Author Topic: WWE and AEW: SHUT DOWN NOW  (Read 903 times)

Offline Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-3
    • View Profile
WWE and AEW: SHUT DOWN NOW
« on: April 14, 2020, 06:40:17 AM »
Quite frankly this has been on my chest for some time. I know I’ve complained to other folks about it, but I’m going to say it publicly now:

WWE and AEW need to stop operating and shut down for the time being. Their actions are putting their performers at risk and flying against the whole point of the economic shutdown. One of WWE’s on-air talent (not a wrestler) recently tested positive for COVID-19. Others have been exposed to this individual and could end up sick. You also have guys like Roman Reigns, who’s immunocompromised and for whom COVID-19 could be a death sentence. WWE and AEW are being careless and reckless, and they are just risking in making the problem worse or hindering its resolution. WWE can put on archive footage for however long this lasts. AEW would need to do some work, but they could put on archival footage from the indies.

I know the argument has been made about  TV contracts. There’s a reason for force majeure clauses in contracts. Clearly the pandemic is a force majeure situation and the TV networks wouldn’t dare to challenge that. If WWE and AEW don’t have force majeure clauses, then their legal departments should be fired completely and replaced with more competent lawyers.

I don’t give a eff about being entertained in these times. I don’t give a eff that Vince McMahon  and Tony Khan are running things.I don’t give a eff about TV contracts. WWE and AEW: SHUT IT DOWN.
Ceterum censeo Chelsea delendam esse.

Don't let this signature distract you from the fact that Dele Alli has 29 more PL goals than Jack Wilshere.

BREAKING NEWS: Arsenal to move to Los Angeles "to be closer to their fanbase" according to Stan Kroenke.

Offline Drywall

• TCO Donor
  • +77/-70
  • 16-bit romantic, proprietor of Geek Street.
    • View Profile
Re: WWE and AEW: SHUT DOWN NOW
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 09:05:20 AM »
WWE has been deemed an essential business. I sense some seriously bad fallout from this in the months to come.
I'm the wind, baby.

Offline Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 10:22:19 AM »
WWE has been deemed an essential business. I sense some seriously bad fallout from this in the months to come.

Yeah, I saw that. Maybe it’s me, but I fail to understand how pro wrestling can be “essential”.

Actually I can, but that’ll be bringing up politics, which I absolutely will not do anymore in a public forum like this.

Don't let this signature distract you from the fact that Dele Alli has 29 more PL goals than Jack Wilshere.

BREAKING NEWS: Arsenal to move to Los Angeles "to be closer to their fanbase" according to Stan Kroenke.

Offline BigPimpin

• +278/-147
  • Straight Gangsta, Foo'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 11:36:27 AM »
I don't know thing one about AEW, but the problem for WWE: They're not living up to their end of their TV contract (ratings, etc) and are grasping at any straw possible to make sure there's no excuse to renegotiate the contract.  It's all a $$$ proposition for Vinnie Mac.  Also, Vinnie Mac = PT Barnum and once you understand that you can understand why he doesn't give a crap about Roman's condition or how many people have been exposed to the rumored positive WWE COVID-19 infections (last check was Bobby Lashley, Corey Graves, and Carmella, but I could be off on that). 

Discord: MightyBP
Time Zone: EST
Available Lackey Hours: late nights (8-9 PM starts), some weekend evenings or morning.

100% reason to remember the name.

I'm the reason the hood need a dental plan.

Offline dilbert505

• Raw Deal Rules Manager
  • Global Moderator
  • +51/-42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 01:06:56 PM »
Yeah, I saw that. Maybe it’s me, but I fail to understand how pro wrestling can be “essential”.

Actually I can, but that’ll be bringing up politics, which I absolutely will not do anymore in a public forum like this.

Panem et circenses, QR, that's all I'll say to that.
Universally Recognized as a Mature and Responsible Adult.

Playing on Lackey? I'm on US Eastern Time; you can check what time it is for me here.

Offline Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 04:06:05 PM »
I don't know thing one about AEW, but the problem for WWE: They're not living up to their end of their TV contract (ratings, etc) and are grasping at any straw possible to make sure there's no excuse to renegotiate the contract.  It's all a $$$ proposition for Vinnie Mac.  Also, Vinnie Mac = PT Barnum and once you understand that you can understand why he doesn't give a crap about Roman's condition or how many people have been exposed to the rumored positive WWE COVID-19 infections (last check was Bobby Lashley, Corey Graves, and Carmella, but I could be off on that).

Word is that it wasn’t a wrestler, and Meltzer says it isn’t Graves.

Offline MonkeyLord13

• +10/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 06:22:09 AM »
Yeah, it made me really uneasy watching Wrestlemania and seeing the matches where they clearly had more than 10 people working in close quarters. During the Tag Team ladder match I was actually grateful that due to Miz's faux pax, we ended up only having three competitors in the ring instead of 6. It casts a shadow over these matches that makes it hard to enjoy them regardless of their merits as matches, because I can't stop thinking: How will I feel about this match if one or more of these wrestlers comes down with Coronavirus? Can I in good conscience enjoy this match now knowing that's the risk they're taking?

I understand why they're doing what they're doing, but it's getting to be pretty foolhardy.

I figure AEW has a unique advantage over WWE in one respect here: without a WWE Network style service for their product, they can go farther on airing old PPV matches. I'd certainly tune in for a re-airing of Double-or-Nothing.

It might be interesting to even try airing these matches with new commentary, perhaps even from the competitors. Use it as an opportunity to let wrestlers try to rewrite the history of failed spots ("Well, here's what I was trying to do..."), or to reinforce storylines that came out of those matches. Make that kind of re-airing a combination of giving fans access to a show they might have missed, but also let the wrestlers (from the safety of a remote connection) keep telling their story. I'd love to see Omega vs. Moxley with them on commentary.

Offline necrobaron75

• +29/-31
  • YEP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 04:07:10 PM »
Have Jericho and Schiavone re commentate everything
female dog WHAT LINE?!