Author Topic: Superstar Strategy Session #6: The Corre  (Read 144 times)

Offline Hogtrail

• +15/-4
    • View Profile
Superstar Strategy Session #6: The Corre
« on: May 01, 2019, 02:39:55 PM »
Superstar Strategy Session: The Corre

My goal is to spotlight and break down a different superstar every week by going in depth on their cards, referenced cards, and different types of builds for them.

I posted a poll on the TCO discord channel and this week's superstar this strategy session is dedicated to The Corre!

PART ONE
Let's take a look at their specifics:

The Corre
Starting Hand Size: 4     Superstar Value: 4
Stable Superstar Ability:  At the end of the Pre-match phase, reveal cards from the top of your Arsenal until you have revealed 4 maneuver cards; put them into your Backstage Area and shuffle.
Once during each of your turns, you may reveal 1 maneuver from hand, shuffle it into your Arsenal, and then put 1 maneuver from your Backstage Area into your hand.
V5

First thing is first, A 4 hand and 4 value aren't tremendous, but there are plenty of ways to increase your starting hand. Secondly, The Corre is a Stable. This all but guarantees that you'll be able to play Handicap Match.

As for their superstar ability, It's certainly an interesting one. It can really help you get some key maneuvers into your hand, but there's also a little luck involved. If you like to pack hybrid reversals there's a good chance you can end up with some of them in your backstage area – which could be a good or bad thing. We'll take a closer look at this in Part 2.

Keep the Rebels Down
Backstage Card
Before starting hands are drawn, look at the top 8 cards of your Arsenal and put them back on the top and/or bottom in any order.
Once during each of your turns, choose one: your next maneuver played cannot be reversed from Backlash; OR put 1 non-hybrid reversal from your opponent's Ringside into his Ring, if you do, he puts 1 random non-Backlash maneuver from his Ringside on the bottom of his Arsenal.
Unique     RMS logo
V7

I really like this card. Firstly, it allows you to manipulate your arsenal to get a better hand, and set up your ability. Also, being able to prevent your opponent from reversing your maneuver from backlash can be a sneaky way to finish an opponent off.

However, the best part about this card is next. Being able to put a reversal from your opponent's ringside into his ring is a great effect. Let's say he has Divine Intervention in his ringside, or No Chance in Hell, or perhaps a superstar-specific reversal you don't want to deal with later – the benefits can be tremendous. A lot of Part 3 will revolve around this card.

A Group of Equals
Pre-match Event
Cannot be blanked.
Search your Arsenal for 4 The Corre-specific cards with different additional logos; reveal them, put them under this card, and shuffle.
During your turn, you may put all cards under this card in your hand.
ACE:  During your turn when there are no cards under this card, you may put this card into your Ringside, shuffle 4 cards from your Ringside into your Arsenal, and draw 4 cards.
F: 0     D: 0     Unique     Permanent
V5

The best part about this card is that putting the cards into your hand doesn't have a cost – so your opponent cannot reverse the effect. And as we'll see in a bit, The Corre has 4 trademark finishers – which is what I would search for with this card.

It's also a free way to shuffle in 4 cards from ringside, since that's the cost of the card. And if the ACE isn't reversed you get to draw 4 cards.

I'll Be Your End of Days
Mid-match Action / Reversal: Unique
As an action, your opponent cannot respond to this card.
As a reversal, this card is -4F.
When you have fewer reversals in Ring, your maneuvers are -#F, where # is the number of reversals in his Ring more than you have in your Ring.
ACE: Once during each of your turns, you may remove 1 non-Backlash reversal in your Ring from the game and then put up to 4 cards from your Ringside on the bottom of your Arsenal.  When this effect is reversed, put 1 card from your Ringside into your hand.
F: 4     D: 0     Unique     Permanent
V5

This is their best card. A F:0 unique card reversal, or a 4F action your opponent cannot respond to. This card meshes very well with their backstage card – making your manevuers a little cheaper if opponent has more reversals in his ring. But the best part of this card is the ACE. Removing a reversal from your ring to recover 4 is an amazing effect. Not only can you get those removed cards back with cards like Kristal: Broadcast Beauty and Technical Bear Hug, but it can also clear up your ring for a card like It's Hard Being This Original. You don't have to be afraid to play All Talk – No Action, or any other reversal that comes with a downside.

Now for their arsenal specifics:

Zeke's Intimidating Clothesline
Strike + Strike
When you are Ezekiel Jackson, you have lower Fortitude, and your Fortitude Rating is 5 or less, this card is F: 0.
ACE: During your opponent's turn, you may remove this card from the game to reverse any non-Superstar-specific non-maneuver card or any Run-in, and he overturns 4 cards; when you are The Corre, put this card in your Backstage instead.
F: 5     D: 9     SV: 2     Unique     Multi
V5

I like this card. Decent F to D ratio, 2 Stun Value, and a very good ACE that let's you reverse your opponent's actions, and then you can throw it as a maneuver the following turn.

Heath’s Flying Neckbreaker
High Risk / Action / Reversal: Special
As a maneuver, can only be played after a successfully played maneuver; when you are Heath Slater, can only be played after a successfully played card.
As an action, this card is -5F, put this card on the bottom of your Arsenal and put 1 card from your Ringside into your hand.
As a reversal, reverse any Strike or Action.
F: 10     D: 8     SV: 2     Unique
V5

Chances are you won't be playing this card as a maneuver. Not that it's bad by any means, but this card is, to me, better played as a reversal first, an action second, and lastly a maneuver. Maybe if it were also -5F as a maneuver then I would consider playing it as one. But a nice pain reversal to a strike or action is always welcome.

Barrett's Big Boot
Strike
When you are The Corre, this card is Multi.
ACE:  When you are Wade Barrett and this card is in your Ring, you may put it on the bottom of your Arsenal to reverse a non-Superstar-Specific non-maneuver card.
F: 10     D: 10     SV: 2     Unique
V5

Not much to say here. A 10 for 10 multi strike is pretty good. But this is probably their worst card.

Gabriel’s Spinning Kick
Strike + High Risk / Reversal: Special
As a maneuver, this card is -6F, can only be played after a successfully played card and can only be reversed by Unique cards.
As a reversal, reverse any non-Superstar-specific non-maneuver card.
F: 14     D: 6     SV: 1     Unique     Multi     RMS logo
V5

Every part of this card is good. An 8 for 6 hard to reverse multi strike/high risk, or a nice big reversal to an action. This is one of The Corre's best cards.

However, these next few cards are even better:

Bone-Crushing 450 Splash
Trademark Finisher + High Risk
As a maneuver, can only be played after a successfully played 8D+ maneuver.  Search your opponent's Arsenal, choose 1 card, remove it from the game, and they shuffle; when you are Justin Gabriel, choose 1 additional card.
During your turn when this card is in your hand, you may reveal it, draw 1 card, and shuffle this card into your Arsenal.
F: 25    D: 25     SV: 4     Unique     Multi
V5

Sweetness
Trademark Finisher / Reversal: Special
When played as a maneuver, ignore 'non-Superstar-specific' on The One-Man Rock Band.
As a reversal, reverse any Grapple or non-maneuver card.
When successfully played, your opponent discards 1 card and 1 random card.
F: 30     D: 20     SV: 3     Unique
V5

The Book of Ezekiel
Trademark Finisher / Reversal: Special
When you are Ezekiel Jackson, this card is -5F.
As a reversal, reverse any Strike, Assault, Grapple, or Throw.
Your opponent discards 3 cards.
F: 30     D: 20     SV: 3     Unique
V5

The Wasteland
Trademark Finisher
When you have either 7 or more cards with The Nexus logo, or both the cards titled From NXT Winner to Nexus Leader and Barrett's Big Boot in your Ring, this card cannot be reversed from hand or Backlash. 
You may discard up to 5 cards, and your opponent overturns the same number of cards.
F: 35     D: 30     SV: 3     Unique
V5

That's a lot of beef. Four specific trademark finishers and they're all good. Two of them are solid reversals, all of them solid maneuvers. These are the 4 cards I would go and get with their specific Pre-Match. That way, when you reach about 25F, you can put all of these into your hand and start to pummel your opponent. More on these in Part 2.

The More You Try to Silence Me...
Action
This card is -#F, where # is the number of reversals in your opponent's Ring and cannot be less than 4; when it is reversed, put it in your hand instead.
He may remove # random cards in his Ringside from the game. If he does, draw 4 cards and put 4 cards from your hand on the bottom of your Arsenal. if he does not, put 4 cards from Ringside and/or removed from the game in your hand and when the next card you play is a The Corre-specific maneuver, it is -4F, +4D, and he cannot respond to it. 
F: 12     D: 0     Unique
V5

So this card is already minus at least 4F, makes your opponent remove at least 4 random cards in his ringside from the game – which lets you manipulate your hand, OR, if he doesn't remove cards, you get a bunch of good effects – Including you getting to play one of your specific moves.

...The More I'm Gaining Ground
Reversal: Special
When you have fewer reversals in Ring, this card is -12F.
Reverse any maneuver, and put up to 2 maneuvers in your Ringside into your Backstage area.
F: 20     D: 0     Unique
V5

Pretty standard omni-reversal. Allows you to get 2 maneuvers into your backstage to play later using your ability. And there's a solid chance that this card will be discounted based on it's text.

That's all their specifics. All in all, I really like them.

PART 2
Non-Specifc cards that are useful for The Corre.

I referenced a couple of these in Part 1, so here's the texts:

Handicap Match - Throwback
Pre-match Stipulation
Can only be packed when you can pack the Tag Team Title Belts.
Can only be played when your opponent cannot pack the Tag Team Title Belts.
Your Starting Hand Size is +1, and his Starting Hand Size is -1; your Pre-match and Mid-match Capacity are +2; and once during each of his turns, when you reverse a maneuver from hand, put up to 1 random card from your Ringside on the bottom of your Arsenal.
You cannot play The Champ Is Here!

It's Hard Being This Original
Pre-match Event
Cannot be played by Rikishi, Right to Censor, Brothers of Destruction, or Dude Love.
At the end of the Pre-match phase, search your Arsenal for 2 different non-unique cards, put them into your hand, and shuffle your Arsenal.
You cannot play any card with the same title as a card in your Ring area.
Smackdown logo
Active
Permanent
F: 0      D: 0

Kristal: Broadcast Beauty
Action: Run-in
Shuffle 7 of your cards removed from the game into your Arsenal.
When this card is in your Ring area or hand, your cards titled Kristal: Broadcast Beauty may replace 1 card listed on <WWE logo> Divas: The Next Generation or <WWE logo> Divas Rule!
Fan Favorite Logo
F: 14 D: 0

Technical Bear Hug
Submission / Action
As a maneuver, you may search your Arsenal for 1 card with the word “technical” in the title, reveal it to your opponent, put it into your hand, and shuffle your Arsenal.
As an action, this card is -12D, put this card and up to 2 of your cards that have been removed from the game on the bottom of your Arsenal.
SV: 1
F: 10 D: 12

All Talk, No Action!
Reversal: Action
Reverse any Action card and end your opponent's turn.
When this card is in your Ring area, you cannot play actions from your hand.
F: 3      D: 0

The last few cards interact quite nicely with I'll Be Your End of Days.

I also think this card is a good pack for them:

No Way Out
Pre-match Pay-Per-View Event
Before every Draw Segment, all players overturn 1 card.
Throwback
Unique
F: 0 D: 0

This card will put reversals in your opponent's ringside for you to put into their ring.

And how about this one:

Flurry of Finishers - Throwback
Mid-match Action
Cannot be packed by The Home Team or The Heat Seekers.
During your turn when you are a Stable and have not played or Activated any cards this turn, you may put this card from your Backlash into your Ring.  When the next card you play this turn is a Trademark Finisher, you may play up to 1 additional Trademark Finisher from hand, Backlash, or Ringside (as if from hand or Backlash) with it, and you may ignore the 'Can only be played...' text on 1 of those cards.  Unless both maneuvers are reversed when played, both are considered successfully played; after damage is resolved, your turn ends.

YIKES. This lets you play 2 of your 4 trademark finishers at the same time. Bye bye opponent.

I'll go over a few more key cards right now in...

PART 3
Specific Build Types

The Corre is a superstar that doesn't lean toward one specific build, so there are no shortage of options.

First Idea: Dynamic

Dynamic most definitely got a boost in virtual. And this card is the biggest reason:

Dynamically Inclined
Backstage Card
Cannot be packed by Doink.
Before starting hands are drawn, search your Arsenal and Ringside for 10 non-Trademark-Finisher maneuvers with "dynamic" in the title, put them under this card, and shuffle;  if you do not, hide this card.  At the end of the Pre-match Phase, choose 1 card under this card, put it into your hand, and shuffle the other cards into your Arsenal.
Your Pre-match Capacity is +1 for each The Luck of The Draw card in your Ring greater than 1.
Your non-Unique maneuvers with "dynamic" in the title are -3F and +2D.
When you have lower Fortitude, your opponent is considered to have double the number of reversals in his Ring for your effects with "dynamic" in the title or text.
Unique     RMS logo

Also note how well this interacts with your superstar ability. With this card you can take 10 dynamic maneuvers and set them aside so they aren't piut into your backstage area – assuring you a greater chance to get other key moves in there.

But the main reason I chose Dynamic as the first idea is because of this card:

My Name is Matt Striker … and I Am Your Teacher
Mid-match Action
Can only be played when there is a card with “dynamic” in the title in your Ringside pile.
When your opponent reverses a maneuver from his hand and he has 5 or more Reversal cards in his Ring area and you have a card with “dynamic” in the title in your Ringside pile, you may put this card into your Ring area.
When this card is in your Ring area, once during each of your turns you may reveal 1 card in your hand with the word “dynamic” in the title and then search your Arsenal for 1 card with the word “dynamic” in the title, reveal it to your opponent, put it into your hand, and shuffle your Arsenal.
¶ ¶ ¶ (Activated Card Effect Symbol)
F: 0 D: 3

This card works brilliantly with Keep the Rebels Down, so you'll be able to put this card into your ring earlier than usual, giving you 9 free fortitude. This card also helps you fuel THIS card:

The Luck of the Draw
Pre-match Event: Heat
When this card is in your Ring area, once during each turn, you may discard 1 Heat maneuver or put 1 Dynamic maneuver from your hand on the bottom of your Arsenal and then draw 1 card and put 1 card from your Ringside pile on the bottom of your Arsenal.
You may put this card into your Ringside pile to completely reverse any card that allows your opponent to search his Arsenal and end his turn.
¶ ¶ ¶ (Activated Card Effect Symbol)
F: 0 D: 0

Combine 3 of these with the ACE from your mid mach and you'll be able to recover 7 cards per turn.

I actually built this deck a while ago and I had fun with it. Of course dynamic isn't the most powerful build, but if you combine it with other good cards, it's a great base. I only packed 10 dynamic maneuvers (all different because of Hard Being This Original), along with other good maneuvers like German Suplex, Atomic Lariat, and Shoot Lock Up.

Second Idea: Backed by Vickie

Backed by Smackdown GM Vickie Guerrero
Pre-match Event
Cannot be packed when packing Enforcers or by a Legend, or by Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Latino Cheat, Rey Mysterio, Shane O'Mac, or The People's Champ.
Your opponent cannot play non-Superstar-specific non-D:0 reversals (except Manager Interferes) or Overshot Your Mark to your first non-Superstar-specific Smackdown non-F:0 maneuver played each turn.
Your next Pre-match Smackdown card played gains the text "Your Pre-match Capacity is +1."
F: 0     D: 0     Unique     Smackdown logo

Using this card and loading your deck with Smackdown maneuvers, makes your superstar ability even more powerful. Cards like Face Stretch, Key Lock, Running Clothesline (TB), Diving Bulldog, Diving Takedown, Atomic Knee Drop, and Suicide Lariat all stand a good chance of being readily available to you.

Another card that goes hand in hand with Vickie is :

Premiere Smackdown Superstar
Pre-match Event
Can only be played if your Superstar Value is 3 or greater.
When this card is in your Ring area, when you successfully play a card with the Smackdown logo, you may draw 1 card. Once during each of your turns you may discard 1 card with the Smackdown logo and then put 1 card from your Ringside pile on the bottom of your Arsenal.
Smackdown logo
Active
F: 0      D: 0

This card can really help bulk up your hand – especially if you're using Hard Being This Original.

Third Idea: Reversal Restrictions

You can't really go wrong stocking up on hard to reverse maneuvers. And with their ability to get them in hand early, you can really open up the game. Boot Laces, German Suplexes, Atomic Lariats... chances are you'll get a few of these in your backstage for your ability.

I could go on with other specific types, but The Corre can fit really any build – be it BASH, Chain, Volley, Technical, High Risks... anything really.

PART 4
In Conclusion:

The Corre are very open, and their cards are all pretty good. In the right build, I could see them being a pesky opponent who can survive for a while. And they have 4 specific trademark finishers, which is the best way to finish off an opponent. An experienced Raw Deal player can have a lot of fun playing as these guys.

Please comment anything I may have forgotten or overlooked, or if you've built The Corre before!

I hope you enjoyed this, and hopefully learned a few things. Check back next week when I cover the icon Sting!
Please Like The Film Slobs on Facebook and Twitter!