Author Topic: Crowdsourcing Virtual Starter Decks  (Read 429 times)

Offline Eric RD

• Administrator
  • +20/-1
  • Virtual Lead Developer
    • View Profile
    • Backlash Podcast
Crowdsourcing Virtual Starter Decks
« on: January 09, 2020, 08:06:22 AM »
I think it would be a great idea to create some starter decks with the help of the community of all experience levels, as well as get a conversation going for the best way to get into Virtual.

With the information here, I'll set up a printable file for two starter decks for players to start playing the Virtual expansions.

I believe these should be Virtual exclusive to save a player from having to find existing cards to add into the deck.

Whodo you think would be two good Superstars for players to get back into the game with, and what designs should they be based around?
http://twitch.tv/EricRD for Raw Deal streams

Raw Deal games, videos and more.
http://www.youtube.com/c/EricRDeal

Offline Hogtrail

• +15/-4
    • View Profile
Re: Crowdsourcing Virtual Starter Decks
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 08:10:59 AM »
Umaga could be a good one. Simple ability, nice big hand size, good support
Please Like The Film Slobs on Facebook and Twitter!

Offline Keith0913832

• TCO Donor
  • +14/-3
  • Onward with the <R>evolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 08:16:08 AM »
I went the other way and created shells for different traits so people can just insert superstars in to play.
Basically, it teaches the very basics of each trait, nothing more.

That said, my deck building skills are average at most, so there might be an error or 2 inside. Let me know if you spot any.

I haven't got the time to build more, but if I do, they will be automatically updated.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AueBd2HPCZVcohJROr0-U50AZD3q?e=wLIbd5
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 08:18:52 AM by Keith0913832 »

Offline dilbert505

• Global Moderator
  • +49/-42
  • The Prince of Insufficient Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 08:37:00 AM »
I believe these should be Virtual exclusive to save a player from having to find existing cards to add into the deck.

I have one qualm, with this specific portion of the suggestion. I get the desire to keep it print and play, but there are some very necessary cards that simply do not have a Virtual equivalent (thinking here primarily of Elbow to the Face, but there are others.) I would want to find a way to ensure that, at least for the relatively common staple Classic cards like this one, that we have a way to supply new players with them. I'm not sure I have a great solution as to how to do that, short of incorporating them into a VSS release as throwbacks much the same way we've done with previous staples, but I feel like the reversal base, in particular, would suffer without access to the wider pool.

Keith, at an extremely quick glance, I like the work and thought you've put in here. There's a nice balance with the decks, a bit of room for customization (since not every superstar will fill every slot missing from the deck framework exactly, there will be some opportunities for the novice deckbuilder to make adjustments), and the seven deck frameworks are all well focused. They do include some cards that might be a bit trickier to get access to if you're new to the game and don't live near a lot of players with a larger collection (thinking mostly of rares without virtual throwbacks here), but all in all, it's a great way to start people off.

As for who to build, you want relatively simple superstars who might intrigue long-time wrestling fans, so how about a rematch from Summerslam '92? Bret Hart and the British Bulldog.
Universally Recognized as a Mature and Responsible Adult.

Playing on Lackey? I'm on US Eastern Time; you can check what time it is for me here.

Offline BigPimpin

• +276/-147
  • Straight Gangsta, Foo'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 09:52:47 AM »
One of the things I did yesterday thinking about this - I built a deck that has as many virtual cards as possible (utilizing the "lesser" TBs where needed).  The closest I was able to come was 60 cards out of 60 for Arsenal and 22 of 24 for Backlash.  Other than Elbow (which I ignored in favor of lesser reversals that I would normally cut), Underrated, and Showtime, I feel like it would have been a viable deck.  The positive here is that we have most of a solid reversal base down in a Virtual game. 

Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake - The superstar for whom I did the above experiment.  Focus on Virtual moves, underrated Backstage card, ability to take a hit and not be out of it is all good things.

Any non-remake who can pack Classic Competitor in general - Classic is a maneuver base that has continued to garner support, and Classic Competitor is the tool that negates the downside of the Classics. 

Chris Masters - simple ability to understand, eminently useful no matter what types of maneuvers are run.  Only one non-Virtual support card, and you can live without for the moment.

4H - high value, simple SSA, support as a Legend/Tag Team/Stable, Face/Heel pack further shores up the reversal base.

Brain Busters - ability can be ignored, but the ability to jump the Fort Curve on your opponent's turn is pretty large.  Legend/Tag Team/Heenan Family Member

Raw Guest Host - ability that can be ignored.  While not as good at it as Beefcake, RGH can live on Classics and the various Unique maneuvers.  -8F on all your moves is nothing to sneeze at.

Umaga - simple ability, powerful cards - probably a level 2 deck with the pre and the mid to remember.

Legacy - For newcomers, I'm a fan of decks that have a lot of specifics to simplify deck building.  Legacy/Priceless are one of the few "load o' specifics" decks that doesn't add in non-Virual specifics to the deck.  Legacy over Priceless because the ability is simple enough to understand and execute and doesn't interfere with a deck building concept if the player wants to go crazy.

Heath Slater - simple, powerful ability, gives a direction with The One Man Rock Band. 

Cody Rhodes - I only bring up Cody because he's popular on another program now - leave him Liberated and his cards are great and somewhat simple but his ability requires a Steiner Math degree to fully get.

Lone Warrior TB - take the Backlash deck out of their hands, draw 2 per turn, nice card base.  Loses points for needing 5 Goldberg specifics.

Dusty Rhodes - another slightly complex ability, but the fact that he can run 3 copies of Classics in his deck means he can pick and choose the good ones and run three copies.  Legend support.

Samoa Joe - once you get the hang of the mechanic, he's relatively easy to execute.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 02:23:10 PM by BigPimpin »
Discord: MightyBP
Time Zone: EST
Available Lackey Hours: late nights (8-9 PM starts), some weekend evenings or morning.

100% reason to remember the name.

I'm the reason the hood need a dental plan.

Offline CRASHER

• +91/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 10:16:21 AM »
I would think an Educated Feet AJ Styles deck would be a good one as well, since he's a big name and people like him, his ability meshes well with it and he can throw the kicks from ringside as well (I had built one for the 11 year old, but they're not ready for Raw Deal yet)

A BASH APA deck is pretty straightforward too, throw moves, do lots of damage and kick ass!

With the amount of quality proxies we have at our disposal now, it should be pretty simple to get those Elbows/Return BASH'es/etc into a simple starter pack and focus more on "what does this card do" over "how the hell do I find THAT card?"
*IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII* AM the Super Show 2017 Tag Team Champions!!!!!!

Offline tutoman

• +12/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 02:08:55 PM »
Shoot CM Punk
He has the popularity to get people interested and also teaches people about some of the interactions of the meta right now with Shoot Lock-ups, maneuvers with restrictions, and how strong Shoot Counter is.
Maybe not use every single one of their superstar specific cards to avoid confusion, but still.