Author Topic: Proxies for Worlds 2020  (Read 485 times)

Offline majinsuperdustin

• +2/-7
    • View Profile
Proxies for Worlds 2020
« on: August 27, 2019, 01:40:16 PM »
It's been a few years since I've played competitively, but I was wondering if proxies are allowed at worlds as long as they have the exact same wording as the originally printed card? The only reason I ask is because buying back into this game for some of the superstars is looking to be even more expensive now than when the game started and getting copies of staples including the basic reversals is getting a little hard.
HBKHalfBlackKid

Offline Eric RD

• +18/-1
  • Virtual Lead Developer
    • View Profile
    • Backlash Podcast
Re: Proxies for Worlds 2020
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 01:42:30 PM »
We have no information available for Worlds in 2020 at the moment. Feel free to use proxies for your local games in the meantime.
http://twitch.tv/EricRD for Raw Deal streams

Raw Deal games, videos and more.
http://www.youtube.com/c/EricRDeal

Offline Mitch!

• 2014 & 2017 Raw Deal World Champion
  • Global Moderator
  • +243/-241
  • Welcome to....Dubuque, Iowa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 02:53:48 PM »
Odds are good, judging by the recent Discord poll and that we saw more new players this year than before it would be a good move.
Mitch of Team Niki Heber and Friends
Only B2B's Deck to Ever Win Worlds!
The Heel HHH of Raw Deal
Your 2017 Raw Deal Champion

Online CRASHER

• +91/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 03:14:38 PM »
I've been a MAJOR fan of this for years now..... "I'm better than you should NEVER be .... ha ha ha I have cards you can't get anymore"

Plus it's Raw Deal's biggest selling point now, the "print to play" cost.....we should get behind this as much as possible :)
*IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII* AM the Super Show 2017 Tag Team Champions!!!!!!

Offline majinsuperdustin

• +2/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 03:57:18 PM »
The other question to go along with that would be for cards that have a virtual throwback, would you need to play the virtual throwback instead of the proxy of the original (i.e. PLM would not be proxy legal since there is a virtual TB)?
HBKHalfBlackKid

Offline niiiiick

• +16/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 06:58:37 AM »
I dont think that should be a rule. As CRASHER said (I think atleast haha), worlds should show who is the best, not who has access to more cards

Offline Scotty

• +51/-44
  • Backlash Podcast Co-host
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 10:15:06 AM »
With regards to TB: it has to be what’s printed on the card.

Sometimes (like in Niiicks and my Ascension deck) we WANT to run the TB Dynamic Finisher because it has no stun. PLM proxies have been floating around for years, so copies are available, but if you print and play the TB one in a tournament, you should have to abide by the cards text on the card you’re playing.

Offline imc2oo2

• +0/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 06:50:43 AM »
Been a while guys.

Massive, massive supporter of this and mega surprised this hasn’t been a thing for years now. There is no official game to support with money so I don’t see the issue beyond the secondary market (which by the looks of it makes some of its money printing virtual not for profit cards anyway).

While I have most cards i would ever need, time is the issue for the majority of people. I’m the sort of guy who would pop over from the uk to the us for a weekend for a big event, but I don’t have the time anymore to sift through binders and boxes and storage etc to prep for a tournament.

It’s all about the fun these days and I’m sure lots of people would pop along to a worlds style tournament for nostalgia if they didn’t need to invest several hundreds of dollars on a deck.

Most active games have format rotations and suchlike, so getting into something isn’t next to impossible for a new or returning player.  For RD we’re asking people to buy a LOT of cards if they want to be able to make a semi decent deck. Proxies all the way.

Offline Keith0913832

• TCO Donor
  • +14/-3
  • Onward with the <R>evolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 08:17:45 AM »
I mean no disrespect to any of the secondary market owners, regardless big or small players.

But personally, other than worlds restricting proxies, every around the world, players are already using proxies. Restricting Worlds to just real stuff doesn't really impact much because the rest of the world will continue to play the way they do. Some will insist they only play real stuff (I know many), while some have 100% printed decks.

Personally, I invested a lot of money just to get a master playset for deck building. It's every collector's dream to own a piece of everything, especially if it's out of print. I believe that dream will still continue to drive interest in getting hold of the authentic stuff, regardless of whether certain tournaments are restricting proxies.

This is of cause a different case if Worlds had 100+ people participating. That's definitely good money for any sellers big or small! Sadly that isn't the case at worlds, or in any part of the world now.

With regards to the accuracy... I can't comment much since it's considered biased if I do so.

I believe the strongest argument for the use of proxies is still to lower the barriers of entry to the game in terms of accessibility to cards. The learning curve is already steep enough just to get back to classic if they had stopped before the traits, or even before Backlash. If they still had to invest $$ in right from the start, I think it will only dissuade players to come back. In return, there will be even less demand for real stuff because the community only gets smaller and smaller.

That's my 2 cents. Worlds is after all a 24hrs plane ride for me and my group. The earth will continue to turn, collectors will continue to buy, and players will continue to print.

Offline imc2oo2

• +0/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 08:43:03 AM »
I mean no disrespect to any of the secondary market owners, regardless big or small players.

But personally, other than worlds restricting proxies, every around the world, players are already using proxies. Restricting Worlds to just real stuff doesn't really impact much because the rest of the world will continue to play the way they do. Some will insist they only play real stuff (I know many), while some have 100% printed decks.

Personally, I invested a lot of money just to get a master playset for deck building. It's every collector's dream to own a piece of everything, especially if it's out of print. I believe that dream will still continue to drive interest in getting hold of the authentic stuff, regardless of whether certain tournaments are restricting proxies.

This is of cause a different case if Worlds had 100+ people participating. That's definitely good money for any sellers big or small! Sadly that isn't the case at worlds, or in any part of the world now.

With regards to the accuracy... I can't comment much since it's considered biased if I do so.

I believe the strongest argument for the use of proxies is still to lower the barriers of entry to the game in terms of accessibility to cards. The learning curve is already steep enough just to get back to classic if they had stopped before the traits, or even before Backlash. If they still had to invest $$ in right from the start, I think it will only dissuade players to come back. In return, there will be even less demand for real stuff because the community only gets smaller and smaller.

That's my 2 cents. Worlds is after all a 24hrs plane ride for me and my group. The earth will continue to turn, collectors will continue to buy, and players will continue to print.

Agree with a lot of this my friend. The fact that we had more than double the number of people attend a local cube draft than attended the last 3 or 4 worlds events tells me a lot. Majority of these people enjoyed the draft because it required next to no time commitment or investment.

Offline Mitch!

• 2014 & 2017 Raw Deal World Champion
  • Global Moderator
  • +243/-241
  • Welcome to....Dubuque, Iowa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 05:26:09 PM »
This year was the worst turnout we have had, last year was 10 players and previous years were around 12-20 people from about 2014 to now.

Also proxies with correct text will be allowed for worlds going forward.
Mitch of Team Niki Heber and Friends
Only B2B's Deck to Ever Win Worlds!
The Heel HHH of Raw Deal
Your 2017 Raw Deal Champion