Author Topic: Rock and Sock FunkCON decklist/report  (Read 276 times)

Offline SkuffD

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
Rock and Sock FunkCON decklist/report
« on: July 03, 2018, 04:41:28 PM »
Since I've seen some of the decklists from FunkCon popping up this past week and I had some free time tonight, I figured I would pull my cards together and put my deck out there too. To put this in to perspective a little, I ran what cards I have and what print outs I remembered to bring/print out before hand. The decklist is far from perfect and was missing several excellent pieces that I subbed out for. But you know what, it did the job well enough.
-Superstar:
Rock and Sock Connection
-Backstage:
The Official Matching Jackets
Defeating Villainous Shenanigans
Enough Shenanigans
Celebrity Shenanigans
-Pre-Match:
McMahonism
I'm Gonna BASH Your Brains In!
Handicap Match
Managed by Vince McMahon (TB)
You Will be the People's Partner
This is Your Life
I'll Taunt You...Then I'll BASH You!
Wrestlemania
World Wrestling Federation Tag Team Title Belts
Premiere WWF Superstar
2x It's Time for a Great American BASH
-Mid-Match:
Mr. Rocko
Special Guest Referee
Restricted Use in this Area (TB)
The Road to Victory
You're as Graceful as a Cow on Ice
Sustained Damage
Classic Teamwork
Shoot Counter
Don't Mess with the Champ!
3x Don't Cross a McMahon
-Actions
2x Finally...The Rock Has Come Back To...
Mr. Socko (TB)
McMahon Intervention
-Manuevers
3x Patented Rock Footstomp
3x Shoot Forearm
3x BASH Suplex
2x German Suplex
2x BASH Headlock
2x Claw
Shoot Lock-up
Connection Teamwork
The People's Elbow (TB)
Old School Piledriver
What a Maneuver! (TB)
Mandible Claw (TB)
Stump-Puller Piledriver
-Reversals:
3x A Revolution of the Mind
3x Leg Drag (TB)
3x Elbow to the Face
3x This is the Rock's Show
2x Hold the Phone!
2x Don't Try this at Home
2x The Return BASH for Scotty's W-O-R-M
2x Sidewalk Slam
Get the F Out!
Get the F Out! (TB)
Escape the Rules
Me Llamo...Armando Alejandro Estrrrrrada
BASH Evader
Don't Be a Doucebag
Carlito Says, "That's Not Cool!"
You Won't BASH Me!
Total Teamwork
Out of Nowhere
Divine Intervention
Stealing the Rock's Catchphrases
Have a Nice Day! (TB)
Rock Bottom (TB)

Here are some of the things I wanted for the deck but didn't printed and/or forgot:
-It Doesn't Matter What You're Name is! (TB): It's a Rock and Sock card reversal from one of the newer sets I forgot was made.
-Layin' the Smacketh Down: I still need a copy of this and didn't proxy it, but it's an important tool when needing to pull one of those Footstomps (especially if they've been getting reversed).
-Vince McMahon, Guest Ringside Announcer (TB): Irun this in maybe 1/3 of my decks depending, but going with the "Corporate Rock and Sock" theme it's touching. Plus a nice deterrat to actions. Especially once one may get reversed. OR use make them burn 2 for a unique action then use Taunt/BASH and they burn another 6. Oh, and it let's me get What a Maneuver!?
-Blatant Chockehold: With all the TMF's it's nice to have.
-The Finisher/Dynamic Finisher: Honestly it's hard not to justify more TF's in this deck.
-2x Body Block: Only for the purposes of Special Guest Referee, which I included in this deck, but then forgot to include the card I put it in for. Well, that's ok.

For those who have heard it before, I'll reitrate how much FUN FunkCon was. I really hope they have a year two and myself and I'm sure most who attended would encourage everyone to come and make it even bigger next year. Lawnmowerman did a heck of job putting it togehter and as an experience I had a blast. I got to meet one of my classic faves, "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan. I've got a 2x4 signed by him now and between that and managing to pull of a decent run at the event, I was really thrilled with the day. Again, GIANT kudos. A very nice Gencon substitute (and way easier on the pocket).
So I started playing with this deck maybe last October and have evolved it through some events and building up my Footstomp cardpool. Here are some of the important points of the deck and/or my choices:
1. It's ALL about the Jackets. Having TMF's in abundance is nice, but using them to cycle and scrye draw with McMahonsim is nice. Using the Jackets additional text upping mthe Superstar ability is just as important. There are some great combos/syngery with the Jackets and the TMF's. If you can't use the  Jacket on your turn you feel a little said. After all, they were custom made!
2. The impotance of the Footstomps is obvious. Having 2 in your opening hand is just as impotant since 9 out of 10 times they get reversed.
3. I went with BASH because...well it's easy to build with the card pool I have. The local guys have helped me build my cardpool up some, but I have BASH in abundance, so that's what I went with.
4. I didn't have all the Shenanigans or Backstage stuff printed out so I played with what I had. I think after game 2 I got a Tenth Anniversary, so next time I can add that.
Game 1: Vs. Arn Anderson
This was a good game. During the Pre-Match he had us both shuffle in our hands and redraw, which I think helped me and hurt him. I was lucky enough to get all 3 of my Footstomps to stick in this game and while there was some good back and forth I pulled out ahead and gave the People what they wanted with a People's Elbow at the end.
Game 2 Vs. Rhyno
I threw Premiere WWF Superstar in my Backlash knowing I would probably never get a chance to use it unless I played someone who was running light Backstage such as myself. This was the only match that met that criteria and I don't know if I remember that right, but I think he got Doucebag on the overturn with that. I was able to blank his stipulation and pulled out ahad early with footstomps and suplexes. The game ended up being one sided quickly, which is never really fun. But that happens in this game. On the plus side it gave me some extra time to chat, eat and meet Hacksaw.
Game 3 Vs. Two Man Power Trip
It was the tag match that fans would have loved to have seen! There was some good back and forth action throughout the match, with clutch reversals and recovery on both sides. I was using my Jackets to get back crucial stuff, staving off the beating and keeping it close. I believe the turn around in this game was comboing McMahon/Divine Intervention for a ridiculous hand/deck filter which put me ahead in the reversal/counter department. Not sure what the final move was that ended the match exactly.
Game 4 Vs. New Nexus
Between my ability and using the Matching Jackets/Footstomps I kept my hand nicely supplied throughout the game. In addition, I think my ability coupled with his self-mill ability worked to my advantage and and when he stopped burning for the discard I felt like I had a pretty good chance. I think the clutch reversal in this game was a Classic Teamwork. This was also one of several games where I was jealous of players having 5th/10th anniversaries at thier disposal. Some good back and forth in this game.
Game 5 Vs. Batista
Another great game. This was one game I would have really enjoyed the Vince McMahon Guest Ringside Announcer since he played an action every turn. My reversals couldn't do any damage to him but my ability was keeping me alive, my jackets were keeping me well stocked and the reversals I was getting out were building up fortitude. Not knowing the cardpool here hurt me since I reversed his midmatch spinebuster and had to eat it on the reversal. Sustained damage was clutch here for awhile and I felt like we were finally on even ground late game. His fortitude was high, but I had answers for everything and responses to hep seal it. Except, I didn't have an answer to The Destroyer activation, which wiped my hand. I tried using Wrestlemania to stay in it but he had the Crucifix roll-up so that was the end of it.
Game 6 Vs. Devil's Favorite Demon
Right out the gate DFD comes swinging, landing some heavy blows. My opening hand was thin on reversals so I had to eat some damage up front. His ability to keep tossing the same move was going to hurt, but thankfully with the ebbs of momentum and the right reversals showing up I was able to mount a comeback. I think we were at the pinnacle of the match where finsihers fly everywhere and he was coming out ahead. I had to use Wrestlemania (successfully this time) which put us on semi-even terms. It's funny how despite starting with 0 cards in hand both players can build a hand back-up, but we managed to do so. The video for this match is on a podcast somewhere, so if you know where to find it, feel free to share. I can't recall if I managed a Don't Mess with the Champ in this game, but I ws able to end it with one of the finishers, finally putting the DFD to rest.
The con was coming to a close and I had run out of time for the day due to family obligations, so I had to head out. Ended up splitting the championship with riotthebeast. Someday we may resolve to see who the undisputed champion is, but I'm happy enough with the arrangement for now. The event was a great highlight in my weekend and as has been said before, it was a blast and pleasure meeting and playing everyone. While some may consider FunkCon as the new up and coming Intercontinetal title event if you will, I'd go on a limb to channel The Miz and say it has the makings of being the most prestigious, important RAW Deal events of all-time. The folks involved have certainly helped in building a great event for the players, by the players and I hope things can continue.

Offline riothebeast

• +3/-9
    • View Profile
Re: Rock and Sock FunkCON decklist/report
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 08:25:27 AM »
Danny you are the prime example of how every raw deal player should project themselves to the community. You are a great guy and glad you did so amazing at the event. But you make that challenge on me all gloves are off and the spinebusters will not be held back :)

Offline darkdestiny91

• +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 10:00:37 AM »
Just curious, why pack Premiere WWF superstar?

Isn't it blanked by Enough Shenanigans?

Offline SkuffD

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 10:09:47 AM »

Yes, it's 99% worthless and I normally would pack the Guest Ringside Announcer in place of it, but I didn't print a proxy of it, and was short on cards to choose from before heading from the house (my pool of Raw Deal cards is extremely limited). On short notice I wasn't sure if anyone would have a better pre-match option, which just about anything is with the Shenanigans cards. And the one game I did play it I believe Doucebag was overturned on it and stopped it. Just a good example of how this deck still can be improved.

Offline darkdestiny91

• +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 10:17:09 AM »

Yes, it's 99% worthless and I normally would pack the Guest Ringside Announcer in place of it, but I didn't print a proxy of it, and was short on cards to choose from before heading from the house (my pool of Raw Deal cards is extremely limited). On short notice I wasn't sure if anyone would have a better pre-match option, which just about anything is with the Shenanigans cards. And the one game I did play it I believe Doucebag was overturned on it and stopped it. Just a good example of how this deck still can be improved.

No, the reason why the Shenanigans blanked it was because of the wording on Premiere WWF Superstar, it forces opponents to put a certain amount of cards from the top of the deck into the ringside which bypasses overturned reversals so Douchebag/Carlito/etc doesn't hit it. And besides, your own Enough Shenanigans would have blanked it either way so it shouldn't have done anything at all.