Author Topic: Heat  (Read 745 times)

Offline W4RP47H

• TCO Donor
  • +4/-5
    • View Profile
Heat
« on: January 14, 2019, 03:00:56 AM »
I feel like I have a good mastery of chain, volley, shoot, technical, dynamic and other decks...but heat eludes me. I know people have good luck here. Some have mentioned Andre. Can someone break down heat insights that they have? I might want to make a heat deck but it seems counterintuitive to my typical play style. Also a friend of mine has be interested in it and I suggested Xpac but confessed I'm not the heat guy.

Offline Hogtrail

• +15/-4
    • View Profile
Re: Heat
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 06:28:39 AM »
Anyone with an Ability to discard can potentially be a heat deck. My favorite heat decks I've made have been Billy Gunn, Snitsky, and Rey Mysterio.

I typically go fan favorite for sizzling clothesline to make my F:0 heat maneuvers multi.
Please Like The Film Slobs on Facebook and Twitter!

Offline Scotty

• Card Designer
  • +51/-44
  • Backlash Podcast Co-host
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 09:18:54 AM »
Pure heat decks can be really tricky, you almost need a superstar ability that supports it (Ambrose, NWO, Snitsky, Hassan, etc)

Back in the day, most of my heat decks ran Hell in a Cell, since recovery isn’t always an option (until later sets). My favourite heat deck was Kane/BFM.

Offline Hogtrail

• +15/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 09:32:22 AM »
In virtual, I enjoy Dangerous Alliance as a Chain/Heat deck
Please Like The Film Slobs on Facebook and Twitter!

Offline Dr_phillanomics

• +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 11:04:29 AM »
Leader of the Peepulation used to be obscene as a heat deck by abusing backfire/entangle in the ropes. Thankfully they've toned him down in virtual. I agree though, heat seems to be one of the weaker deck archetypes in today's meta. Jericho is the only heat deck I've tried in recent times and he works pretty well with a splash of chain.
The smartest man in Royal Rumble history.

Offline Daeva

• Virtual Contributor, Level 4 Judge, Hope Ender
  • Administrator
  • +319/-214
  • On Balance, Off Balance, Doesn't Matter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 12:09:19 PM »
I think that the important takeaway here is that you don't need to commit 100% to any one mechanic, as long as the mechanics that you're using don't clash with each other. Trying to mix Heat and Volley is probably folly, but you can run Heat and get some mileage out of it without just building Heat.dec. Blending Chain and Heat has tended to work well for me, since you can drop Heat cards to fish out more Chain stuff and there are recovery options like Personal Vendetta that have both traits.
Nate Weiss, Rules Manager & Dream Killer
"You're no fun." -Creed
Timing question? Look here.
Evidence is everything in a court of law. Evidence is also everything in the Rules Forum.

Offline W4RP47H

• TCO Donor
  • +4/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 05:10:09 AM »
Wow lots of good responses. Is blinside counterintuitive with heat?

Offline Scotty

• Card Designer
  • +51/-44
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 09:55:34 AM »

Absolutely counterintuitive.

While the idea of mixing traits is a good one, Heat is probably the toughest to do so (recovery restrictions, Headstrong restrictions).

Offline BigPimpin

• +276/-147
  • Straight Gangsta, Foo'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 10:19:41 AM »

Absolutely counterintuitive.

While the idea of mixing traits is a good one, Heat is probably the toughest to do so (recovery restrictions, Headstrong restrictions).

Well, it depends. 

There are Blindside cards that don't touch the Ringside Pile at all.

Blindside Tornado Strike for all (rips red from Ring)
Blindside Drop Toe Hold (takes a Pre/Mid out of your Ring, could put more Heat in the pile) for FF
Blindside Sleeper (kills a single card from the Ring) for FF
Blindsided by the Dangerous Divas (recover RFG, risky with Headstrong) for FF
Blindside Takedown (rips a card from your Ring, usually an inconsequential one).

If you're not running Sizzling Clothesline, then you may also consider Blindside Beal Toss as a starter; when running Sizzling Clothesline, it's not good enough to make the cut.

I'd 100% stay away from Choke, Slam, Kick, and Ab Stretch though unless you're The Rattlesnake or are certain the Cell is going to stick.

EDIT: These options mostly all work better for Heels, since Once Is Enough is a prime target for most of the Ring removal. 
Discord: MightyBP
Time Zone: EST
Available Lackey Hours: late nights (8-9 PM starts), some weekend evenings or morning.

100% reason to remember the name.

I'm the reason the hood need a dental plan.

Offline Scotty

• Card Designer
  • +51/-44
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 04:15:50 PM »
Don’t you need to play all of these blindsides from ringside to get those effects? In which case you are moving a card from ringside and must first remove all heat cards to play them?

Offline Daeva

• Virtual Contributor, Level 4 Judge, Hope Ender
  • Administrator
  • +319/-214
  • On Balance, Off Balance, Doesn't Matter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 04:25:06 PM »
Playing cards isn't considered to be moving them. This is the same principle that allows you to play Blindsides from Ringside in a Cell.
Nate Weiss, Rules Manager & Dream Killer
"You're no fun." -Creed
Timing question? Look here.
Evidence is everything in a court of law. Evidence is also everything in the Rules Forum.