Author Topic: Virtual 10: Breaking Ground  (Read 7976 times)

Online Eric RD

• Administrator
  • +20/-1
  • Virtual Lead Developer
    • View Profile
    • Backlash Podcast
Re: Virtual 10: Breaking Ground
« Reply #100 on: September 29, 2019, 06:30:19 AM »
Here's the second and last non-Specific card found in this set. This is a bit of a sendoff for Creed's time as lead developer for Virtual. There wouldn't be any of these expansions if it wasn't for the work he did.

12 Years of Dedication
Mid-match Action + Action
When you have 7 or more cards in hand, you may discard your hand and your opponent cannot respond to this card.
Put 2 Backlash deck cards from your Ringside into your Backlash deck.
If you discarded your hand, Ringside Search 2 non-Superstar-specific Virtual card.
F: 12     D: 0     Unique     Multi     Permanent     RMS logo

Stayed tuned tonight around 6pm eastern. I'm aiming to do a LIVESTREAM on http://twitch.tv/ericrd to reveal another Superstar.
http://twitch.tv/EricRD for Raw Deal streams

Raw Deal games, videos and more.
http://www.youtube.com/c/EricRDeal

Offline paulphh

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 29, 2019, 08:39:19 AM »
Was Gargano play tested against original superstars lie The Rock, Hall and Nash , Snitsky, and so on, or was he just tried against digital, Creed designed wrestlers, which most would agree are more powerful than most original wrestlers. Just curious I and my best friend don’t use the non superstar support too much to print we use superstars and there support. He’s really huge without the newer cards. And it was mentioned he’s not the one we will be talking about? Oh boy. I love this game is till going, I went to a trade center by my house years ago and bought all the boxes they had for 5 bucks a box. Unopened original sets. I’m good with cards for decks. He’s gonna crush most all old decks. Just my opinion.

Offline MonkeyLord13

• +10/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 29, 2019, 09:25:51 AM »

2. He literally outclasses so many superstars before him with similar abilities. The most similar superstars I can think of that Gargano clearly outclass are The Showstopper and Gene Snitsky. Snitsky is literally outclassed in every way by Gargano - his ability is literally written in Gargano's current ability. As for Showstopper, he gets everything Showstopper can do, maybe a little less versatile BUT is also an NXT superstar and does not have the Legend drawback for Shoot Lock-Up so people that want to catch up might be completely out of luck here.

3. He gets tons of versatile recovery options that are versatile yet doesn't suffer drawback from his ability.

JOHNNY GARGANO
Starting Hand Size: 8     Superstar Value: 3
NXT Superstar Ability: Your cards with 'technical' in the title are not Set-ups. Once during your turn, you may discard 1 card and choose Chain, Heat or Volley: 4. Your maneuvers with 'technical' in the title are considered to have that trait until the start of your next turn. Do not remove Heat cards from the game for your Superstar-specific card effects.

Gene Snitsky
Starting Hand Size: 7     Superstar Value: 1
Superstar Ability: Your Heat cards are not removed from the game when you move a card from your Ringside pile.
UNF

Johnny only protects his Heat against Superstar Specific recursion effects, not against all recursion. Once he's activated his ability, which he can only do once a turn, and which comes at a cost, he can no longer avoid the Heat trait for any non-Superstar Specific effects. Snitsky pays no cost for his protection and it applies to non-Superstar Superstar specific effects, and since snitsky is not relying on his ability to give out the Heat trait, Snitsky's ability also allows Heat protection for out-of-turn recursion.

The Showstopper
Starting Hand Size: 8     Superstar Value: 6
Legend Superstar Ability:  Search your Arsenal for The Legend Lives On, put it into your Ring, and shuffle; that card is Permanent and cannot be blanked.
Your Heat cards are not removed from Ringside when you move cards from your Ringside with Superstar-specific cards.
You can pack non-Storyline non-Virtual Unique Shawn Michaels cards with no other logos.  You cannot pack Corners, Managers, Run-ins, Pre-match D: 1+ cards, Foreign Object maneuvers, or A Quick BASH-ing.
V5

The Showstopper has the same level of protection as Gargano, but he also has Legend support, which is not insignificant. He is also paying no cost to hand out the Heat trait.

Both Snitsky and Showstopper also benefit from focus on Heat in areas such as maintaining Heat cards in their ringside during off turns, allowing use of Heat reversals. Gargano will actually have to pack printed Heat cards to have the same versatility as either Snitsky or Showstopper. Gargano is using a different maneuver base from either of the other Superstar, as his ability will only give the Heat trait to technical maneuvers (and dynamic if you play Rebel Heart, admittedly no reason not to do so).

In context, I disagree that either is fundamentally "outclassed" by Gargano. As I and others have already observed: Gargano has the strength of versatility, but Superstars like Snitsky and Showstopper have the strength of focus.

There are lots of different things you can do with Gargano, but try to do them all at your own peril.

Online Eric RD

• Administrator
  • +20/-1
  • Virtual Lead Developer
    • View Profile
    • Backlash Podcast
« Reply #103 on: September 29, 2019, 02:55:14 PM »
Stayed tuned tonight around 6pm eastern. I'm aiming to do a LIVESTREAM on http://twitch.tv/ericrd to reveal another Superstar.

I’m runnng behind on time! I’ll be hopping on between 6:30 and 7:00!

Online Eric RD

• Administrator
  • +20/-1
  • Virtual Lead Developer
    • View Profile
    • Backlash Podcast
« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2019, 04:55:09 PM »
Just wrapped a successful video reveal of Ronda and surprise Superstars. Check out the video on demand here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/488164057
We will updated with the card sets on this thread later on.

Offline darkdestiny91

• +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 29, 2019, 05:12:29 PM »
Here's the second and last non-Specific card found in this set. This is a bit of a sendoff for Creed's time as lead developer for Virtual. There wouldn't be any of these expansions if it wasn't for the work he did.

12 Years of Dedication
When you have 7 or more cards in hand, you may discard your hand and your opponent cannot respond to this card.
If you discarded your hand, Ringside Search 2 non-Superstar-specific Virtual card.

The wording is weird here. Should it read: “If you discarded your hand, search your ringside for 2 virtual cards”?

Offline MonkeyLord13

• +10/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 30, 2019, 09:48:44 AM »
A couple of things I noticed on Ronda's cards (which may already be on your radar):

1) You made mention of Shoot Kicker Hold in conjunction with Multiple Combat Sport Champion. Does the RMS trait on SKH make any difference in terms of packing? I assume that when played, it would still be a Multi given that RMS would be in effect once the game has started. Kind of a silly question, but thought it might be good to air it before someone says "You can't remove the 'cannot be packed' text because of RMS".

2) On I Don't Give a Damn About My Reputation, the damage boost effect specifies "next maneuver this turn", but the Fortitude reduction effect (and its reversal restriction) only says "next maneuver", not limiting it to the same turn as IDGDAMR. Just wanted to double check whether this was intended to let you stack the effect for a next maneuver that happened to come on a subsequent turn, or if it was intended to only function if the next maneuver is played the same turn.

3) Just a little formatting thing that I'm sure you would have caught, but Rousey's Flurry of Punches reads "...discard 2 to to put this card back in hand..."

Both Ronda and Nia are looking great. Very excited for V10!

Offline Daeva

• Virtual Contributor, Level 4 Judge, Hope Ender
  • Administrator
  • +319/-214
  • On Balance, Off Balance, Doesn't Matter
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 30, 2019, 10:03:04 AM »

12 Years of Dedication

The wording is weird here. Should it read: “If you discarded your hand, search your ringside for 2 virtual cards”?

The wording is different because Search wasn't a keyword before.

"Location Search #" means "search (Location) for # cards, reveal them, put them into your hand, and shuffle (Location)." If the number is followed by a constraint, then the cards that you search for must obey that constraint.
Nate Weiss, Rules Manager & Dream Killer
"You're no fun." -Creed
Timing question? Look here.
Evidence is everything in a court of law. Evidence is also everything in the Rules Forum.

Offline Kingsantino92

• +4/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 30, 2019, 05:50:38 PM »
Hey I'm having a hard time finding today's spoilers. I've been checking the omg games page all day and there hasn't been any word on a specific time or if things are running late. Unless I'm on the wrong page then I apologize.

Online Keith0913832

• TCO Donor
  • +14/-3
  • Onward with the <R>evolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 30, 2019, 05:54:45 PM »
Saw them posted on the virtual raw deal fb page.

Online Keith0913832

• TCO Donor
  • +14/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 30, 2019, 05:58:04 PM »
Anyway, RawdealSG is honored to be part of the v10 reveal party this time round! Stay tuned to the fb page in about 14hrs time where we reveal the images for the next superstar.

Www.facebook.com/RawdealSG

Offline Jfman89

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 30, 2019, 10:16:05 PM »
Gargano looks like a lot of fun.

For those with sticker shock: You can only have 60 cards in your arsenal and 24 cards in your backlash. Gargano isn't going to be some multi-trait unstoppable machine. He reminds me of Regal in the aspect of you can do a great many things; question is: Which will you choose?

Thats the thing. There is so much available for all traits you can mishmash you dont have to dwell down one specific path.

Yes he has a basic arsenal and backlash amount but thats more than enough to get decent recharge every turn. There is only so much times people can reverse aces then once there gone or not available to use at that time its realistic to see him getting an easy 3-5 card recharge every turn.

Realistically most decks rely on their early manuvers and the manuver reversals so after you have covered the bum there is limited spaces for ace reversals.

Any well seasoned player will run riot with gargano no problem at all.

But hey my groups only been on virtual for a few years and slowly releasing the sets so each set gets a fair shake rather than jist releasing everything at once so we wont get v10 till mid 2020 i believe. So hopefully hes nerfed by then.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 10:21:55 PM by Jfman89 »

Offline The_Wolfpac

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 01, 2019, 12:17:34 AM »
This is my take on the Gargano fiasco going on. The superstar is OVERLOADED with good traits and maneuver archetypes. Dynamic, IMO, is supposed to be the less protected, but lends for sponge-heavy decks to dip in to recover and stay in the game against aggressive decks, which mainly focuses on heat or volley, with chain in some cases as well.

For Gargano, this is what I see immediately becoming an issue:
1. Ruins the scissors-paper-stone paradigm that the traits had before (aka Chain<Heat<Volley<Chain).
- This means that Johnny Gargano will be able, in the hands of any experienced player, take apart any deck by countering the traits.

2. He literally outclasses so many superstars before him with similar abilities. The most similar superstars I can think of that Gargano clearly outclass are The Showstopper and Gene Snitsky. Snitsky is literally outclassed in every way by Gargano - his ability is literally written in Gargano's current ability. As for Showstopper, he gets everything Showstopper can do, maybe a little less versatile BUT is also an NXT superstar and does not have the Legend drawback for Shoot Lock-Up so people that want to catch up might be completely out of luck here.

3. He gets tons of versatile recovery options that are versatile yet doesn't suffer drawback from his ability.
- Case in point, he can use recover options like Rochester's ACE or Luck of the Draw (if packing Dynamics or Technical) before any drawbacks. The Showstopper had to juggle WrestleMania outside of his turn so he can recover without getting his Ringside sacked.
- He gets a ton of recovery options almost immediately. Gargano gets Chain Reaction, Technically Sound and Brutal in the Ring Area BEFORE outside recovery effects that stack. Calgary, Luck of the Draw x3, New Orleans, and/or other options still stack upon that.
- i.e. I can proc 3x LotD for 3 card recovery, then use my ability to change my maneuvers to Heat, and still get 1 more card from New Orleans. If I go for Chain, and fail to hit, I can recover 2 more for Calgary, I can also take the gamble and use Chain Reaction to recover instead before I try hitting a maneuver.

4. Gargano has free card advantage too - his technicals can do all that I mentioned above, while still netting him another card upon being successful in play.

Currently, Gargano is the only deck i know that juggles Traits along with Archetypes (such as Technical and Dynamic) in one deck. Yes, in practice, he may be a lot more balanced, but I hope we are not normalizing a certain power level in our superstars as the standard bearer going forward because Gargano can become a dangerous precedent.

We all love Raw Deal, we just don't want another Great American Bash set thrust upon us. /shudders

This guy gets it

Offline The_Wolfpac

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 01, 2019, 12:23:16 AM »
Just because a card has a high cost doesn't mean it needs to have an amazing effect. Some finishers are terrible and are 20+F. Additionally, reversing any card is good enough in my books for 20F.

As to building him fully anything, that would be stupid, he is clearly far more effective with a full blown mix.

I dont mean to be negative. I just fear that all future sets of raw deal are stupidly powerful.

Next time you play a game, I'd like you to take a look at all of the Fortitude of the cards you and your opponent play. I would hazard a guess that most of them are between 0 and 12F. Sure, if you reverse a TMF from hand with it you get to shuffle in 20 - 30. But that's assuming about 4 or 5 different things happen in that scenario.

A. You need 20F
B. Opponent needs F to play his TMF
C. You need to have candice in your hand
D. His TMF is unprotected
E. He doesn't have Hell in a Cell out
F.  He doesn't know you have Candice in hand

If all of these happen,  then you deserve to shuffle in your cards.

And before labeling Johnny as Stupidly Powerful, perhaps, idk, play a game with him. Us in the dev team have spent the last half year developing and playtesting this set.

And as said above, if we missed something that gets exploited, we will fix it. We can do that. This isnt classic raw deal. We aren't making cards to sell a product, we are making cards to keep this game going, and to keep interest up.

Honestly this is mind blowing. I'm sorry but in most games it's not hard to achieve all of this.

Offline Jfman89

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 01, 2019, 04:24:35 AM »
With the revival do you just ignore active/ inactive on the tag reversals? I cant see anywhere if it says ignore that text. Unless ive missed something.

Edit - tag team shenanagins.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 04:26:46 AM by Jfman89 »

Offline CRASHER

• +91/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 01, 2019, 04:28:38 AM »
With the revival do you just ignore active/ inactive on the tag reversals? I cant see anywhere if it says ignore that text. Unless ive missed something.

Edit - tag team shenanagins.

It's a backstage card from v4:

Tag Team Shenanigans
Backstage Card
Can only be packed when packing Tag cards for your Ability.
You are both the active and inactive player, your opponent is also the inactive opponent.
When you 'tag in', 'tag out', 'tag', or you change the active player, put up to 1 card from your Ringside on the bottom of your Arsenal, and you are considered not to have played any cards this turn.
Your opponent's reversals are unaffected by your Surprise Hit cards.
Unique     RMS logo
*IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII* AM the Super Show 2017 Tag Team Champions!!!!!!

Online Keith0913832

• TCO Donor
  • +14/-3
    • View Profile

Online Eric RD

• Administrator
  • +20/-1
  • Virtual Lead Developer
    • View Profile
    • Backlash Podcast
« Reply #117 on: October 02, 2019, 05:33:31 PM »
Working on the set now and getting ready to wrap it all up. Here's an early spoiler of The Man for everyone to enjoy.

THE MAN
Starting Hand Size: 5 Superstar Value: 4
Superstar Ability: When your maneuver played as a Counter is unsuccessful, put a maneuver with a different title from your Ringside into your hand.  When it is successful, you may Promo: 3.
You can pack Becky Lynch cards in your Arsenal with 1 logo and I Am The Man.

This Is The Man’s World
Pre-math Event
Can be played during the Venue phase.
Your Superstar specific maneuvers are considered to have ‘precision’ in the title for your Superstar-specific card effects.
When your opponent’s card is unsuccessful, you may put To Be the Man, You've Got to Beat the Man! from your Backlash into your Ring. You cannot have more than 1 copy of that card in your Ring, it does not take up a slot, it is permanent and replace '10' with 'higher Fortitude or 10.'
F: 0     D: 0     Unique     RMS logo     Permanent

WHO’S THE MAN?!?
Mid-match Reversal: Special
When your opponent is a Male Superstar, reverse any maneuver.
When your opponent is a Female Superstar, ignore any reversal restriction from a card and reverse any non-Unique maneuver.
Ignore 'played as a Counter' in your Ability.
F: 6     D: 0     Unique     Permanent     Throwback

Man-handle Slam
Grapple / Reversal: Strike
When played as a Counter, -8F and cannot be reversed from hand.
When played as a reversal, you can play a maneuver in your Ringside as if from hand if it is your first card played during your next turn.
F: 14      D: 6     SV: 2     Unique     Becky Lynch logo

Becky Two Belts
Action + Action
-5F for each Title Belt in your Ring (maximum -10F).
Look at your opponent’s hand, choose 2 cards for each Title Belt in your Ring and he discards them.
When you have no Title Belt in your Ring, shuffle 15 cards from your Ringside into your Arsenal.
F: 25     D: 0     Unique     Multi     Becky Lynch logo
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 06:22:32 PM by Eric RD »

Offline dallasstar17

• +1/-7
  • Team X-Treme
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 02, 2019, 06:06:58 PM »
Working on the set now and getting ready to wrap it all up. Here's an early spoiler of The Man for everyone to enjoy.

THE MAN
Starting Hand Size: 5 Superstar Value: 4
Superstar Ability: When your maneuver played as a Counter is unsuccessful, put a different maneuver from your Ringside into your hand.  When it is successful, you may Promo: 3.
You can pack Becky Lynch cards in your Arsenal with 1 logo and I Am The Man.

This Is The Man’s World
Pre-math Event
Can be played during the Venue phase.
Your Superstar specific maneuvers are considered to have ‘precision’ in the title for your Superstar-specific card effects.
When your opponent’s card is unsuccessful, you may put To Be the Man, You've Got to Beat the Man! from your Backlash into your Ring. You cannot have more than 1 copy of that card in your Ring, it does not take up a slot, it is permanent and replace '10' with 'higher Fortitude or 10.'
F: 0     D: 0     Unique     RMS logo     Permanent

WHO’S THE MAN?!?
Mid-match Reversal: Special
When your opponent is a Male Superstar, reverse any maneuver.
When your opponent is a Female Superstar, ignore any reversal restriction from a card and reverse any non-Unique maneuver.
Ignore 'played as a Counter' in your Ability.
F: 6     D: 0     Unique     Permanent     Throwback

Man-handle Slam
Grapple / Reversal: Strike
When played as a Counter, -8F and cannot be reversed from hand.
When played as a reversal, you can play a maneuver in your Ringside as if from hand if it is your first card played during your next turn.
F: 14      D: 6     SV: 2     Unique     Becky Lynch logo

Becky Two Belts
Action + Action
-5F for each Title Belt in your Ring (maximum -10F).
Look at your opponent’s hand, choose 2 cards for each Title Belt in your Ring and he discards them.
When you have no Title Belt in your Ring, shuffle 15 cards from your Ringside into your Arsenal.
F: 25     D: 0     Unique     Multi     Becky Lynch logo

Do all of these cards have the Becky Lynch Logo or does "This is the Man's World" and "WHO'S THE MAN" only have "The Man" Logos?
Dallasstar17
Oklahoma's Resident Team X-Treme Member

Online Eric RD

• Administrator
  • +20/-1
  • Virtual Lead Developer
    • View Profile
    • Backlash Podcast
« Reply #119 on: October 02, 2019, 06:11:46 PM »
Cards with the Becky Lynch logo have it on the bottom of the card's text.

Offline rachelmon

• +27/-21
  • Kairi Sane is LOVE
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 02, 2019, 06:36:00 PM »
Time to add some fire to my Becky Lynch!

Offline the-edge666

• +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 02, 2019, 11:38:40 PM »
She looks very nice. I have to questions:

1. Does the ability only refer to cards that have "when played as a counter (or the text that it replaced in virtual)" or to any maneuver I play after I ended my opponents turn by reversing his maneuver or action?

2. Since her ability says "in your arsenal" can she pack Team PCB? (Just for clearence)
Beware, take care. Because the freaks come out at night!!!

Online Eric RD

• Administrator
  • +20/-1
  • Virtual Lead Developer
    • View Profile
    • Backlash Podcast
« Reply #122 on: October 03, 2019, 02:27:14 AM »
1. Does the ability only refer to cards that have "when played as a counter (or the text that it replaced in virtual)" or to any maneuver I play after I ended my opponents turn by reversing his maneuver or action?

She only has to play a maneuver as a Counter. Does not matter if the text requirement is on the maneuver she is playing.

2. Since her ability says "in your arsenal" can she pack Team PCB? (Just for clearence)

She’s limited to only packing Arsenal cards with only the Becky logo, and I Am The Man in her Backstage.

Online Eric RD

• Administrator
  • +20/-1
  • Virtual Lead Developer
    • View Profile
    • Backlash Podcast
« Reply #123 on: October 03, 2019, 06:37:39 PM »
We're slowly wrapping up everything for the set to release tomorrow. Here's the last spoiler until the full release.
Each Superstar will have an alternate art card at the tail end of the set. These are my 3 favourites.

Offline MonkeyLord13

• +10/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 04, 2019, 08:11:04 AM »
We're slowly wrapping up everything for the set to release tomorrow. Here's the last spoiler until the full release.
Each Superstar will have an alternate art card at the tail end of the set. These are my 3 favourites.

Wow, those are gorgeous. I'm all about seeing more of these as Raw Deal proceeds.

Thank you for a phenomenal release, Eric and Design Team!