Author Topic: Breaking Ground: Is Putting a Card into Ring Considered Responding?  (Read 367 times)

Offline MonkeyLord13

• +10/-1
    • View Profile
While there are plenty of other examples, I'll use Breaking Ground as my focus:

Breaking Ground
Reversal: Special
Effects cannot prevent you from moving this card.
When your opponent successfully plays a 10D+ maneuver, or has 10+ greater Fortitude and he successfully plays a maneuver, you may put this card into your Ring from your Hand or Ringside. If you do, after damage is applied from that card, end his turn.
F: 0     D: 2     Unique     Permanent

If my opponent plays a maneuver that through whatever shenanigans cannot be responded to, may I still put Breaking Ground into my ring?

Offline Eric RD

• Administrator
  • +19/-1
  • Virtual Lead Developer
    • View Profile
    • Backlash Podcast
Re: Breaking Ground: Is Putting a Card into Ring Considered Responding?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 10:30:48 AM »
Based on the ruling for the interaction of Divine Intervention and “Cannot respond”, you will be able to use the effect on Breakig Ground.

http://teamcanadaonline.net///index.php/topic,18647.msg209531.html#msg209531
http://twitch.tv/EricRD for Raw Deal streams

Raw Deal games, videos and more.
http://www.youtube.com/c/EricRDeal

Online DebuRaito

• +20/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 07:42:33 AM »
If by that reasoning, even Titus Whistle can blank a Mean Gene Turn the Tide?

Titus's Whistle
Backstage Card
When your opponent plays an antic or action, you may put this card into your Ring, and his card is blank until the end of the turn.
When you are Titus O'Neil, this card is your Backstage Area or Ring, and you reverse a card, you may then remove this card from the game, and search your Arsenal for up to 2 non-Unique maneuvers, reveal them, put them in your hand and shuffle.
Unique     RMS logo

To be frank, I don't even know what's the point in the bolded text is referring to anymore...

Quote from RD Virtual FAQ:

"Response, Respond
-A player responds to a card by playing a Reversal card, activating a card effect, even if the card is not in their Ring, or activating their Ability.
-Cards that a player may not respond to will still trigger effects from cards in the Ring or Abilities. EXAMPLE: Diamond Dallas Page will still discard for his opponent's copies of Old School Psychology when he plays It's Me...It's Me...It's D-D-P. EXAMPLE 2: Leader of the Edge Army will still draw and cause Raw Guest Host to discard when Raw Guest Host successfully plays The Price is Raw. EXAMPLE 3: Raven will still draw when Festus hits him with a maneuver protected by ...."

Offline Tim (From SG)

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 09:16:03 AM »
Hmm... Interesting call there. Let's hear what the rules guru have to say.  :police:

Online CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +494/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 09:37:56 AM »
In fact, I'd request no further posts with any opinions or comments until Daeva's had time to weigh in, so the issue isn't clouded.  Thanks.

CREED
V9: NXT Takeover - Full Release Available Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline Mitch!

• 2014 & 2017 Raw Deal World Champion
  • Global Moderator
  • +243/-241
  • Welcome to....Dubuque, Iowa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 02:25:37 PM »
Titus's Whistle is in the same category as Hogans Feathered Boa which cannot be used in response to a cannot respond card, I asked this some time ago and was answered here:
http://teamcanadaonline.net///index.php/topic,12817.msg154948.html#msg154948

Breaking Ground is worded very similar to Divine and here is text of both for when Daeva can take a look:

Divine Intervention
When overturned, completely reverse any card (even if it cannot be reversed) or any card effect and end your opponent’s turn. This card is removed from the game.
When this card is in your Ringside pile, if your opponent successfully plays an Action card, you may put this card on the bottom of your Arsenal.
Unique
F: 0 D: 0

Breaking Ground
Effects cannot prevent you from moving this card.
When your opponent successfully plays a 10D+ maneuver, or has 10+ greater Fortitude and he successfully plays a maneuver, you may put this card into your Ring from your hand or Ringside. If you do, after damage is applied from that card, end his turn.
F: 0     D: 2     Unique     Permanent

Mitch of Team Niki Heber and Friends
Only B2B's Deck to Ever Win Worlds!
The Heel HHH of Raw Deal
Your 2017 Raw Deal Champion

Offline Daeva

• Virtual Contributor, Level 4 Judge, Hope Ender
  • Administrator
  • +319/-214
  • On Balance, Off Balance, Doesn't Matter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 10:54:52 AM »
All right, I've had some time to sit and ruminate on this one. The crux of this issue is that we don't have an ironclad definition of what "activating a card effect" is in this context. Activating a card effect is when you choose to pay some sort of cost to get some sort of effect. Feathered Boa and Titus' Whistle clearly fall in this camp: you choose to hide the card (cost) and then blank the thing (effect). Divine Intervention clearly doesn't; there's no cost, you just stick DI under your deck.

To me, Breaking Ground is activating a card effect. You're sticking it in your Ring to get an effect (ending the turn after damage is applied). The fact that it's using disjointed wording doesn't circumvent that.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 03:11:02 PM by Daeva »
Nate Weiss, Rules Manager & Dream Killer
"You're no fun." -Creed
Timing question? Look here.
Evidence is everything in a court of law. Evidence is also everything in the Rules Forum.

Offline Mitch!

• 2014 & 2017 Raw Deal World Champion
  • Global Moderator
  • +243/-241
  • Welcome to....Dubuque, Iowa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 11:55:40 AM »
Breaking ground goes directly to the ring area, not under the deck like Divine.
Mitch of Team Niki Heber and Friends
Only B2B's Deck to Ever Win Worlds!
The Heel HHH of Raw Deal
Your 2017 Raw Deal Champion

Online CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +494/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 12:48:25 PM »
While true, it doesn't change the type of interaction, so the ruling would be the same either way.

CREED
V9: NXT Takeover - Full Release Available Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline Daeva

• Virtual Contributor, Level 4 Judge, Hope Ender
  • Administrator
  • +319/-214
  • On Balance, Off Balance, Doesn't Matter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 03:11:20 PM »
You're both correct; I've fixed the post above so no one gets confused.
Nate Weiss, Rules Manager & Dream Killer
"You're no fun." -Creed
Timing question? Look here.
Evidence is everything in a court of law. Evidence is also everything in the Rules Forum.