Author Topic: "Successfully play"  (Read 193 times)

Offline The P6 Peep

• TCO Donor
  • +21/-39
  • "P6!"
    • View Profile
"Successfully play"
« on: June 30, 2018, 06:00:41 PM »
I am sure this has been covered many times before, but I couldn't find a specific ruling, so...

The rulebook defines "successfully played" as : "Successful: a card is successful if it is not reversed from the hand or Backlash deck.  Successful cards go in the Ring and their Damage Value add to your Fortitude Rating."

The question is regarding Actions that say "As an action, shuffle this card into arsenal, or discard this card, or remove this card from the game...etc..."... and if those actions are not reversed, they are successful and you do what the card effect says, but those actions do not end up in the ring... So do they still count as being "successfully played"?

- The P6 Peep

"Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!"

Offline dilbert505

• +49/-42
  • The Prince of Insufficient Light
    • View Profile
Re: "Successfully play"
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 06:13:01 PM »
Yes. The rulebook, as written, explains the most common scenario, but does not cover all contingencies. Exceptions to a rule do not unmake the rule; they provide exceptions.

The timing breakdown clarifies this.

Quote from: Timing Breakdown
6a) Some cards are put into the Ringside Pile or other area instead of going to the Ring Area (Iron Will etc.) The Timing Breakdown still continues as normal, these cards never enter the Ring Area.  They will resolve during the text resolution ( Step 8 ) at that time, and will still resolve to its destination even if blanked.
Universally Recognized as a Mature and Responsible Adult.

Playing on Lackey? I'm on US Eastern Time; you can check what time it is for me here.

Offline The P6 Peep

• TCO Donor
  • +21/-39
  • "P6!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 06:35:24 PM »
thank you Dilbert

so card effects and superstar abilities that "trigger" when that type of action is successfully played, will still activate... that's what I needed to show the league players.. thanks

- The P6 Peep

Offline Daeva

• Virtual Contributor, Level 4 Judge, Hope Ender
  • Administrator
  • +316/-214
  • On Balance, Off Balance, Doesn't Matter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 06:38:35 PM »
Also note that reversing a card from any non-Arsenal zone makes it unsuccessful. Hand and Backlash are the most common, but not the only ways to do so. The rulebook is speaking to the most common happenstances there.
Nate Weiss, Rules Manager & Dream Killer
"You're no fun." -Creed
Timing question? Look here.
Evidence is everything in a court of law. Evidence is also everything in the Rules Forum.

Offline The P6 Peep

• TCO Donor
  • +21/-39
  • "P6!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 07:06:02 PM »
Yes absolutely noted... Thank you Daeva! ;D

- The P6 Peep