinfall Victory condition comes into play. You resolve Wrestlemania and the turn ends.

14) I have 4 cards in my Arsenal, and I play a Multi Grapple. My opponent plays Spine Buster TB, and I take 4 damage before I am pinned. I pop Wrestlemania. Wha happun nao?
   A) Turns cannot end with effects pending. The damage from Spine Buster TB is considered resolved when the Pinfall Victory condition comes into play, but your maneuver is not yet resolved. You resolve Wrestlemania with the exception of the end the turn effect, and your opponent may attempt to finish reversing your maneuver. Now, we enter the wonderful world of Multiple Possibilities.
   Scenario A) Your maneuver is successful. You return to Step 6 of your maneuver's Timing Breakdown, finish resolving your maneuver, and then Wrestlemania ends the turn.
   Scenario B) Your maneuver is successful. You return to Step 6 of your maneuver's Timing Breakdown, and your maneuver is reversed from Arsenal. You now have two "End the turn" effects. This matters if you plan to continue your turn using something like Rabid Wolverine; otherwise it is the same as the prior scenario.
   Scenario C) Your opponent completely reverses your maneuver. Resolve the text and damage of his additional reversals; if they generate a Pinfall Victory for your opponent, you may attempt to continue the game again if Nostalgia Shenanigans is not revealed by either player. If it is, or if you have no other means to continue the game, the game is over. If the additional reversals do not generate a Pinfall Victory for your opponent, you now have two "End the turn" effects, should you wish to continue your turn.

15) Something you haven't thought of already, Dilbert...
   A) Well, then I'll have to think of it before I answer it.

OK, there we go, that covers pretty much everything I can think of with respect to how Wrestlemania works, and how it does not work. Should anyone have other questions, you know where to find me. I will request that a link to this post be stickied in the Discord, and will link to it in the Virtual FAQ. Now go play cards.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 07:56:25 AM by dilbert505 »
Universally Recognized as a Mature and Responsible Adult.

Playing on Lackey? I'm on US Eastern Time; you can check what time it is for me here.