Author Topic: Coming back to the game and need deck help.  (Read 256 times)

Offline OmegaStar

• +1/-3
    • View Profile
Coming back to the game and need deck help.
« on: August 01, 2020, 08:42:06 AM »
Hi all.  I'm coming back to the game after being out for 5+ years.  Going through my cards I decided to challenge myself and make a Chavo deck.  I have no idea of how I should build him, however.  Would he be decent as a control deck, tossing High Risks for reversals and recursion?  Perhaps aggro with Multis and High Risks?  I'm missing his UR finisher but I believe I have everything else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  TIA!

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +494/-369
    • View Profile
Re: Coming back to the game and need deck help.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 09:44:20 AM »
Chavo gains a LOT in the Virtual sets, though you might not have explored that avenue yet. However, his core engine still works well. He has several options as you mention, but you could use a mix of them and try to strike a balance. Sometimes you're tossing that High Risk for more recursion, sometimes you're picking it up to launch an offense.

FYI - he doesn't have a UR TMF, he had the Inverted Powerbomb (which is kind of 'meh' IMO) from the Los Guerreros set, the non-Unique Premium Rare called The Gory Bomb, and his URs were the One for One reversal in No Way Out, and The Three Amigos in Great American Bash. (Also, he gets Third Generation Superstar from Randy Orton's set, and the El Paso, Texas Venue along with Eddie)

To me, he definitely leans Smackdown so one idea is to use the US Title to reach 3SV and Premiere Smackdown Superstar for more card draw, which further reduces the opponent's Pre-match slots with Chavo's My Life For You Pre-match. Then you can fetch Diving Takedowns to whittle down an opponent's hand while building your own.

Alternately, you could go with the Technical set, since every one fetches another Technical as a maneuver, so you could get a Tech. Stomp or Splash, then discard it to put some cards back (including a Technical!)

Some cards you might look at:

Counter Slash - could be helpful early on, since they can't be Elbowed or hit with Revolution of the Mind. Later on when they are more reversible as the opponent's Fortitude rises, use them for the Ability instead.
Flying Leg Scissors TB - with the US title, or any other Smackdown PM, you can get hit and respond with Dirty Low Blow into this as a 2/8 High Risk.
Flying Clothesline TB - a 5/10 HR that can be played after any maneuver, so Sustained Damage won't limit your ability to play this card for a big Fortitude jump.

Hopefully these ideas help!

CREED
"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline OmegaStar

• +1/-3
    • View Profile
Re: Coming back to the game and need deck help.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 12:00:31 PM »
Thanks Creed!  I appreciate the advice.

I think our group will be staying classic, but I'll have to check out his virtual cards.

Thanks again!

Chavo gains a LOT in the Virtual sets, though you might not have explored that avenue yet. However, his core engine still works well. He has several options as you mention, but you could use a mix of them and try to strike a balance. Sometimes you're tossing that High Risk for more recursion, sometimes you're picking it up to launch an offense.

FYI - he doesn't have a UR TMF, he had the Inverted Powerbomb (which is kind of 'meh' IMO) from the Los Guerreros set, the non-Unique Premium Rare called The Gory Bomb, and his URs were the One for One reversal in No Way Out, and The Three Amigos in Great American Bash. (Also, he gets Third Generation Superstar from Randy Orton's set, and the El Paso, Texas Venue along with Eddie)

To me, he definitely leans Smackdown so one idea is to use the US Title to reach 3SV and Premiere Smackdown Superstar for more card draw, which further reduces the opponent's Pre-match slots with Chavo's My Life For You Pre-match. Then you can fetch Diving Takedowns to whittle down an opponent's hand while building your own.

Alternately, you could go with the Technical set, since every one fetches another Technical as a maneuver, so you could get a Tech. Stomp or Splash, then discard it to put some cards back (including a Technical!)

Some cards you might look at:

Counter Slash - could be helpful early on, since they can't be Elbowed or hit with Revolution of the Mind. Later on when they are more reversible as the opponent's Fortitude rises, use them for the Ability instead.
Flying Leg Scissors TB - with the US title, or any other Smackdown PM, you can get hit and respond with Dirty Low Blow into this as a 2/8 High Risk.
Flying Clothesline TB - a 5/10 HR that can be played after any maneuver, so Sustained Damage won't limit your ability to play this card for a big Fortitude jump.

Hopefully these ideas help!

CREED