Author Topic: Is there a list of formats?  (Read 180 times)

Offline Ubilupus

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Is there a list of formats?
« on: September 08, 2018, 08:50:54 PM »
I finally dug my stuff out from my mom's house this weekend, and I want to build a couple decks for the different formats before I unload a bunch of my collection. I've seen mention of a few of the formats in different discussions, but I can't find a comprehensive list of what they are and what the the build rules are for them.

Am I just missing it or is there not an organized list?
What are the formats?

Offline niiiiick

• +16/-8
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a list of formats?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 05:12:03 AM »
Dont think there is, but it really is as follows:

Classic
Virtual Classic
Revolution
Virtual Revolution
All-Axxess
Virtual All-Axxess
NXT
Tornado tag (unofficial format)

Offline Ubilupus

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 05:37:39 AM »
Ok, so from what I can tell, Classic is pre-revo
Revo is Revo and later? Or just Revo?
Al-Axxess is anything goes
And NXT is....????

Offline dilbert505

• +49/-42
  • The Prince of Insufficient Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 08:06:42 AM »
In brief: (6 of these are simple, two are less so)

Classic - Any card printed by Comic Images without the Revolution logo. You may pack 10 Pre-Match cards and 10 Mid-Match cards in your Backlash deck, and you have 5 slots to play each type during the game. (This can be modified by cards or abilities.) Pre-Match stages are Venue, Feud, Stipulation, Manager, then everything else. Hand draw happens after Pre-Match cards are played, but before they are resolved.

Virtual Classic - Any card, either printed by Comic Images or created by the RDPC, without the Revolution logo. You may pack 12 Pre-Match cards and 12 Mid-Match cards in your Backlash deck, and you have 6 slots to play each type during the game. (This can be modified by cards or abilities.) The additional capacity is due to the introduction of an additional Pre-Match card type, the Allegiance, which is played before the Venue.

Revolution - Any card printed by Comic Images with the Revolution logo.
Virtual Revolution - Any card, either printed by Comic Images or created by the RDPC, with the Revolution logo. For both of these formats, you may pack 6 Pre-Match and 6 Mid-Match cards, and have 3 play slots available. For both of these formats, hand draw happens before any Pre-Match cards are played.

All-Axxess - Any card printed by Comic Images. Build/pack/play rules are the same as Classic.
Virtual All-Axxess - Any card, either printed by Comic Images or created by the RDPC. Build/pack/play rules are the same as Virtual Classic.

NXT - This is a modified version of Virtual Classic. There is a specific card, the "NXT Rules" card, that includes a Banned List of cards that may not be packed, a list of cards that have Errata specifically for the format (these errata cards are all available on this site, and all say "NXT Format" on them; they are only to be used in that format), and a list of Backstage cards that may be packed; all other Backstage cards that are not Superstar-specific are banned. For this format, you may pack 8 Pre-Match and 8 Mid-Match cards, and have 4 play slots available for each.

Tornado tag (unofficial format) - http://teamcanadaonline.net///index.php/topic,2168.0.html - This one I can't summarize neatly enough, so I'm just pasting the link to the rules document here. The super short version is that it's a Classic format where you pack Superstar-specific cards for two superstars in a single deck; either superstar's cards are legal, and both abilities affect the game at the same time. There are banned lists of superstars, and specific combinations that are not permitted because they're abusive, but the rules explain that.

There is one other format, Afterburn, which is a limited version of Classic that only permits a subset of Comic Images-printed Classic cards, but to the best of my knowledge, that isn't played anymore, and I don't know the list of banned cards off the top of my head, so I wouldn't want to mislead you on that.

There's also Tag Team, but the rules are a mess and it requires 4 players in teams of two, building decks in concert. I don't recommend it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 09:55:50 AM by dilbert505 »
Universally Recognized as a Mature and Responsible Adult.

Playing on Lackey? I'm on US Eastern Time; you can check what time it is for me here.

Offline Ubilupus

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 08:24:59 AM »
Excellent! Thank you very much!

Is NXT used a lot? It seems like a headache to construct with all the restrictions.

Online CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +492/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 08:29:03 AM »
It shouldn't be.  There's a card that lays out the rules, basically 'no Revolution', these cards aren't allowed (the major offenders/NPE types like IAATG), and these cards have errata.  Each list is under a dozen cards, though.

When playing in Virtual, there's a series of Backstage "Shenanigans" cards that reframe the environment.  Something like It's All About the Game isn't banned, but it is blanked, so it's really not used any more.  NXT just captures all of that and makes things a bit more straightforward and streamlined.

EDIT:  Here's a link to the images used for the NXT Format on my Flickr page, that should make it a little clearer.

CREED
V9: NXT Takeover ("A" Section) - Coming Dec. 25

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline Keith0913832

• TCO Donor
  • +14/-3
  • Onward with the <R>evolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 09:28:52 AM »
In brief: (6 of these are simple, two are less so)

Classic - Any card printed by Comic Images without the Revolution logo. You may pack 10 Pre-Match cards and 10 Mid-Match cards in your Backlash deck, and you have 5 slots to play each type during the game. (This can be modified by cards or abilities.) Pre-Match stages are Venue, Feud, Stipulation, Manager, then everything else. Hand draw happens after Pre-Match cards are played, but before they are resolved.

Virtual Classic - Any card, either printed by Comic Images or created by the RDPC, without the Revolution logo. You may pack 12 Pre-Match cards and 12 Mid-Match cards in your Backlash deck, and you have 6 slots to play each type during the game. (This can be modified by cards or abilities.) The additional capacity is due to the introduction of an additional Pre-Match card type, the Allegiance, which is played before the Venue.

Revolution - Any card printed by Comic Images with the Revolution logo.
Virtual Revolution - Any card, either printed by Comic Images or created by the RDPC, with the Revolution logo. For both of these formats, you may pack 6 Pre-Match and 6 Mid-Match cards, and have 3 play slots available. For both of these formats, hand draw happens before any Pre-Match cards are played.

All-Axxess - Any card printed by Comic Images. Build/pack/play rules are the same as Classic.
Virtual All-Axxess - Any card, either printed by Comic Images or created by the RDPC. Build/pack/play rules are the same as Virtual Classic.

NXT - This is a modified version of Virtual Classic. There is a specific card, the "NXT Rules" card, that includes a Banned List of cards that may not be packed, a list of cards that have Errata specifically for the format (these errata cards are all available on this site, and all say "NXT Format" on them; they are only to be used in that format), and a list of Backstage cards that may be packed; all other Backstage cards that are not Superstar-specific are banned. For this format, you may pack 8 Pre-Match and 8 Mid-Match cards, and have 4 play slots available for each.

Tornado tag (unofficial format) - http://teamcanadaonline.net///index.php/topic,2168.0.html - This one I can't summarize neatly enough, so I'm just pasting the link to the rules document here. The super short version is that it's a Classic format where you pack Superstar-specific cards for two superstars in a single deck; either superstar's cards are legal, and both abilities affect the game at the same time. There are banned lists of superstars, and specific combinations that are not permitted because they're abusive, but the rules explain that.

There is one other format, Afterburn, which is a limited version of Classic that only permits a subset of Comic Images-printed Classic cards, but to the best of my knowledge, that isn't played anymore, and I don't know the list of banned cards off the top of my head, so I wouldn't want to mislead you on that.

There's also Tag Team, but the rules are a mess and it requires 4 players in teams of two, building decks in concert. I don't recommend it.

Dilbert, this is really well written. Would you mind if I posted this on the RawDealSG facebook page as a screenshot? It gives players a good overview of the available formats for them to choose from. Virtual seems like the most difficult to explain because most players (including myself), thought that virtual really just meant cards that are digital, instead of something that can be printed.

Offline dilbert505

• +49/-42
  • The Prince of Insufficient Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 09:57:18 AM »
Dilbert, this is really well written. Would you mind if I posted this on the RawDealSG facebook page as a screenshot? It gives players a good overview of the available formats for them to choose from. Virtual seems like the most difficult to explain because most players (including myself), thought that virtual really just meant cards that are digital, instead of something that can be printed.

Feel free! I've edited the post to highlight the names of the formats; when I got back to look at it again, I realized it would be helpful to have the names pop out a bit.

Excellent! Thank you very much!

Is NXT used a lot? It seems like a headache to construct with all the restrictions.

NXT isn't played to the same extent as Virtual Classic or Virtual Revolution (the two most popular formats, by a lot), but IMO, it should be. NXT is my favorite format, hands down, because the limitations on Pre-match let you get playing much faster, and the banned list really just reflects the unofficial banned list on the Shenanigans cards. (plus a very select few cards that are abusive in a limited pre-match format, like San Diego, California.) It plays like a faster version of Virtual Classic, and is pretty well balanced, on the whole. I just wish it got more play in my local area.

Virtual Classic is the predominant format, though, and since it's close enough to NXT format, I don't mind so much.  :D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 10:01:15 AM by dilbert505 »
Universally Recognized as a Mature and Responsible Adult.

Playing on Lackey? I'm on US Eastern Time; you can check what time it is for me here.