Author Topic: "Cannot Respond to" game mechanic  (Read 170 times)

Offline Tim (From SG)

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
"Cannot Respond to" game mechanic
« on: April 11, 2019, 06:45:24 AM »
Hi guys

Just have some general questions to clarify regarding the "Cannot Respond to" game mechanic.

#1: Let's say for instance, when opponent plays a "Mean Gene" listed action, which I cannot respond to due to Mean Gene's effect, could I put "Divine Intervention" at the bottom of the arsenal? Based on the FAQ, I'm inclined to say no, but wish to clarify on this aspect.

#2: Secondly, when "The Price We Pay" is already in my ring, does the effect still activate when opponent plays a Mean Gene protected action like "Turn the Tide"?

Thank you.

Quote from RD Virtual FAQ:

"Response, Respond
-A player responds to a card by playing a Reversal card, activating a card effect, even if the card is not in their Ring, or activating their Ability.
-Cards that a player may not respond to will still trigger effects from cards in the Ring or Abilities. EXAMPLE: Diamond Dallas Page will still discard for his opponent's copies of Old School Psychology when he plays It's Me...It's Me...It's D-D-P. EXAMPLE 2: Leader of the Edge Army will still draw and cause Raw Guest Host to discard when Raw Guest Host successfully plays The Price is Raw. EXAMPLE 3: Raven will still draw when Festus hits him with a maneuver protected by ...."

Cheers
Tim

Offline CRASHER

• +90/-56
    • View Profile
Re: "Cannot Respond to" game mechanic
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 06:50:09 AM »
Yes to both, both effects are not responding TO the card....they respond BECAUSE of the card.....if that makes sense, same reason a mean gene's offer handshake would make them discard to a strap match
*IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII* AM the Super Show 2017 Tag Team Champions!!!!!!

Offline Tim (From SG)

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 06:54:22 AM »
Got it! Thanks for the speedy response. So for #1, my thinking was wrong all along, LOL.  :police:

Offline Scotty

• +51/-44
  • Backlash Podcast Co-host
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 07:37:54 AM »
Got it! Thanks for the speedy response. So for #1, my thinking was wrong all along, LOL.  :police:

So was our entire playgroup. Wouldn’t mind a confirmation on #1.

Offline Daeva

• Virtual Contributor, Level 4 Judge, Hope Ender
  • Administrator
  • +318/-214
  • On Balance, Off Balance, Doesn't Matter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 11:54:44 PM »
Divine Intervention is a triggered ability, not a response. You don't have to do anything special to get the opportunity to bottom it, it just happens. Consider CRASHER confirmed.
Nate Weiss, Rules Manager & Dream Killer
"You're no fun." -Creed
Timing question? Look here.
Evidence is everything in a court of law. Evidence is also everything in the Rules Forum.

Offline Tim (From SG)

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 04:53:33 AM »
Got it. Thanks for the confirmation.

Cheers
Tim