Author Topic: New to Raw Deal. Asuka Superstar Question  (Read 843 times)

Offline NerdyD

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
New to Raw Deal. Asuka Superstar Question
« on: January 25, 2019, 03:43:00 PM »
So I read like Asuka like 10 times on velacards.com and I still don't understand her purpose. Can anybody explain to me some cool ideas and tricks she can do. I really wanna build her even if she is bad. Also, she says "she can pack multi unique manevers"....but can all characters pack a multi unique manever? And lastly, what does "promo" keyword mean?

Thanks guys.

Offline niiiiick

• +16/-8
    • View Profile
Re: New to Raw Deal. Asuka Superstar Question
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 03:47:26 PM »
Tricks, I'll defer to someone else, though you may want to look at her backstage and prematch cards as well to find some help there.

There is a rule that Females cannot pack multi maneuvers. Initially, the printed cards had that text, but it was later replaced with an overarching rule to reduce text on cards.

Promo means "Look at X (whatever # is listed after "Promo:") cards from the top of your arsenal, put 1 in your hand, and the rest into your ringside pile"

Offline NerdyD

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 03:59:54 PM »
Thank you. And I don't understand what the backstage area is. How many cards are you allowed to have there? Those cards are in the same area as your superstar right?

Online dilbert505

• Global Moderator
  • +49/-42
  • The Prince of Insufficient Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 04:02:24 PM »
I'm probably not the best person to ask about Asuka, but I can give you a few pointers for others to elaborate on.

First, it is a game rule that female superstars cannot pack Multi maneuvers. They may pack Multi Actions, but maneuvers are a no go, unless their ability says otherwise. In Asuka's case, she has a specific exemption that allows her to pack Multi maneuvers that are Unique. She wouldn't be permitted to pack Flying Takedown, which is not Unique, but she could pack Let Me Get a Shot In, which is.

Second, Promo:# is a keyword that means  "Look at the top # cards of your Arsenal. Put 1 of those cards into your hand and the rest into your Ringside." As a result, when you successfully play a card printed on Asuka's Aggression, in addition to any effects that might be printed on the card, you put 1 of the top 2 cards of your Arsenal into your hand and the other goes to Ringside.

As far as tricks for her, Asuka can do a couple things very well. First, she is a good Back to Basics deck, since every time her cards are not successful, her opponent loses 1 card in his hand and replaces it with the top card of his Arsenal. This can be very disruptive to an opponent with a small hand size. Note that Asuka, built with this card, cannot pack Nobody is Ready for Asuka or Asuka's Furisode and Mask; this is the tradeoff for the ready access you'll have to all the B2B maneuvers.

Second, Asuka can rely on the cards printed on Asuka's Aggression. You can pack a selection of those cards (I do not recommend packing 3 copies of all of them, since that would take up too much space in your Arsenal, but you can pick the ones you like best), all of them play at F:0, you get the Promo bonus we just talked about, and not only do you get the benefit of Asuka's ability, but you also get the effect on Nobody is Ready for Asuka if they reverse your first maneuver. This will help whittle down your opponent's hand size. You also have the option of searching out cards printed on Asuka's Aggression, using the ACE on Asuka's Furisode and Mask, so you're guaranteed to have a maneuver to throw every turn if you are behind in Fortitude.

Third, you can lean into the option to pack Unique Multi maneuvers. Note that you still cannot pack Unique Multis like Sucker Punch, as the original version is Heat, and the Throwback version is Volley, and Asuka's ability forbids that, but you would still get to pack maneuvers like Whirlwind Kick, Chain Lashing TB, and Spinning Wrist Lock Hammerlock Headlock Takedown Armbar of Doom, which do not have the forbidden traits and key words on the card. These maneuvers can be a bit harder to reverse, and give Asuka a good way to bridge from her lower-end maneuvers into her more impactful Superstar-Specific maneuvers.

Hopefully, this will give you some ideas, and others may be able to come along and help flesh out what I've given you here.

--------

And I just saw your second post.

The Backstage Area is a zone in which you pack Superstar cards, Enforcer cards, Backstage cards, and any cards that your Superstar-Specific cards give you explicit permission to pack there.

Most Backstage cards are Unique, and you will only pack one copy of each (unless you are Test, whose ability overrides this). Some, like Chris Jericho's World Tour '05, say otherwise, and you follow the pack restriction on that card. Unless a card specifically tells you that it limits the number of cards you may pack in the Backstage Area, you may pack 1 of any card you are legally allowed to pack in that zone.

Note that there are specific limitations here: Legendary Defense specifies that it may only be packed by a Legend. Enforcers may only be packed by superstars that may reveal them. PRO cards may only be packed by superstars with a Rookie Superstar Ability. Feminine Wiles may only be packed by a Diva, Mae Young, or the Fabulous Moolah. You'll see a few other restrictions, but they all work like one of these.

One thing to note: you may reveal as many, or as few, cards as you wish from your Backstage. You are not obligated to reveal every card you pack there, but it is rare that you will not want to.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 04:09:09 PM by dilbert505 »
Universally Recognized as a Mature and Responsible Adult.

Playing on Lackey? I'm on US Eastern Time; you can check what time it is for me here.

Offline niiiiick

• +16/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 04:04:32 PM »
Thank you. And I don't understand what the backstage area is. How many cards are you allowed to have there? Those cards are in the same area as your superstar right?

Might be text overload, but here is the OmniFAQ entry:

Backstage Area
-The new zone of the game is called the Backstage Area.  Enforcer cards and Superstar cards are all revealed from the Backstage Area.
-The only cards legal to pack in the Backstage Area are those with specific wording that allows them to be packed, or cards named by the Superstar Ability that may be revealed.
-All Enforcer cards now have Most Recent Printing stating that they are revealed from the Backstage Area.
-Cards revealed from the Backstage Area are not considered to be in your Ring Area.
-You do not have to reveal every card in your Backstage Area.  Cards that remain unrevealed cannot be used in the game until they are revealed.
-The Backstage Area follows the Face/Heel and Raw/Smackdown rules for deck construction, and must correspond to your Arsenal and Backlash deck.
-You cannot have more than one of each card in your Backstage Area.
-'Hide' is a new term in Raw Deal. When applied to Backstage cards, they are no longer revealed, and have no effect on the game.
-The Backstage Area is a public area of the game, an opponent may see the cards in the Backstage Area during the game.
-Unless specified, only one copy of any card can be packed in the Backstage Area, with the exception of Test who can pack and reveal two copies of Unique Backstage Area cards like WWE Signing Appearance.
-Unless otherwise stated, Backstage Area cards are revealed when revealing the Superstar card.  This is done simultaneously, including choosing any Enforcers from revealed Enforcer cards.  There is no option to wait until an opponent has revealed his Backstage Area cards or chosen an Enforcer to make these choices.

So....basically, they are the upright purple cards, that are revealed with your superstar card that have additional effects that affect the game. Asukas specifically has some maneuvers listed that she makes better, and her prematch card interacts with them even further

Offline NerdyD

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 10:34:46 PM »
Thank you sooo much. Everybody for the speedy response and everything. I really appreciate it.

Offline NerdyD

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 10:39:50 PM »
I'm probably not the best person to ask about Asuka, but I can give you a few pointers for others to elaborate on.

First, it is a game rule that female superstars cannot pack Multi maneuvers. They may pack Multi Actions, but maneuvers are a no go, unless their ability says otherwise. In Asuka's case, she has a specific exemption that allows her to pack Multi maneuvers that are Unique. She wouldn't be permitted to pack Flying Takedown, which is not Unique, but she could pack Let Me Get a Shot In, which is.

Second, Promo:# is a keyword that means  "Look at the top # cards of your Arsenal. Put 1 of those cards into your hand and the rest into your Ringside." As a result, when you successfully play a card printed on Asuka's Aggression, in addition to any effects that might be printed on the card, you put 1 of the top 2 cards of your Arsenal into your hand and the other goes to Ringside.

As far as tricks for her, Asuka can do a couple things very well. First, she is a good Back to Basics deck, since every time her cards are not successful, her opponent loses 1 card in his hand and replaces it with the top card of his Arsenal. This can be very disruptive to an opponent with a small hand size. Note that Asuka, built with this card, cannot pack Nobody is Ready for Asuka or Asuka's Furisode and Mask; this is the tradeoff for the ready access you'll have to all the B2B maneuvers.

Second, Asuka can rely on the cards printed on Asuka's Aggression. You can pack a selection of those cards (I do not recommend packing 3 copies of all of them, since that would take up too much space in your Arsenal, but you can pick the ones you like best), all of them play at F:0, you get the Promo bonus we just talked about, and not only do you get the benefit of Asuka's ability, but you also get the effect on Nobody is Ready for Asuka if they reverse your first maneuver. This will help whittle down your opponent's hand size. You also have the option of searching out cards printed on Asuka's Aggression, using the ACE on Asuka's Furisode and Mask, so you're guaranteed to have a maneuver to throw every turn if you are behind in Fortitude.

Third, you can lean into the option to pack Unique Multi maneuvers. Note that you still cannot pack Unique Multis like Sucker Punch, as the original version is Heat, and the Throwback version is Volley, and Asuka's ability forbids that, but you would still get to pack maneuvers like Whirlwind Kick, Chain Lashing TB, and Spinning Wrist Lock Hammerlock Headlock Takedown Armbar of Doom, which do not have the forbidden traits and key words on the card. These maneuvers can be a bit harder to reverse, and give Asuka a good way to bridge from her lower-end maneuvers into her more impactful Superstar-Specific maneuvers.

Hopefully, this will give you some ideas, and others may be able to come along and help flesh out what I've given you here.

--------

And I just saw your second post.

The Backstage Area is a zone in which you pack Superstar cards, Enforcer cards, Backstage cards, and any cards that your Superstar-Specific cards give you explicit permission to pack there.

Most Backstage cards are Unique, and you will only pack one copy of each (unless you are Test, whose ability overrides this). Some, like Chris Jericho's World Tour '05, say otherwise, and you follow the pack restriction on that card. Unless a card specifically tells you that it limits the number of cards you may pack in the Backstage Area, you may pack 1 of any card you are legally allowed to pack in that zone.

Note that there are specific limitations here: Legendary Defense specifies that it may only be packed by a Legend. Enforcers may only be packed by superstars that may reveal them. PRO cards may only be packed by superstars with a Rookie Superstar Ability. Feminine Wiles may only be packed by a Diva, Mae Young, or the Fabulous Moolah. You'll see a few other restrictions, but they all work like one of these.

One thing to note: you may reveal as many, or as few, cards as you wish from your Backstage. You are not obligated to reveal every card you pack there, but it is rare that you will not want to.

Thanks dude. That's really in depth and I get it. But I just looked up back 2 basics. Great card but then I wont have any reversals when my opponent searches my deck since most reversals are non superstar specific.

Also, me and my friend just played for hours....We still are struggling with how overturn reversals work.

I read in the rule book that when you reversal from your arsenal that the reversal card is blank and that you only check for the title. So for example:

I play chop, which is a strike. my opponent doesn't have a step aside. so he overturns and hits a elbow to the face. does he stop overturning or no because that says reversal special and not reversal strike?

Sorry about the extra question but this has been leaving kinda stumped at times.

Offline Daeva

• Virtual Contributor, Level 4 Judge, Hope Ender
  • Administrator
  • +319/-214
  • On Balance, Off Balance, Doesn't Matter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 11:18:41 PM »
Back to Basics only checks for non-unique maneuvers. You can run non-unique reversals without getting spiked by Basics, as long as those reversals aren't also maneuvers. Leg Drag TB is out, but Elbow to the Face is fine.

Speaking of Elbow, let's tackle the other half of your question. Your understanding of how overturned reversals work is fine in basic, but the details are a bit gummier. Overturned reversals are not blank; Reversal: Special still works fine on the flip as long as its text doesn't specify that it has to be from hand. However, an overturned reversal is not played or successfully played, so any text that relies on those things will not work. Elbow to the Face will catch a 7D maneuver and stop it from going further, but it won't go into your Ring or deal 2 Damage. A Revolution of the Mind can catch any Strike, Grapple, or Submission on the overturn, but won't draw you a card, deal 1 Damage, or go into your Ring, as those are all functions of successfully playing the card. A Revolution of the Mind WILL remove itself from the game, because that effect applies when it reverses from Arsenal by the card's own text.

Is that clearer? If things are still hazy, please ask and we'll help you sort it out.
Nate Weiss, Rules Manager & Dream Killer
"You're no fun." -Creed
Timing question? Look here.
Evidence is everything in a court of law. Evidence is also everything in the Rules Forum.

Offline NerdyD

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 06:37:05 AM »
Back to Basics only checks for non-unique maneuvers. You can run non-unique reversals without getting spiked by Basics, as long as those reversals aren't also maneuvers. Leg Drag TB is out, but Elbow to the Face is fine.

Speaking of Elbow, let's tackle the other half of your question. Your understanding of how overturned reversals work is fine in basic, but the details are a bit gummier. Overturned reversals are not blank; Reversal: Special still works fine on the flip as long as its text doesn't specify that it has to be from hand. However, an overturned reversal is not played or successfully played, so any text that relies on those things will not work. Elbow to the Face will catch a 7D maneuver and stop it from going further, but it won't go into your Ring or deal 2 Damage. A Revolution of the Mind can catch any Strike, Grapple, or Submission on the overturn, but won't draw you a card, deal 1 Damage, or go into your Ring, as those are all functions of successfully playing the card. A Revolution of the Mind WILL remove itself from the game, because that effect applies when it reverses from Arsenal by the card's own text.

Is that clearer? If things are still hazy, please ask and we'll help you sort it out.

Yes that helps sooo much thank you. We been playing the overturn reversals sooo wrong. We been making the reversals special blank on overturning. Smh. So does this rule apply to cards like belly to belly and vertical suplex as well? Or can they still only be reversed by the same card.

Lastly, I overturn cards from a punch I hit people's ddt on the second overturn....so it stops the attack but no damage is dealt to my opponent and i cant search right?

Offline Tim (From SG)

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 07:21:22 AM »
Yeap. The people's DDT would reverse punch on the overturn and stop the damage. The People's DDT will not do any damage and the search effect doesnt take place since its overturned as a reversal and doesn't count as successfully played for the card's effect.

Offline NerdyD

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 08:51:16 AM »
got it. thanks

Offline Daeva

• Administrator
  • +319/-214
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 11:28:00 AM »
Yes that helps sooo much thank you. We been playing the overturn reversals sooo wrong. We been making the reversals special blank on overturning. Smh. So does this rule apply to cards like belly to belly and vertical suplex as well? Or can they still only be reversed by the same card.

If I overturn a Vertical Suplex, it'll reverse your Vertical Suplex. Overturning a Belly to Belly Suplex won't help, because Belly to Belly's text says that it reverses Belly to Belly Suplex, and Vertical Suplex isn't titled Belly to Belly Suplex. Of course, overturning an Escape Move will reverse either one.
"You're no fun." -Creed
Evidence is everything in a court of law. Evidence is also everything in the Rules Forum.

Offline NerdyD

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2019, 06:01:20 PM »
Thanks. Also, I just realize Charlotte Flair has multi unique moves....but I thought female wrestlers cant pack them?

Online dilbert505

• Global Moderator
  • +49/-42
  • The Prince of Insufficient Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2019, 06:08:25 PM »
Thanks. Also, I just realize Charlotte Flair has multi unique moves....but I thought female wrestlers cant pack them?

There is a game rule that states that a card with a Superstar logo can be packed and played by a Superstar that can legally pack it, regardless of restrictions. Lita's DDT, for example, can be played by Lita even though it is a D:6 (IIRC) Grapple, and her ability forbids her from packing Grapples of 4D+. This is how Charlotte's Multi maneuvers override that game rule.

The exceptions to this game rule are cards that specifically name the superstar who can pack it (for example, Corporate Kane explicitly states it can only be packed by Kane; this forbids Big Freak'n Machine from packing it, despite the Kane logo ) or cards that say they cannot be packed with other superstar specific cards (for example, The Dead Man's Motorcycle, a Dead Man Inc. card, specifically says it cannot be packed when packing The Urn or Managed by Paul Bearer.)
Universally Recognized as a Mature and Responsible Adult.

Playing on Lackey? I'm on US Eastern Time; you can check what time it is for me here.

Offline NerdyD

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2019, 06:10:49 PM »
Ah. I see. I mean superstar specific cards can only be packed by the specific superstar

Offline Daeva

• Administrator
  • +319/-214
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 10:42:25 PM »
Females and Superstar-specific Multis are explained in the Virtual FAQ.

Multi
-Female Superstars may pack Multi Superstar-specific maneuvers when one of the following conditions are met:
 -Their Superstar logo is on the card.
 -A Superstar logo that they are given specific permission to pack cards from by their Superstar Ability is on the card.
-EXAMPLE: Gail Kim and Gail Kim + Molly Holly may pack Flying Dragon Armbar, but cannot pack Edge's Running Spear, even if they are packing Revolution Edge Is In My Corner!.
-Beth Phoenix and any version of Chyna that packs Don't Treat Me Like a Woman may pack Multis normally without being affected by this ruling.
-(This ruling is intended to preserve previous Corner functionality even though Multis with female Superstars' logos now exist.)

So a female can pack Superstar-specific Multi maneuvers when they're HER Multi maneuvers, or if her Ability gives her permission to pack Multi maneuvers in some form. Charlotte's fall into the former category.
"You're no fun." -Creed

Offline NerdyD

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 01:07:01 PM »

If I overturn a Vertical Suplex, it'll reverse your Vertical Suplex. Overturning a Belly to Belly Suplex won't help, because Belly to Belly's text says that it reverses Belly to Belly Suplex, and Vertical Suplex isn't titled Belly to Belly Suplex. Of course, overturning an Escape Move will reverse either one.

So if I play a multi manveuer and they don't reverse it from hand....do my opponent have to 2 overturn 2 reversals to reverse it from their arensal?

Offline Daeva

• Administrator
  • +319/-214
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2019, 01:45:11 PM »
Multi maneuvers must be reversed twice in order to stop the maneuver and end the turn. If none of those reversals come before the maneuver deals its Damage, then both would need to come from the Arsenal in order to completely reverse the maneuver.
"You're no fun." -Creed