Author Topic: Bam Bam Bigelow  (Read 326 times)

Offline Hogtrail

• +15/-3
    • View Profile
Bam Bam Bigelow
« on: January 11, 2019, 10:53:28 AM »

Let me preface this post by saying that this isn't an attack or criticism of the virtual team or anyone on TCO. This is mearly one players opinion.

I feel like there is no reason to play as Bam Bam Bigelow and he needs help. He's probably the least playable superstar from V4. His superstar ability costs too much for too little. Sure, he gets Million Dollar Corporation support, but those cards don't help him that much compared to the other members. His ability to make Cartwheel an omni reversal is his best quality, but his specific reversal makes cartwheel worse.

There are other superstars that do what he does, only better (Vader, Rusev, RVD, even someone like Big Pappa Pump can discount their cards at much less of a cost). And by the time you have enough stun value in your ring, you probably already have enough Fortitude to play the card anyway. I know Bigelow can discount any CARD, but a lot of actions don't make it into a lot of decks due to the fear of OSWM.

His first maneuver is all but guaranteed to get Restricted Use/Reach Exceeds Your Grasp, if not reversed regularly from hand.

Why restrict his volley maneuvers with Asbury Park? Bookerman has a much more powerful ability to protect his volley moves, and much better support. Bam Bam feels restricted to Tech Drop Kicks, DLB, and a few high risks. It's very hard to get started with him.

Bigelow's specific cards are decent, but not all THAT great, and he doesnt have many.

I think if Bigelow got an ECW Backstage card, it would make his MUCH more playable. He could pack house that hardcore built, discount his Foreign Objects (a lot of which have stun value), then his Ability would help more and earlier, and he wouldn't take non-unique damage to his FO's.

Again, I only bring this up because you guys actually take player feedback into account. And I'm also willing to listen to other players who may have had a successful Bam Bam build.
Please Like The Film Slobs on Facebook and Twitter!

Online BigPimpin

• +276/-147
  • Straight Gangsta, Foo'!
    • View Profile
Re: Bam Bam Bigelow
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 12:24:48 PM »
It's funny you mention Foreign Objects, because one of the better things Bam Bam does is objects.  We had a guy run a Kitchen Sink Bam Bam deck to very good success around here.  Also, Million Dollar Corp is hands-down my favorite faction because it's SO damn powerful.  Being printed on that faction and hitting Tax Tips from IRS is basically game over.

If Bam Bam has a weakness, it's definitely his endgame.  His finisher hasn't aged well, and his ability really doesn't do much when you have Fortitude (the ability to dodge Undermine aside).  And yes, the interaction with BAM BAM! and Cartwheel was intended to save him from burning on his ability, but it can be looked at as a downside for Unique cards.  Tax Tips from IRS covers SOME of that, but there are other ways to end games in Raw Deal these days that he can utilize (Victory Roll, Crucifix TB, That's It, etc). 

EDIT: The suggestion about House that Hardcore Built, while thematic, doesn't help much.  You can get a similar effect by slotting One of the Big Boys into your Pre-Match and using your ability to discount things.  1D on non-unique reversals, and -4F from the door if you run both Diva Bikini Contest and the Venue.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 12:26:27 PM by BigPimpin »
Discord: MightyBP
Time Zone: EST
Available Lackey Hours: late nights (8-9 PM starts), some weekend evenings or morning.

100% reason to remember the name.

I'm the reason the hood need a dental plan.

Offline Naitchng

• +0/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 12:46:16 AM »
1st turn headbutt drop if u go bash, nth much to complain abt, i would complain more abt asuka then abt bam bam

Offline GamerZombie

• +8/-9
  • Road to Victory to draw a card!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 08:45:05 PM »
Most the guys you mentioned being better have abilities that only effect moves. Bam Bam can discount all cards. He also gets faction and classic support. Granted V 1-4 some stuff has not aged well. Reversing non-unique for example is not as good as it was when the printed cards were a majority.
-Collin Simon- (Guy with the Raw Deal sign at MiB 15')
--The Guardtower Raw Deal League Organizer--
---The Guardtower, Columbus Ohio

Offline Keith0913832

• TCO Donor
  • +14/-3
  • Onward with the <R>evolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 08:38:38 AM »
While I have no views on Bam Bam, Hogtrail did a fine job putting his case across by stating out in a neutral way why he thinks Bam Bam has room for improvement. At least it shows that thought and effort to try the superstar has been done before leaving a comment. Kudos for that!

But since we are on the topic of Bam Bam, here are the list of actions that are protected by his Venue:

Back-and-Forth Action
Billion Dollar Princess
Debilitating Injury: Concussion
Do You Know Who I Am?
Everybody Wants (and Needs) a ... Snow Job?
From the Top Rope
From the Top Rope (tb)
Ladder In the Ring
Overwhelming Crowd Support
Painfully Obvious Precision
Ring Rats
See How It Feels (tb)
Seeing Stars
Small Concealed Foreign Object (tb)
So Much Larger Than Life
Stop Sign
Table! Table! Table!