Author Topic: Moving the World Championship discussion from Intro to V10 to here  (Read 350 times)

Offline dallasstar17

• +1/-7
  • Team X-Treme
    • View Profile
I am moving the discussion of what we could do as a community for the World Championships to its own thread so we are not hijacking what the original thread was supposed to talk about.

The first flush is that we might look into the popular formats. Classic, Virtual Classic, Virtual Revo and All-Axxess.  I would rather not have classic as a format as with a finite worth of cards the ultimate winning deck has been sussed out and would be dug up to win every year and that becomes the dreaded "Negative Play Experience" or NPE that players and developers try to avoid.

I honestly think that we should take the approach that the WWE has. That is to have essentially Several Champions, hear me out... Let us treat it like the WWE. We have a Universal Champion (I am going to say the All-Axxess Champion here) since the card pool is the largest and is updated on a regular basis. Then we have a WWE Champion (I am going to say the Virtual Classic Champion) Dealing with the most popular deck format out there.  Start from there. As we re-grow the player base to these tournaments We begin to add other "gimmick" tournaments. The women's championship where the only deck type allowed are women superstars.  The Tag Team championship where again we only allow Tag Team and Stable Superstars into the tournament.

We need to embrace the fact that there are different versions of the game that players like to play.  We cannot force players to compete in every format in order to crown an ultimate champion. I say that we need to look to the company that inspires us to play this game and keep up with it and Make a Federation about it.

Ideas for like the mid card and NXT belts etc..... The Regional belts (European, United States, North American, NXT UK) could be held in their respective areas as a precursor to the Raw Deal Mania that is Gencon. The Intercontinental Championship can be a second chance tournament for those who wash out of the World Championship.  These are thoughts that I have come up with in order to help kick start the conversation.
Dallasstar17
Oklahoma's Resident Team X-Treme Member

Offline Drywall

• TCO Donor
  • +77/-70
  • 16-bit romantic, proprietor of Geek Street.
    • View Profile
Re: Moving the World Championship discussion from Intro to V10 to here
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 12:35:17 PM »
It's a great train of thought but I fear the number of players left don't make the concept worth the execution.
I'm the wind, baby.

Offline dallasstar17

• +1/-7
  • Team X-Treme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 01:00:04 PM »
That is truly understandable. I know it is hard to sell a game that is no longer commercially viable, and try to say hey this is a good game you should try it.

What I have tried to do around here (when I am able to do so because work is a pain right now) is sell the game to new players like this.  Play a demo based on decks that I have built. Okay if you want to get into the game it is not that hard. Here is the websites that will get you access to the cards in play. If you have old cards and sleeves in say 3 colors, then access to a color printer.... boom you are in the game and not much more you need to spend in order to be effective. Sure you can spend some money for either custom prints from Vela or get onto ebay or other places for the secondary market but that is not required.  With all of the classic and Virtual superstars in play right now there is someone for almost everyone.

I am trying to rally the old guard here in Oklahoma, and create new players so that we can have a somewhat healthy playing environment.  As a person who has put together the gaming section of a popular regional convention, I understand the pitfalls of trying to get things planned. However I think that if we were all able to bring up a new generation of RD players the train of thought could happen. It is going to take some blood sweat and tears but I think we can as a player base make this happen again.
Dallasstar17

Offline BigPimpin

• +276/-147
  • Straight Gangsta, Foo'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 03:14:54 PM »
This is a great time for this conversation, as everything about how we determine the World Championships is under review the next couple of weeks so we can decide what's going on moving forward.  More opinions are always welcome.

The one thing I'll add to the discussion right now is that at Gencon, we had events that sold out and/or were well-attended.  The cubes did well and the intros did well, and what that tells me is that there's still interest in Raw Deal as a game even if the barrier of acquiring cards keeps people from coming out to full events.  There's plenty we need to review, fix, and change before we can reach better tournament numbers, and that's part of the discussion about Worlds, Gencon, and tournament attendance in general.  But there is still interest in this game, and usually all it takes is people playing it once or twice before they start asking "Hey, how do I get into this?"
Discord: MightyBP
Time Zone: EST
Available Lackey Hours: late nights (8-9 PM starts), some weekend evenings or morning.

100% reason to remember the name.

I'm the reason the hood need a dental plan.

Offline dallasstar17

• +1/-7
  • Team X-Treme
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 03:35:53 PM »
One of the things I am working on to help out with the new players is that I am making .Doc files for damn near everyone. They are Virutal Classic decks..(although Beth Phoenix and the ECW crew venture into All Axxess) I am going to end up with a file for a thematic and somewhat competent deck for the superstar that they are interested in.

I think of these as "Starter Decks" for the new generation and part of the file is the location of where to get the rest of the files (Here and Velacards) and how to format the cards at least the way I have done it and been fairly effective. This opens up the new player to the immense treasure trove of information, now it might seem overwhelming but hopefully with the starter deck it will help them out a bit.
Dallasstar17

Offline BigFreaknDude

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 09:02:17 PM »
I completely agree with this all the way. I recently just got back into the game after a decade hiatus. I've been going crazy with picking up as much as I can, and thankfully I've been able to fulfill a great amount. Thus, work has me all over the place lately. Hopefully, within the next few months I'll be able to start something here in Texas where I live. I got into RD near the tail end of it, but I absolutely love Classic and I'm open to VRD.

Offline Toxic

• +5/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 12:06:01 PM »
does anybody have, some original starter deck cards lists? i can help with that if you give me some decklists
Chile TCO Commisioner!!!

Offline dallasstar17

• +1/-7
  • Team X-Treme
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 01:02:44 PM »
does anybody have, some original starter deck cards lists? i can help with that if you give me some decklists

What I am doing is more like a theme/ability curated decks, trying to allow the superstar to do their thing with some of the more basic of cards so that teaching can be done and the player has something reasonable to play with. Original starter decks were kind of terrible in my opinion. To speed up the process and the formatting for me is that I might just go through each of the classic line ups and make decks for each of them in the VC environment that way I am working with a specific list rather than the ADD order that I am doing now...

But if you want to help by all means go for it. The first suggestion from me since I already have half of premier made, start with Fully Loaded and create theme decks for each of those superstars.
Dallasstar17

Offline Keith0913832

• TCO Donor
  • +14/-3
  • Onward with the <R>evolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 08:33:02 PM »
so... i've actually came up with this awhile back. basically they are empty deck lists of about 20 backlash and 50 arsenal cards without superstars for different traits. Players can choose what superstars they want and fit them into the empty deck and do some modifications. Not sure if this is helpful, but each deck will only teach 1 trait so new players can familiarize with that trait after playing that deck a few times. You can find the deck list in excel at this link.

The link also includes all the rules and FAQ for reference.

Offline MonkeyLord13

• +10/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 06:34:36 AM »

I actually do have a lot of these (from a failed attempt to get some friends into the game by gradually introducing them to the expansions). If there's interest, I'd be happy to share. If there's enough interest in the community, I'd be willing to go ahead and post them to the forum, otherwise (like Keith), I can make a link available for a gdrive download.

so... i've actually came up with this awhile back. basically they are empty deck lists of about 20 backlash and 50 arsenal cards without superstars for different traits. Players can choose what superstars they want and fit them into the empty deck and do some modifications. Not sure if this is helpful, but each deck will only teach 1 trait so new players can familiarize with that trait after playing that deck a few times. You can find the deck list in excel at this link.

The link also includes all the rules and FAQ for reference.

Thank you for sharing these!