Author Topic: Does Revo Matt Hardy need to be relooked at?  (Read 300 times)

Offline Keith0913832

• TCO Donor
  • +13/-3
  • Onward with the <R>evolution!
    • View Profile
Does Revo Matt Hardy need to be relooked at?
« on: July 31, 2018, 06:56:28 AM »
Before I continue, just want to say that I respect the creators and playtesters of the game for everything, and that to me this is just 1 bad egg in the entire basket.

I am just sharing what I think about <R> Matt Hardy, and see if there is any chance for improvement in the next review in 2019.

<R> Matt Hardy
Superstar Ability:
Once during each of your turns, you may overturn 3 cards (when you have have fewer cards in hand, 2 cards): draw 1 card.
When packing non-Revolution cards: you can pack Matt Facts.

Having played <R> Matt Hardy and see other players play it locally, as well as feedback from other players internationally, we seem to conclude that the said superstar does not possess the ability and cards required to be on par with other well balanced superstars.

Looking at the ability to overturn 3 (or 2) to draw 1 seems ok if it’s a standalone.
It is optional, so players can choose not to use it at all, but that kind of defeats the purpose as well.

Compared to Terry Funk, Elijah Burke, John Cena, Brock Lesnar, Chris Jericho, Sheamus and The Wyatt Family who can draw under conditions that do not hurt them, Matt’s ability seems like a drawback rather than a bonus to use.
Although there are many recovery cards (both Antics and Maneuvers) out there, it seems unfair that Matt has to do extra work and pay extra cost just to draw 1 card, when anyone with Climbing The Ladder, Ring Psychology Throw or McMahon Family Jewels can add cards to their hand on a regular basis (of cause with a cost), without getting hurt. Using his ability will give a -4 (or -3) from his arsenal, and that is contingent on the fact that the drawn card is of use to Matt.

<R> Version 1.0
Pre-match: Event
Your Superstar Value is +1 and your Pre-match Capacity is +1.
When you are Revolution Matt Hardy: you are an Extremist and when you play an Extreme: Follow-up, you may discard 2 cards and ignore the Follow-up, and when it is successfully played, shuffle 1 non-reversal card in your Ringside into your Arsenal.

Just my assumption, but his ability should be used to activate Version 1.0, allowing him to ignore follow-up for his ability.
Once again as a standalone, it doesn’t seem too bad because follow-ups usually cannot be played since the 1 st card is usually reversed. With this pre-match, he can skip pass that requirement.
Unlike other Follow-ups, Extreme Follow-ups actually get less reversals because the usual extreme reversal to pack, That’s Extremely Un-original, does not reverse Follow-up. That’s 1 less Extreme reversal to worry about.

That said, what costs Matt Hardy to get the effect is something other superstars get it for free or at lesser cost.
I am referring to Jeff Hardy who can totally ignore Follow-ups, or Kofi Kingston who can discard 1 to ignore Follow-up as well. Hardy Boyz get to continue their turn if required, while Jack Swagger can search for Follow-up but put it at the bottom of arsenal with his Pre-match if he can’t play it.
Setting Him Up, a non-superstar specific Pre-match, has the same effect although its unique and can only be played once.
Once again, Matt Hardy seems to fall short in this ‘advantage’ that he has.

<R> Incredible High Flyers
Pre-match: Faction
You can pack this card regardless of Superstar. Your Extreme: Follow-up: Maneuver cards are now Follow-up: Card instead, and when your antic with 'high flyer' in the text is unsuccessful, overturn 3 less cards for not playing a maneuver.
When your logo is on this card: your Pre-match Capacity is +1, you are considered an Extremist for your non-reversal card effects, and your Superstar-specific antics are considered to have 'high flyer' in the text.

Incredible High Flyers itself is an excellent card, changing Extreme: Follow-up: Maneuvers to Extreme: Follow-up: Card instead.
This lightens Matt Hardy’s load from using the Pre-match’s discard 2 effect, but he will still have to get his 1 st card to be successful.
The overturn 3 less is also beneficial, but that is an exchange that is just slightly more worthwhile. With his ability, his arsenal will be -4 or -3 and he has to discard 2 cards just to play a follow-up. That Follow-up can also be reversed as per normal. So essentially its costing 3 to 4 arsenal cards, 2 cards from hand, to play something that can be reversed as per normal.

Matt does have a strong reason to play Judgement Day, but that is usually reserved for superstars that do have storyline. Going a green wave after dropping that Talk is Cheap could be a good direction for the deck, but then again if any superstar can use the same tactic, it doesn't really make Matt very special too.

All in all, I am hoping that this gives the creators a reason to have a second look at this superstar again so that it is at least on par with the rest of the roster. Maybe, some superstars are just meant to be... BROKEN....

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +492/-369
    • View Profile
Re: Does Revo Matt Hardy need to be relooked at?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 07:39:12 AM »
All valid points.  We might have to throw <R>Matt into the Lake of Reincarnation.

CREED
VHS 3: Payback - Out Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline Keith0913832

• TCO Donor
  • +13/-3
  • Onward with the <R>evolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 08:03:11 AM »
Glad to hear that!

Or should i say....

WOONNNNDAAAAFUUUUUL LLL!

Offline Shelan

• +3/-4
  • And That's the Bottom Line...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 06:21:48 PM »
Good one there Keith! Jury have spoken! Witness the birth of ‘BROKEN’ Matt! ;)
"Imagine speaking with your oldest, wisest, most optimal future self. What you're doing is tapping deep into your subconscious. Let your choices be guided by the person you hope to become." — Brianna Wiest

Discord: Shelan