Author Topic: Superstar Strategy Session #12: Goldust  (Read 430 times)

Offline Hogtrail

• +15/-4
    • View Profile
Superstar Strategy Session #12: Goldust
« on: June 19, 2019, 07:24:41 PM »
My goal is to spotlight and break down a different superstar every week by going in depth on their cards, referenced cards, and different types of builds for them.

I posted a poll on the TCO discord channel and this week's Superstar Strategy Session is dedicated to <inhale> Gooooooooooldust!

PART ONE
Let's take a look at his specifics:

Goldust
Starting Hand Size: 5     Superstar Value: 1
Superstar Ability: Whenever you successfully play a maneuver, your opponent must discard 1 card.
VEL

This is almost as straight forward as it gets for superstar abilities. When you successfully play a move, your opponent discards a card. Nice and easy.

A 5 hand size is pretty small, but Goldust having a 1 superstar value allows him to use Underrated Superstar for gain 3 extra cards, and 8 is a pretty good hand size.

Goldust's Wig
Backstage Card
Search your Arsenal for any number of Goldust-specific cards, reveal them, and put them in your Backlash; they are now considered Mid-match cards until successfully played or reversed.
Your Goldust-specific actions cannot be reversed.
Ignore the 'Can only be played...' text on your Goldust-specific maneuvers, and when you have no BASH cards in your Ring, ignore the 'Set-up' text on Butt Bump.
Unique     RMS logo
V1

This card is excellent. Alloqing Goldust to get his specific and basically have them all at his disposal at the start of the game. Also, his actions being irreversible makes them much more playable (and oddly, MORE reversible #RawDeal).

But the part I really like about this card is ignoring the “Can only be played...” text on your specific's, and making Butt Bump a MUCH better card.

A Shattered Dreams Production
Pre-match Event
At the end of the Pre-match phase, look at your opponent's hand, choose 1 card, and your opponent must shuffle the chosen card into his Arsenal.
F: 0     D: 0     Unique     Raw logo
VEL

This is a great card. And Goldust will usually resolve his pre-match last, so this card will be able to have more of an impact. You're likely going to get rid of a Don't Try This At Home, Revolution of the Mind, Don't Be a Douchebag, or perhaps a maneuver your opponent can play on his first turn. This card, like Goldust's ability, is short and sweet-but-effective.

The Dashing and The Bizarre
Pre-match Event
Cannot be blanked.
At the end of the Pre-match phase, search your Arsenal for 1 Superstar-specific card and Electrifying, reveal them, put them in your hand, and shuffle.
When this card is in your Ring, your Electrifying is F: 0, you may ignore the 'Set-Up' text on it, and your opponent cannot play reversals to it; when your non-Trademark Finisher Superstar-specific maneuver is unsuccessfully played, draw up to 2 cards, and when you are The Rhodes Brothers and have lower Fortitude, he also overturns 2 cards.
F: 0     D: 0     Unique     Permanent
V7

Another card that allows Goldie to search for specific cards. And it makes Electrifying much much better (more on that in a minute). I also love being able to draw 2 cards when my specific non-TMF maneuver is unsuccessfully played.

The Rhodes Drop Down Uppercut
Mid-match Strike / Reversal: Special
As a maneuver, this card is -12F and +2D, can only be played after a successfully played 4D+ maneuver and cannot be reversed from hand or Backlash.
As a reversal, reverse any Activated Card Effect or a card played after a Set-Up card; when you are the Rhodes Brothers, your opponent's Fortitude Rating is 15+, and you have either lower Fortitude or fewer cards in hand, this card is -16F.
F: 16     D: 4     SV: 1     Unique
V7

At first glance this card is pretty good... But then you have to remember that Goldust ignore the “Can only be played text...” which means this maneuver doesn't get it's reversal restriction because the full sentence reads as “can only be played after a successfully played 4D+ maneuver and cannot be reversed from hand or Backlash.”

The reversal part of this card is still playable – a souped up cousin to Unscrupulous S.O.B.

All in all, this is overall a decent card. Good enough to pack,

Butt Bump
Strike / Reversal: Special
As a maneuver, can only be played after a Set-up card. Your opponent must discard 1 card.
As a reversal, reverse any maneuver played after a Set-up card and end your opponent's turn.
F: 4     D: 8     SV: 2     Unique     Raw logo
VEL

On it's own, this card isn't too great. However, with your backstage card this becomes very good. As a maneuver, you can just straight up play it without having to worry about a set up card.

But the reversal part of this card is where it's at. “Reverse and maneuver played after a card” is it's modified text – and that is VERY good.

Goldust's Running Senton
High Risk / Action / Reversal: Special
As a maneuver, this card is -4F, can only be played after a successfully played 5D+ maneuver, or when played from hand as a Counter, and can only be reversed from hand.
As an action, this card is -6F when played from hand; shuffle this card into your Arsenal and your opponent discards 1 card.
As a reversal, when played from hand, reverse any card that moves a card from his Ringside.
F: 12     D: 6     SV: 1     Unique
V7

Another pretty good card. This card gives you a reason to not put it into your backlash because of the added reversal restriction, But I would personally want it in my backlash so I could play it as a reversal. Being able to reverse pretty much any recovery card is amazing, especially if you can play it from backlash.

Director's Cut
Grapple
Can only be played after a successfully played 4D or greater maneuver.
Cannot be reversed from your opponent's Backlash deck.
F: 12     D: 13     SV: 2     Unique     Raw logo
VEL

Decent enough maneuver when you ignore the “Can only be played text...” And it has 2 stun, so there's a decent chance you'll be able to draw 2 cards when it's reversed at all by your opponent.

Shattered Dreams
Trademark Finisher
Cannot be reversed.
Can only be played after the card titled Throw Into the Corner Turnbuckle.
When successfully played, your opponent must discard his hand.
F: 25     D: 10     Unique     Raw logo
VEL

I like this card. Cannot be reversed is always good news. And making your opponent discard (half of) his hand. The only problem with this card is that it's a measly 10D. That will hardly put a dent in your opponent's arsenal – good thing he has another TMF!

Goldust's Final Cut
Trademark Finisher / Reversal: Special
As a reversal, when played from hand, reverse any non-Unique Grapple.
Draw up to 2 cards and put 1 of your Backlash cards removed from the game or in your Ringside into your Backlash.
F: 30     D: 20     SV: 3     Unique
V7

Another card that makes you question whether you want it in your backlash or not. I would probably put this in my backlash just so I could have it as a maneuver at my disposal, but I wouldn't argue against leaving it in your arsenal. And when it's successfully played you get to draw 2 cards, or return a key mid-match card to your backlash.

<inhale> Gooooooooooldust
Reversal: Action
Reverse any Action card and end your opponent's turn. Your opponent must discard 2 cards.
F: 2     D: 0     Unique     Raw logo
VEL

A very good action reversal that forces opponent to discard 2 cards. Nothing wrong with that.

Blue Meanie Interferes!
Reversal: Special
Cannot be packed by The Rhodes Brothers.
When played from hand, reverse any card; when the reversed card is Superstar-specific, discard 3 cards or put 3 cards from hand under We're Taking Over.
F: 3     D: 3     Unique     ECW logo
V8

This is a brilliant card. It has those three magic words; “Reverse any card.” The only downside happens if the reversed card is superstar-specific, but that's a balanced effect all things considered. Unfortunately you cannot play this card from your backlash... but that would be TOO good.

Rhodes Family Values
Action + Action
Shuffle any number of cards with logos also on this card from your Ringside into your Arsenal, draw up to 3 cards, and your opponent puts 1 random card from his hand on the bottom of his Arsenal.
F: 5     D: 0     Unique     Multi
V8

The southern fried common man version of McMahon Family Values. Allows you to shuffle in all of your specifics in the ringside, draw 3 cards, and makes opponent lose 1 random card, all at an affordable 5F. Nothing to dislike about this card.

You Will Never Forget the Name of...
Action
Search your Arsenal for up to 2 Maneuver cards, reveal them to your opponent, put them into your hand, and shuffle your Arsenal.
F: 6     D: 0     Unique     Raw logo
DO

This is a pretty basic card, but I see no reason to not pack it, every deck can use this card.

Electrifying
Action
If your next card played this turn is a Set-up card, double all numbers in its text.
If your next card played this turn is a Maneuver card, ignore the "Can only be played after..." text. 
F: 8     D: 0     Unique     Raw logo
INX

Remember that this card got a boost from your Pre-Match card. So now it's F:0, opponent cannot play reversals to it (AND it cannot be reversed anyway), and ignore the Set-Up text!

So basically “If your next card played is a card, double all numbers in it's text.” Think of all the possibilities you have! Maria: Ideal Interviewer makes your opponent bottom 6 cards in hand! Spit at opponent makes him discard 8 cards! Technical Powerbomb becomes a F:0 action that makes opponent discard 8 backlash cards! Candice: Internet Icon allows you to recover 24 cards! The options are aplenty.

Alternatively, you can use it to ignore the “Can only be played text” on a maneuver – like a back splash or another difficult to reverse card. However, I'd rather use the first effect than the second effect.

Goldust's Bizarre Antics
Action + Antic
When played from hand, this card is -4F.
When played after Electrifying, cannot be reversed.
Your opponent puts 1 random card from hand on the bottom of his Arsenal and draws 1 card; shuffle up to 3 cards from your Ringside into your Arsenal and draw 2 cards.
Your next maneuver played this turn is -6F and reversals to it are +12F.
F: 12     D: 0     Unique     Multi
V7

I like this card, but I don't love it as much as his others. Of course if your opponent is under 12F, then I like this card a lot more, but as is, it's only okay. And it's better when played after Electrifying – but I can think of a lot of cards I'd rather play after Electrifying than this one. I would still pack it, but really only because it cannot be reversed when you're Goldust.

That's it! A pretty good lot of cards for Goldie. Most of them pretty simple, but all of them effective. Moving on.

PART TWO
Non-specific cards that can be helpful for Goldust:

This one is pretty simple, focus on cards that destroy your opponent's hand. Some examples:

Spit at Opponent
Action: Heel
Can only be played when you have 2 or more cards in your hand.
Discard 1 card and then your opponent discards 4 cards.
F: 4      D: 0

Face the Music
Action: Face
Your opponent discards cards equal to the number of Face cards in your Ring area. The maximum number of cards he discards from this card is 6.
F: 2      D: 0

Maria: Ideal Interviewer
Action: Run-in
Your opponent puts 3 cards from his hand on the bottom of his Arsenal.
Look at his hand.
F: 2      D: 0

Shocking Interference
Action / Reversal: Special: Heel: Run-in
Cannot be packed by The Heat Seekers, and cannot be moved from your Arsenal by A No Show.
As an action, your opponent discards 6 cards.
As a reversal, reverse any non-unique non-Superstar-specific card and he overturns cards until he overturns 2 reversal cards.
F: 12     D: 0     Unique     Cheater logo     RMS logo

And I've always liked these cards in my Pre-Match for Goldust:

Trash Talkin' Interview
Pre-match Feud
At the end of the Pre-match phase, your opponent looks at your hand and chooses 1 card. Shuffle the chosen card and any other number of cards into your Arsenal and then draw the same number of cards shuffled in.
Then look at his hand, choose 1 card, he shuffles the chosen card into his Arsenal, and draws 1 card. 
Throwback
F: 0      D: 0

In The Interest Of Fairness
Pre-match Event
After all players' Pre-match phases, before the first turn of the game, all players reveal their hands. If you have fewer Reversal cards in your hand than your opponent has in his hand, he shuffles 2 Reversal cards from his hand into his Arsenal and you put 1 card from your hand on the bottom of your Arsenal.
Cheater Logo
Throwback

Basically any good card that causes your opponent to discard is pretty good for Goldust. We'll cover a few more key cards in...

PART THREE
Specific Build Types

First Idea: Chain

Duh. This is the obvious go-to build for Goldust. Chain is meant to make your opponent discard, and discarding is Goldust M.O. When Goldust plays a chain maneuver, his opponent has to decide whether to discard 2 cards to attempt to reverse, OR if the maneuver is successful, opponent has to discard a card anyway for the superstar ability.

Here's a few cards that Chain Goldust likes in particular:

Flawless Transition
Mid-match Grapple / Submission: Chain
Cannot be packed by Shelton Benjamin, Test, or New Nexus.
Can only be played with a non-Superstar-specific printed F: 0 Chain maneuver. When played, choose Grapple or Submission; this card is considered to be only the chosen type for the rest of the turn.
Your opponent cannot play Over Sell Maneuver in response; unless both maneuvers are reversed when played, both are successfully played.
F: 0     D: 0     Unique     RMS logo

Panic Grab (D)
Mid-Match Submission
Can only be played when your Fortitude Rating is less than your opponent's Fortitude Rating. Can only be played with a printed F:0 Submission maneuver of printed 4D or less from your hand. He cannot play the card titled Over Sell Maneuver immediately after you play these cards.
Unless both maneuvers are reversed when played, both are considered successfully played and both go into your Ring area. Unless both cards are reversed, your turn continues.
 (Restricted Modification Symbol)
F: 0      D: 3

These two will cause headaches for your opponent, especially when coupled with any of these:

Ankle Lock
Submission: Chain
When successfully played, your opponent discards 1 card.
Throwback
F: 0      D: 2

Wraparound Wrist Lock (V2)
When successfully played, if your next card played this turn is a maneuver, it cannot be reversed from your opponent's Backlash deck.
F: 0      D: 3

Rest Hold
Your opponent cannot play the card titled Over Sell Maneuver immediately after you play this card.
When successfully played, choose 1: put 1 Mid-match card from your Ringside pile into your Backlash deck, put 1 non-unique card from your opponent's Ring area into his Ringside pile, or choose 1 non-Pre-match card in his Ring area and when this card is in your Ring area that card has blank text.

Chain Goldust tends to build itself, so we can move on.

Second Idea: Volley

There are two reason I choose to focus on Volley. The first reason is:

Managed by Lita
Pre-Match Manager
At the end of the Pre-Match phase, you may put 1 card from your hand on the top of your Arsenal and then search your Arsenal for 1 Volley maneuver, reveal it to your opponent, put it into your hand, and shuffle your Arsenal.
When this card is in your Ring area, if you successfully play a Volley maneuver, you may draw 1 card.
Universally Unique

This means that every time you successfully play a Volley maneuver, you'll draw a card and your opponent will discard a card. And Volley maneuvers are often full of Stun Value, so you should be able to draw even more cards while your opponent's hand dwindles.

The other reason I'm suggesting a Volley build is the drawback of the trait itself:

(Taken from the OmniFaqs)

“If your opponent plays a Reversal card to reverse your Volley card, during his next turn, the cards he plays can only be maneuvers from his hand or Set-up Action cards and if he doesn’t play a maneuver, you may put 1 Volley card from your Ringside pile into your hand.”

If you're playing Goldust correctly, your opponent will always have limited resources in his hand. This means that if your opponent keeps playing cards to reverse your Volley maneuvers, he won't be able to play any actions to rebuild his hand.

And if you're feeling silly, you can include this card:

Buried Alive Match
Pre-match Stipulation
Any player that has at least 5 fewer cards in his hand than his opponent, 10 or more Fortitude less than him, and 20 or more cards removed from the game than him loses the game by Pinfall Victory.
Active
Permanent

Third Idea: Technical

Technical maneuvers are good because if they're successful they allow you to search for another one. And if Goldust can string together a few maneuvers, it means bad things for your opponent.

But the biggest reason I suggest this build is because of...

A Technical Shoot
Mid-Match Action
Search your Arsenal for 1 card with the word "shoot" or "technical" in the title, reveal it to your opponent, put it into your hand, and shuffle your Arsenal.
When this card is in your Ring area, your maneuvers are +1D and when you successfully play a maneuver with the word "shoot" or "technical" in the title, your opponent discards 1 card.

The last sentence in particular peaks my interest. Opponent has to discard a card when your Technical or Shoot maneuver is successful.

This card can be is a little difficult to successfully play, but if you do get it to hit (or perhaps 2 or 3 of them, then your opponent will have a BAD day.

Fourth Idea: Foreign Objects

The biggest, and frankly ONLY reason I suggest this is because of:

<ECW logo> One Night Stand
Pre-match Pay-Per-View Event
When any player successfully plays a Foreign Object maneuver, he may choose 2: draw 1 card, shuffle 1 card from his Ringside pile into his Arsenal, or have his opponent discard 1 card.
Permanent
Unique
F: 0 D: 0

Similar to what I said about Managed by Lita in the Volley section above. If Goldust hits a successful FO, then you can draw 1 and have opponent discard 2 cards.

Combine that card with this one, and you'll have a good time:

Handcuffed
Strike: Foreign Object: Heel
Your opponent cannot play the card titled Over Sell Maneuver immediately after you play this card.
When reversed from your opponent's hand, he discards 2 cards.
When successfully played, draw up to 3 cards.
When this card is in your Ring area, your opponent discards 1 card when he plays a Face card.

Fifth Idea: Falls Count Anywhere Match

This idea is purely for a fun deck build:

Falls Count Anywhere Match
Pre-match Stipulation
Any player wins via Pinfall victory if his Fortitude Rating is greater than his opponent's Fortitude Rating; and if he has 4 cards in his Ring area titled Throw Opponent Out of the Ring, Over the Barricade, Into the Barricade, Over the Top Rope, Tossed Between the Ropes, or Top Rope Toss; and if his opponent has no cards in his hand.
Active
Permanent

None of the cards listed are really any good, but Goldust could pretty easily hit all of the requirements to win via the pin condition. I had this deck built in classic and it won more games than it should have.

PART FOUR
In Conclusion:

Goldust certainly got a MAJOR boost in virtual, and if he gets on a roll he can be a difficult matchup. However, I still don't feel like Goldust is anywhere near the top tier. I doubt you'd ever see Goldie in a tournament setting.

I feel like Chain is really the way to go with Goldust. Perhaps you can combine a few of the ideas above and do a Chain/Volley build, or maybe even a Chain/FO build could be interesting.

All in all, he seems more like a fun superstar than a competitive one.

Please comment anything I may have forgotten or overlooked, or if you've built Goldust before!

I hope you enjoyed this, and hopefully learned a few things.

Check back next week when I cover Tazz!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 08:15:35 PM by Hogtrail »
Please Like The Film Slobs on Facebook and Twitter!

Offline Drywall

• TCO Donor
  • +77/-70
  • 16-bit romantic, proprietor of Geek Street.
    • View Profile
Re: Superstar Strategy Session #12: Goldust
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 08:01:15 PM »
Goldust's Wig
Backstage Card
Search your Arsenal for any number of Goldust-specific cards, reveal them, and put them in your Backlash; they are now considered Mid-match cards until successfully played or reversed.
Your Goldust-specific actions cannot be reversed.
Ignore the 'Can only be played...' text on your Goldust-specific maneuvers, and when you have no BASH cards in your Ring, ignore the 'Set-up' text on Butt Bump.
Unique     RMS logo
V1

Goldust's Running Senton
High Risk / Action / Reversal: Special
As a maneuver, this card is -4F, can only be played after a successfully played 5D+ maneuver, or when played from hand as a Counter, and can only be reversed from hand.
As an action, this card is -6F when played from hand; shuffle this card into your Arsenal and your opponent discards 1 card.
As a reversal, when played from hand, reverse any card that moves a card from his Ringside.
F: 12     D: 6     SV: 1     Unique
V7

Can you use the Senton as a reversal from backlash?
I'm the wind, baby.

Offline Hogtrail

• +15/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 08:14:38 PM »
You are correct - oversight by me!

Offline rachelmon

• +26/-21
  • Ryder-Lynch-Mahal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 04:42:29 AM »
Panic Assault + Shake
Panic Throw + Poke
Panic Grab + Clutch Onto Opponent

Discard 6 in total :D

Offline CategoryOneGames

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 06:59:16 PM »
Hogtrail - THANK YOU SO MUCH for doing these articles. This is exactly what I need. I feel like I make just about every deck the exact same way so this is sooooo helpful. I feel like I need to give you store credit for helping out so much. Can we request superstars or are you doing them in your own order?

Offline Hogtrail

• +15/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 07:14:27 PM »
Hogtrail - THANK YOU SO MUCH for doing these articles. This is exactly what I need. I feel like I make just about every deck the exact same way so this is sooooo helpful. I feel like I need to give you store credit for helping out so much. Can we request superstars or are you doing them in your own order?

Thank you for the kind words! I do take requests and I usually add them to the next weeks poll. I choose 4 superstars for each poll and have the people on the TCO Discord channel vote for the one they'd like to see the most.