Author Topic: Major League Wrestling (MLW)  (Read 85 times)

Offline Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
Major League Wrestling (MLW)
« on: January 12, 2019, 12:26:22 PM »
Many months ago, I was flipping through some channels looking for something to watch when I stumbled upon something I was unaware was on BeIN Sports. It was pro wrestling. I was shocked. Then I heard Tony Schiavone's voice, and I was even more shocked. Then I found out it was Major League Wrestling. I thought "Wait, didn't that promotion run for a couple of years and then shut down?" A quick Google search confirmed that yes, it had, but that Court Bauer not only decided to revive the promotion, but also got a TV deal on BeIN Sports for every Friday at 8 PM.

I'd been watching it on and off, and kept on getting more and more impressed. And then I recently found out that MLW actually puts up their TV shows on YouTube after they air, but presents them as a YouTube Premiere for those people that don't have BeIN Sports. I've been binge watching it since and am now a huge fan, to the point that when MLW comes to Philadelphia on February 2nd, Dilbert and I will be going to the show.

What I've found since I've been watching MLW:

-Tony Schiavone's REALLY repairing his reputation as a wrestling commentator quickly. In an interview, he admitted his faults and attributed it partially to knowing that what WCW was putting out was crap and as a result, not being all that invested. Here? He's completely invested, and he's also showing off a great sense of humor and chemistry with both Matt Striker and Rich Bocchini. As a result, his commentary has been great.

-There's a couple of ring oldies that can STILL go. LA Park (aka La Parka) is in his early fifties and isn't exactly in the best shape, but MAN can he still go. For that matter, Carl Ouellet (aka Quebecer Pierre) reinventing himself as "The French Frankenstein" PCO and doing split-legged moonsaults and suicide dives at age 50 has caught me completely off guard.

-Teddy Hart has resurrected his career. As it turns out, there's a reason for past incidents and bad behavior by him: he's bipolar but wasn't diagnosed until a couple of years ago. Now he's getting treatment for it, and he's not only calmed down but also been putting on some great matches.

-Teddy's stablemate Brian Pillman Jr has so far in his young career impressed. He has echoes of his father, but is absolutely not trying to be his dad. Gonna keep an eye on him.

-Lucha Bros (Pentagon Jr and Fenix) are amazing performers. Twice they've been involved in matches defending their tag titles where the fans in attendance have thrown money into the ring at the end. For the uninitiated: in Mexico, if a match is particularly impressive, the crowd shows its appreciation by throwing money into the ring.

-There's all sorts of styles being demonstrated, and the workers have also shown an impressive ability to adapt their preferred styles so there isn't a lack of chemistry.

-Konnan in LAX was kinda embarrassing, seeing as how he was acting like a middle-aged gangbanger. Konnan as the mentor and veteran presence for Lucha Bros and other wrestlers is much better.

-"Filthy" Tom Lawlor is great. That's all that needs to be said.

Overall, I'm hooked. Friday nights at 8 PM have become can't miss TV for me.

I encourage you to check out MLW by binge-watching their shows. Check 'em out on YouTube here.
Ceterum censeo Chelsea delendam esse.

Don't let this signature distract you from the fact that Dele Alli has 29 more PL goals than Jack Wilshere.

BREAKING NEWS: Arsenal to move to Los Angeles "to be closer to their fanbase" according to Stan Kroenke.