Author Topic: Virtual for Beginners part 2: Non-Specific Backstage Area  (Read 321 times)

Offline Hogtrail

• +16/-5
    • View Profile
Virtual for Beginners part 2: Non-Specific Backstage Area
« on: May 17, 2020, 01:03:15 PM »
Virtual for Beginners
Part 2: Non-Specific Backstage Area Cards

Welcome to the wonderful world of Virtual Raw Deal! These series of articles will be designed to help you matriculate yourself into the Virtual Raw Deal community.

In Classic Raw Deal there were only a handful of Backstage Area cards. In Virtual, however, there are a number of them. In this article I will cover every non-Superstar-Specific Backstage Area Card. I will tell you which ones are useful, which ones not to bother with, and  maybe some strategies attached to them. For the sake of these articles, I'm going to skip over the virtual enforcer and PRO cards, and I have already discussed the 'Shenanigans' cards in the last article

Each card will be rated on it's usefulness, and I will share a brief overview.

Virtual 1:

Don't be "That" Guy!
Backstage Card
When packing this card, you can only pack 1 other non-Superstar-specific Backstage card that does not have 'shenanigans' in the title.  Cannot be packed by Doink or Andre the Giant.
Non-Superstar Specific non-reversal cards with the text 'you win the game' have blank text.  No player can play That's It or Goodnight, Everybody!
You may hide this card to completely reverse any card with "That's" in the title.
Unique

Usefulness: 1/10
Overview: You will never pack this card. The risk far outweighs the rewards. Unless your local meta plays nothing but “That's” decks, this card will never be packed. All the good cards that say “You win the game via pinfall victory” all have the RMS anyway, so they cannot be blanked.

Feminine Wiles
Backstage Card
Can only be packed by a Diva, Moolah or Mae Young.
At the end of the Pre-match phase, when your opponent is a Male superstar, you may hide this card to blank 1 of his revealed non-Enforcer Backstage cards.
Unique     RMS logo

Usefulness: 6/10
Overview: This card can be very useful for anyone wishing to build a Diva. It has the ability to blank any Backstage card that can be blanked – the most useful typically being the Anniversary cards (more on that later). The only reason this card isn't more useful is because of another card I'll be covering later that improves Diva superstars.

Hometown Hero
Backstage Card
Cannot be packed by Doink.
You can play a Venue when your opponent has a Venue in his Ring.
When all players have a Venue in their Ring, your Starting Hand Size is -2.
Unique

Usefulness: 9/10
Overview: One complaint I've heard Classic players say about Virtual is that there are no drawbacks to using the best cards. With this card, I give you a drawback! This card will allow someone with a low superstar value (SSV) to play a venue even if your opponent already has one in his ring – at the cost of -2 cards to his starting hand. So now people who have a specific Pre-Match Venue (Like all the Dudleys) who might not always have the chance to play it, now have that opportunity.

Pulled Some Strings To Get My Match
Backstage Card
Cannot be packed by Doink. When packing this card, you cannot pack Hell In a Cell Match or Inferno Match.
Your Stipulation cards cannot be blanked.  When your opponent is Chris Benoit, you may play 1 Stipulation regardless of A Victim of the Crippler.  You cannot play Venue or Manager cards.
Unique

Usefulness: 8/10
Overview: Oh my goodness, another card with a drawback! This card, similar to Hometown Hero, allows you to protect your stipulation at the cost of not getting a Manager or Venue. So now Kurt Angle and Chris Benoit don't have to worry about someone blanking their First To Tap Out Match. Or a Foreign Object deck doesn't have to worry about someone blanking Chicago Street Fight, allowing them to employ their strategy as they see fit.

The House That Hardcore Built
Backstage Card
This card is considered Superstar-specific.
Can only be packed when you have an ECW card in your Backstage Area.  When packing this card, you cannot pack nWo cards.
Your Foreign Objects are -4F, and your opponent’s non-Unique reversals to your Foreign Object and Extreme cards deal no damage.
Your Revolution ECW Originals gains your logo, and cards with "ECW" in the title do not take up a Pre-match slot in your Ring.
Unique     ECW logo     RMS logo

Usefulness: 10/10 (for ECW Superstars)
Overview: Virtual as added a number of ECW Superstars to Raw Deal, and this card is a must pack for all of them (Except maybe Tazz – just because he doesn't care about Foreign Objects that much). Foreign Objects have always been more fun than they were good, but now for the ECW guys, they can be just as competitive as other build types.

The Numbers Game
Backstage Card
Can only be packed by Right To Censor, Hall & Nash, The People's Team, The Dangerous Alliance, FBI, The Home Team, The Heat Seekers, The Spirit Squad, or a Stable.  When packing this card, you may pack Handicap Match.
You are a Stable, and your opponent cannot play Handicap Match.  When he is not a Stable, you may ignore the "Can only be played..." text on Handicap Match, and he must discard 1 card to play a Run-in.
Unique

Usefulness: 10/10 (for stables)
Overview: This card is great for Stables because it allows you to play Handicap Match against anyone (excluding other Stables). BTW, Handicap Match got a virtual throwback which I'll cover in the next article. One other thing to notice, opponent has to discard in order to be able to play a run in, and that includes during the Pre-Match phase...

Virtual 4:

Classic Competitor
Backstage Card
This card is always considered to be hidden.
Can only be packed by a WWF Superstar.
When this card is hidden, you may ignore the 'Can be reversed...' text on your maneuvers with 'classic' in the title, and once during each of your turns you may reveal 1 maneuver with 'classic' in the title from hand, reveal up to 1 maneuver with 'classic' in the title in your Ringside, and put the revealed cards on the bottom of your Arsenal.
Unique

Overview: WWF Superstars get an added bonus to their maneuvers with “Classic” in the title. The Classic maneuvers, normally, aren't that great. But Classic Competitor makes them a lot better. The only reason this doesn't have a 10/10 is because a lot of WWF superstars won't bother with those maneuvers anyway.

Jimmy Hart's Megaphone
Backstage Card
Header text:  Can only be revealed from your Backstage area when you play a Manager with 'Legendary' or 'Jimmy' in the title.
This card may be moved into your Arsenal.
During your first turn of the game, you may shuffle this card from your Backstage Area into your Arsenal.
You may play this card from hand as if it was F: 20 and a "Reversal: Superstar specific non-maneuver card"; when you have lower Fortitude, as if it was F: 10.
Unique     D: 2

Overview: Every legend's favorite manager Jimmy Hart gets another toy. This one is essentially the 61st card of your arsenal. It's a free card, so that's nice, but Legends get another Backstage Card that has largely replaced Jimmy Hart...

Legendary Defense
Backstage Card
This card is always considered to be hidden.
Can only be packed by a Legend, except Doink.  Cannot be packed when packing non-Superstar-specific Managers.
When packing this card, your Step Aside, Escape Move, and Break the Hold cards are Unique.  When this card is hidden, they can reverse any Strike, Grapple, Submission, Assault, Throw, or Hold; and your Lift a Boot cards can also reverse Extremes and ignore their 'Can only be played...' text.
Unique     RMS logo

Overview: This card is REALLY good. The only reason it isn't a 10/10 is because Jimmy Hart is still a great manager, and anyone wanting to pack him instead of this card is totally justified. This card, however, gives you 3 totally recyclable omni-reversals – which is VERY welcome.

Mr. Fuji's Cane
Backstage Card
Header text:  Can only be revealed from your Backstage area when you play Managed by Mr. Fuji.
This card may be moved into your Arsenal.
During your first turn of the game, you may shuffle this card from your Backstage Area into your Arsenal.
You may play this card from hand as if it was F: 25 and a "Reversal: Superstar specific maneuver"; when you have lower Fortitude, as if it was F: 15.
Unique     D: 2

Usefulness: 7/10
Overview: Managed by Mr. Fuji is a very underrated manager in VRD, especially for WWF superstars. This card act the same at Jimmy Harts Megaphone, except it reverses better cards.

Virtual 5:

Dynamically Inclined
Backstage Card
Before starting hands are drawn, search your Arsenal and Ringside for 10 non-Trademark-Finisher maneuvers with "dynamic" in the title, put them under this card, and shuffle;  if you do not, hide this card.  At the end of the Pre-match Phase, choose 1 card under this card, put it into your hand, and shuffle the other cards into your Arsenal.
Your Pre-match Capacity is +1 for each The Luck of The Draw card in your Ring greater than 1.
Your non-Unique maneuvers with "dynamic" in the title are -3F and +2D.
When you have lower Fortitude, your opponent is considered to have double the number of reversals in his Ring for your effects with "dynamic" in the title or text.
Unique     RMS logo

Usefulness: 10/10 (for Dynamic decks)
Overview: This card gave Dynamic the boost it greatly needed. Puts a maneuver in your hand, and prevents you from drawing a handful of dynamic maneuvers in your opening hand. Getting a couple free Luck of the Draws is also very nice.

The Nexus Armband
Backstage Card
This card is always considered to be revealed.
Can only be packed by a Rookie, The Nexus or New Nexus.
Cannot be packed when packing Allegiances or a Pro.
Your opponent cannot play Backstage Shenanigans.
Your cards with 'interfere' in the title are -3F and he discards 1 card when they are successfully played.
Unique     RMS logo

Overview: This is a good card, which normally would have a higher rating. However, Rookie superstars get much better NXT support that prevents them from packing this card.

The NXT Breakout Star
Backstage Card
Can only be packed by an NXT Superstar.
This card is considered Superstar-specific.
Do not discard for Armageddon Is Upon Us.
Once during each of your turns, you may overturn 4 cards and then draw 1 card; when you have lower Fortitude, overturn 2 less cards.
Unique     RMS logo

Usefulness: 10/10 (for NXT)
Overview: Not discarding for AIUU would honestly be enough, but this card has the added bonus of being able to draw an extra card at the cost of overturning 4 (or 2). Great card.

Connecting With the WWE Universe
Backstage Card
Cannot be packed by a Legend (except Mick Foley) or Cryme Tyme.
When packing this card and you are not Mick Foley, you may only pack 1 other non-Superstar-specific Backstage card, and you may pack up to 8 cards with 'cheap pop' in the title (up to 12 when you are Mick Foley) in your Backstage Area; at the end of the Pre-match phase, reveal those cards and shuffle them into your Arsenal.
Your first card played each turn with 'cheap pop' in the title cannot be reversed by hybrid or BASH reversals, and your Get Crowd Support and Cheap Accolades cards are -1F for every card in your Ring with 'cheap pop' in the title.
Unique     RMS logo     SS logo

Usefulness: 6/10 (10/10 for Mick Foley)
Overview: While you gain an additional 8 cards (12 for Foley), the drawback of this card may not always be worth it. And the cheap pop cards are simply just OK. Worth considering for action heavy superstars.

Preparing for One Hell of a Match
Backstage Card
Cannot be packed by a Legend, except The Devil's Favorite Demon, or by Torrie Wilson.
When packing this card and you are not The Devil's Favorite Demon, you may not pack non-Superstar-specific Backstage cards, and you may pack up to 6 cards with 'the hell' in the title (up to 9 when you are The Devil's Favorite Demon) in your Backstage Area; at the end of the Pre-match phase, reveal those cards and shuffle them into your Arsenal.
Your opponent cannot prevent you from playing cards with 'the hell' in the title, and he may not draw cards when they are successfully played.
Unique     RMS logo     SS logo

Usefulness: 2/10 (10/10 for The Devil's Favorite Demon)
Overview: Unless you are The Devil's Favorite Demon, you are unlikely to be packing this card. Not as good as it's Cheap Pop counterpart.

Virtual 7:

'Cause Adam Crites Said So
Backstage Area
Can only be revealed at the Adam Crites Memorial Tournament, or when you play The "On One" Arena, Ontario, California.
When you shuffle and draw cards for One!, add 1 to those numbers.
During your turn, you may hide this card and shuffle 1 card from your Ringside into your Arsenal; during the Adam Crites Memorial Tournament, you may shuffle 2 cards instead.
Unique     RMS logo

Usefulness: 3/10
Overview: This card (and the next card) aren't bad cards, but the On One Arena simply isn't that great, and neither is One!.

Best There Is, Best There Was
Backstage Area
Can only be revealed at the Adam Crites Memorial Tournament, or when you play The "On One" Arena, Ontario, California; that card does not take up a slot in your Ring.
When you have 2+ cards in your hand, you may hide this card to completely reverse any Chain, Heat, or Volley card, and then overturn 2 cards and discard 2 cards.
Unique     RMS logo

Usefulness: 5/10
Overview: This card is better than the previous card, only because it gives you a free pre-match slot, and gives you the chance to reverse a chain/heat/volley maneuver.

Virtual 8:

Cruiserweight-Style Action
Backstage Card
* Can only be revealed when High-Flying Style is put into your Ring.
This card is considered Superstar-specific. Cannot be packed by Doink.
Your opponent cannot prevent you from playing From the Top Rope and From the Middle Turnbuckle, or play Restricted Use In This Area in response to those cards, and they are considered Unique for Old School Cage Match and antics for Not On My Broadcast.
Your non-Throwback Japanese Arm Drag is -6F and High Risk; when you Fortitude Rating is 3-, it is considered Unique and cannot be reversed from Backlash.
During his turn when you have lower Fortitude and overturn Back Flip, you may put that card into your Ring and end his turn.
Unique     RMS logo

Overview: High-Flying Style is a great card for high risk decks, and this card adds a few more goodies to your build. To me, the best part about this card is the improvement to Japanese Arm Drag. The only reason it isn't ranked higher is because it can be difficult to find room in your arsenal for Japanese Arm Drags and From the Top Ropes.

The Era of the Superstar
Backstage Card
Can only be packed by a Female Superstar. Cannot be packed by a GM. When packing this card, you are not a Diva and cannot pack cards as if you were a Diva.
You may ignore card effects from your opponent’s non-Superstar-specific cards with 'female' or 'diva' in the text that would move cards from your hand, reveal your hand, or allow him to search your Arsenal.
When played as a Counter, your maneuvers without ‘reversed’ in the text are -2F.
Unique     RMS logo

Overview: This card is a nice alternative to the Diva superstars. Giving them protection against certain hate-actions, and a discount to your maneuvers is always a good thing. The only reason it isn't a 10/10 is because Feminine Wiles is still a decent card and well worth packing if you are so inclined.

205 Live
Backstage Card
Can only be packed by a Cruiserweight. Cannot be packed when packing The NXT Breakout Star.
Cannot be blanked, and no player may look at cards under this card.
Before your Draw Segment, put any cards under this card into your Ringside, and you may put the top # cards of your Arsenal under this card; # is the number of maneuvers in your Ring, but cannot be less than 2 or greater than 5, and when you have cards under this card, draw 0 cards during your Draw Segment.
When you successfully play a card, put 1 random card under this card into your hand.
Unique

Usefulness: 1/10
Overview: At current, only Neville and Tajiri can pack this card. And not even they want to use it. I suppose if you use this card in conjunction with Evening Up The Odds (a virtual Pre-Match card) then it could perhaps be slightly useful, I however think its unnecessary.

Prize Cards:

Backstage Autograph Session
Backstage Area
Each player's Starting Hand Size is +1.
At the end of the Pre-match phase, each player may put 1 card from their Ringside on the bottom of their Arsenal.
Unique

Overview: I don't typically like adding cards to my opponent's hand, however I often find myself packing this card because of the increase it gives my hand. And this card is especially helpful if you overturn cards during the pre-match phase as it allows you to recover a card.

RAW DEAL Tenth Anniversary
Backstage Card
During your turn you may hide this card, overturn 4 cards, and then shuffle 4 cards from your Ringside into your Arsenal; when your Raw Deal Fifth Anniversary is not hidden, you may also shuffle 1 of your cards removed from the game into your Arsenal, and then draw 1 card.
Unique

Usefulness: 10/10
Overview: This is probably the best non-specific Backstage card in virtual. Far superior to the Fifth Anniversary card from Classic Raw Deal, Tenth makes you overturn 4 to recover 5 (1 of which is an RFG card like Divine Intervention or A Revolution Of The Mind). A must pack for EVERY superstar who can pack it.

That's it! All of the non-Specific Virtual Backstage cards, ranked by me, to hopefully help you figure out which ones you would like to use.

Thank you for reading this article. My next edition will cover the Pre-Match cards what virtual has added to it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 07:43:41 PM by Hogtrail »
Please Like The Film Slobs on Facebook and Twitter!

Offline CRASHER

• +91/-56
    • View Profile
Re: Virtual for Beginners part 2: Non-Specific Backstage Area
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 01:55:35 PM »
I LOVE this write-up, I really do (and yeah this is me being nice before I disagree on something....but I do love this write-up!!)
But I do disagree on two cards, but when you look at those two cards you need to see the whole as we call it "the ACMT Package"

'Cause Adam Crites Said So
Backstage Area
Can only be revealed at the Adam Crites Memorial Tournament, or when you play The "On One" Arena, Ontario, California.
When you shuffle and draw cards for One!, add 1 to those numbers.
During your turn, you may hide this card and shuffle 1 card from your Ringside into your Arsenal; during the Adam Crites Memorial Tournament, you may shuffle 2 cards instead.
Unique     RMS logo

Best There Is, Best There Was
Backstage Area
Can only be revealed at the Adam Crites Memorial Tournament, or when you play The "On One" Arena, Ontario, California; that card does not take up a slot in your Ring.
When you have 2+ cards in your hand, you may hide this card to completely reverse any Chain, Heat, or Volley card, and then overturn 2 cards and discard 2 cards.
Unique     RMS logo

The "On One" Arena, Ontario, California
Pre-match Venue
ACE:  When your opponent reverses any card from Arsenal on the first card, you may put this card into your Ringside, and then discard 2 cards and continue your turn.  When played at the Adam Crites Memorial Tournament, do not discard any cards.
When this card is in your Ringside and he reverses any card from Arsenal on the first card, you may remove this card from the game, discard 2 cards and continue your turn.
F: 0     D: 0     Universally Active     Permanent     SS logo

Backhand Slap - Throwback
Strike / Reversal: Special
When you are not The Godfather, cannot be packed when packing Sidewalk Slam.
As a maneuver, draw up to 2 cards, and your opponent puts 1 card from his hand on the bottom of his Arsenal.
As a reversal, reverse any card that 'cannot be reversed' or when you are The Godfather, reverse any non-unique Action.
F: 0     D: 2     Unique

I've Got One Thing To Say About That!
Reversal: Special
Cannot be packed when packing Sidewalk Slam.
When played from hand, reverse any card that has Momentum or 'cannot be reversed'; when you do not have Back to Basics or a BASH card in your Ring, draw up to 1 card and shuffle up to # cards from your Ringside into your Arsenal, where # is the number of your cards in your Backstage Area, Ring, Ringside, or removed from the game with 'Adam Crites Memorial Tournament' in the text +1.
F: 1     D: 0     Unique

One!
When this card is removed from the game, it cannot be played or moved to another area.
When overturned, reverse any non-Superstar-specific maneuver, remove this card and 1 card in your Ringside from the game, and then discard 1 card.  When  The "On One" Arena, Ontario, California is in your Ring, when this card reverses as the first card overturned, or during the Adam Crites Memorial Tournament, shuffle up to 2 cards from your Ringside into your Arsenal and draw up to 3 cards.
F: 1     D: 0     Unique

Take One Second
Action + Action
This card is considered blank for your effects, and your opponent can only play 1 reversal to this card.
Choose 1 option: draw 1 card, put 1 random card from Ringside on the bottom of your Arsenal, or your opponent discards 1 card; when The "On One" Arena, Ontario, California is in your Ring or Ringside, or during the Adam Crites Memorial Tournament, double the numbers in this effect.
F: 1     D: 1     Unique     Multi

Aside of the obvious "Drew McIntrye loves all this" comment, there are people who can make their can not be reversed moves only reversible by uniques too (that hurt my head as well I know), pairing them with the Heenan Family Faction, you can protect them from plunge as well

And you can add this one as well if you need three can not be reversed stoppers:

Unintended CONsequences   NEW
This card is +5F for each Sidewalk Slam in your Ring.
Reverse any card that 'cannot be reversed' or any Unique antic, and put up to 1 card in your Ringside with 'GenCon' in the text into your hand.
When there are no non-F: 0 non-Chain maneuvers with printed reversal restrictions in your Ring, your Fortitude Rating is +1 for every non-Chain card in your opponent's Ring with a printed reversal restriction.
F: 0     D: 0     Unique

I'd give them at least a 6 or 7 out of 10 (and they're VERY helpful for b2b decks) ....and it gives you a way to protect yourself if you're out of TB sidewalk slams or just want to go the unique route (World Tour, Steel Chain shot abuse) ....but I think you can't look at the two backstage cards in a bubble since they are part of a more complete set :)
*IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII* AM the Super Show 2017 Tag Team Champions!!!!!!