Author Topic: MLW Fighters  (Read 408 times)

Offline Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
MLW Fighters
« on: March 11, 2019, 06:56:52 PM »
"Filthy" Tom Lawlor
HS: 7
SSV: 2
MLW Fighter Ability: Whenever you successfully play a Strike Maneuver, draw one card. Whenever you successfully play a Grapple Maneuver, you may search your Arsenal for one Submission Maneuver, reveal it to your opponent, add it to your hand, and shuffle your Arsenal. Whenever you successfully play a Submission Maneuver, you may shuffle one card in your Ringside into your Arsenal. When you have a Strike, Grapple, and Submission in your Ring, draw an additional card during your Draw Step.

Filthy Tom's Mouthguard
Backstage Area
Your opponent's Strike Maneuvers are -2D. If you play a Reversal to a Multi Strike, replace the word "Reverse" with the words "Completely reverse".
During your opponent's turn, after he successfully plays a Maneuver with the word "punch" in the title, you may hide this card. If it has the Restricted Modification Symbol, ignore it. Blank its text and Damage and end your opponent's turn.
Unique

The Ace of Major League Wrestling
Pre-Match Event
Cannot be blanked.
At the end of the Pre-Match Phase, you may reveal up to one non-Multi Strike Maneuver, one non-Multi Grapple Maneuver, and one non-Multi Submission Maneuver from your hand and place them on the bottom of your Arsenal. Search your Arsenal for one of each Maneuver type revealed, show them to your opponent, put them into your hand, and shuffle your Arsenal. If you revealed three cards with this card's effect, you may also search for one Reversal and one Action, reveal them, and put them into your hand.
Unique

No-Ropes No Holds Barred Match
Pre-Match Stipulation
Cannot be blanked and does not take up a Pre-Match Slot in your Ring
All players' Starting Hand Sizes are +1
All Submission Maneuvers are +1D, do not have the Heel trait, and cannot be reversed from Arsenal
No player may play the cards titled "Irish Whip" or "Throw Into The Corner Turnbuckle"
Replace the "Can only be played after" text on all non-Multi High Risk Maneuvers with "Can only be played after a successfully played Maneuver". Reduce the Damage of all non-Multi High Risk Maneuvers by #, where # is equal to half that Maneuver's Damage, rounded up.
Universally Unique

Filthy Ankle Lock
Submission/Reversal: Special
As a Maneuver, -6F, and when successfully played, your opponent discards two cards.
As a Reversal, reverse any Maneuver with the word "Kick" in the title.
10F
8D
Unique

Filthy Flurry
Strike + Strike
If this card is the first non-Pre-Match, non-reversal card of the game you play, can only be reversed from Arsenal.
0F
6D
Unique
Multi
SV1

Standing On The Shoulders of Giants
Mid-Match Action/Reversal: Special
As an Action, can only be played after a successfully played Maneuver. Shuffle # cards from your Ringside into your Ring, where # is equal to the number of Maneuvers in your Ring. If you have a Strike, Grapple, and Submission in your Ring, shuffle an additional 10 cards from your Ringside into your Ring.
As a Reversal, completely reverse any non-Superstar Specific Maneuver.
15F
0D
Unique

Filthy Counter
Reversal: Special
Reverse any non-Unique Maneuver of 10D or less. Overturn three cards.
0F
3D
Unique

Filthy Rear-Naked Choke
Trademark Finisher/Reversal: Special
As a Maneuver, -1F for each Maneuver in your Ring. If you have a Strike, Grapple, and Submission in your Ring, this card is an additional -5F. The card titled Maintain Hold may be played after this card as if it were a Submission Maneuver.
As a Reversal, reverse any Submission or any Maneuver with the words "Maintain Hold" in the text.
35F
20D
Unique
SV3

Coming soon: Ace Austin
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 05:27:29 AM by Queensryche »
Ceterum censeo Chelsea delendam esse.

Don't let this signature distract you from the fact that Dele Alli has 29 more PL goals than Jack Wilshere.

BREAKING NEWS: Arsenal to move to Los Angeles "to be closer to their fanbase" according to Stan Kroenke.

Offline Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
Re: MLW Fighters
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 06:22:26 PM »
Ace Austin
HS: 7
SSV: 0
MLW Fighter Ability: Your Arsenal may contain only 52 cards. At the beginning of your turn, if you have 21 or less cards in your Arsenal, put one card from your Ringside on the bottom of your Arsenal.
Whenever you successfully play a Maneuver with the word "Kick" or "Enzugiri" in the title, if the next card you play is a non-Unique High Risk Maneuver, you may ignore the "Can only be played after" text.
Whenever you successfully play a non-Unique F:7 or D:7 Maneuver, draw three cards.

The Ace of Spades
Pre-Match Event
Cannot be blanked. This card does not take up a slot in your Pre-Match.
Your Starting Hand Size is +1
Each turn, you may skip your Draw Segment. If you do, you may search your Arsenal for one Maneuver with the word "Kick" or "Enzugiri" in the title, reveal it to your opponent, put it into your hand, and shuffle your Arsenal. If you have three or more Maneuvers in your Ring of either F:7 or D:7, you may search without skipping your Draw Segment.
Unique

Pro Wrestling's Prince of Parkour
Mid-Match Action/Reversal: Special
As an Action, search your Arsenal for one non-Unique High Risk Maneuver of 15D or less, reveal it to your opponent, put it into your hand, and shuffle your Arsenal. If it is the next card played this turn, you may ignore the "Can only be played after" text and it is to be considered F:7 for your Fighter Ability.
As a Reversal, reverse any Set-Up, any Maneuver played after a Set-Up or any Maneuver played as a Counter. If the first card played on your next turn is a High Risk Maneuver, you may ignore the "Can only be played after" text.
15F
0D
Unique

The Flop
High Risk
Can only be played after a successfully played Maneuver. Shuffle three cards from your Ringside into your Arsenal.
7F
8D
Unique

The Turn
Strike + High Risk/Reversal: Special
As a Maneuver, can only be played after a successfully played Maneuver or as a Counter. You may take up to four cards in your hand, put them on the bottom of your Arsenal, and draw that may cards.
As a Reversal, reverse any Strike or any High Risk of D:10 or less.
7F
10D
Multi
Unique
SV1

The River
Grapple + High Risk
As a Maneuver, can only be played after a successfully played 5D or greater Maneuver or any Action. -5F to the next Maneuver you play this turn.
15F
10D
Multi
Unique
SV2

Aces High
Reversal: Special
Reverse any Activated Card Effect. Draw one card, shuffle one card from your Ringside into your Arsenal, and your opponent discards one card and overturns one card.
0F
0D
Unique

Is This Your Card?
Mid-Match Action + Action
Choose one non-Backlash, non-Reversal card in your opponent's Ring. This card gains that card's text, traits, and Damage. If this card is successfully played, after it resolves, remove it and the card chosen from the game.
30F
0D
Multi
Unique

The Fold
Trademark Finisher + High Risk/Reversal: Special
As a Maneuver, can only be played after a successfully played 5D or greater Maneuver or as a Counter. Your opponent discards 5 cards.
As a Reversal, reverse any Strike or High Risk.
30F
25D
Multi
Unique
SV3

Coming soon: Mance Warner
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 08:21:31 PM by Queensryche »

Don't let this signature distract you from the fact that Dele Alli has 29 more PL goals than Jack Wilshere.

BREAKING NEWS: Arsenal to move to Los Angeles "to be closer to their fanbase" according to Stan Kroenke.

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +493/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 06:27:45 PM »
I haven't seen any of MLW, but I love the concept of the character and your execution here.  Maybe his Arsenal should only have 52 cards?  Hahaha

CREED
V9: NXT Takeover ("A" Section) - Out Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 07:24:44 PM »
I haven't seen any of MLW, but I love the concept of the character and your execution here.  Maybe his Arsenal should only have 52 cards?  Hahaha

CREED

Thank you Creed!

I had figured out the first part of his Fighter Ability, and the second part just came to me out of the blue as "That'd be cool and it fits!" Everything else fell into place pretty quickly, like the card effects on his maneuvers, the Aces High reversal, and the like. "Is This Your Card?" got an assist from Dilbert when he suggested the card do that. It's based on one of his signature taunts when he's wrestling, when he flicks his hand, shows his opponent an Ace of Spades playing card, and then pummels them.

I was impressed by Austin's match against DJZ this past Saturday, and looked up some highlights, and not only was I impressed, but I began getting a bunch of ideas for a set for him.

Any further feedback from anyone else would be appreciated.

Offline Daeva

• Virtual Contributor, Level 4 Judge, Hope Ender
  • Administrator
  • +319/-214
  • On Balance, Off Balance, Doesn't Matter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 08:34:24 PM »
Why does Ace Austin care about 7s? I'd expect him to like aces (1F/1D), not 7s. Is there a shoutout that I'm missing because I haven't watched a ton of MLW?
Nate Weiss, Rules Manager & Dream Killer
"You're no fun." -Creed
Timing question? Look here.
Evidence is everything in a court of law. Evidence is also everything in the Rules Forum.

Offline Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 03:23:47 AM »
Why does Ace Austin care about 7s? I'd expect him to like aces (1F/1D), not 7s. Is there a shoutout that I'm missing because I haven't watched a ton of MLW?

Part of Ace’s gimmick revolves around being a gambler. Poker in particular but gambling in general as well. And as you know, Triple 7 is the slot reel combo famous for being the jackpot spin. Also 7 being a lucky number in general. Hence why if he plays something that’s F:7 or D:7, he gets cards.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 08:43:10 AM by Queensryche »

Offline Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 07:41:22 PM »
I have made some modifications to Ace Austin:

-Changed "Is This Your Card?" to be Mid-Match
-Per Creed's suggestion and with input from Dilbert, added the Arsenal limitation and additional ability.

Offline Daeva

• Virtual Contributor, Level 4 Judge, Hope Ender
  • Administrator
  • +319/-214
  • On Balance, Off Balance, Doesn't Matter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 09:25:08 PM »
Part of Ace’s gimmick revolves around being a gambler. Poker in particular but gambling in general as well. And as you know, Triple 7 is the slot reel combo famous for being the jackpot spin. Also 7 being a lucky number in general. Hence why if he plays something that’s F:7 or D:7, he gets cards.

If it were me, I'd move toward invoking the triple-7 and give him a card that lets him flip 3 7F/7D cards in his Ring face-down to draw 5. Drawing 3 off of 7F/7D cards makes me kinda leery, 'cause there are some DAMN good 7F actions and reversals out there. Drawing 3 for landing That's Balanced is pretty scary.
Nate Weiss, Rules Manager & Dream Killer
"You're no fun." -Creed
Timing question? Look here.
Evidence is everything in a court of law. Evidence is also everything in the Rules Forum.

Offline Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 04:01:33 AM »

If it were me, I'd move toward invoking the triple-7 and give him a card that lets him flip 3 7F/7D cards in his Ring face-down to draw 5. Drawing 3 off of 7F/7D cards makes me kinda leery, 'cause there are some DAMN good 7F actions and reversals out there. Drawing 3 for landing That's Balanced is pretty scary.

It was absolutely not my intent to include Reversals, so thank you for pointing it out. After your feedback, I decided to keep the draw three clause, but I've restricted it solely to F:7 or D:7 Maneuvers.