Author Topic: History of game changing cards  (Read 781 times)

Offline fadeaway

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
History of game changing cards
« on: June 28, 2018, 07:58:26 PM »
While lurking around the forum, I realized most of my posts are about rules.
It’s time for a little change... so, just some background of myself
Started raw deal when I was in primary 5 in Singapore (11 years old.. oh my), fully loaded expansion back in 2001. Some breaks in the game here and there. Played all the way till v7 (little bit of v8/VHS2) and thanks to real life I had to cut back on playing. Still have 40 odd physical decks sitting around (Thanks to the tb/proxies, no i don’t have 40 OG restricted use... most of the $ was spent on card sleeves! )

Anyways, basically there has been some cards that came came out during each era that were groundbreaking and influenced it’s own era of game tech, and here is my list over the last 17 odd years. This post is Just for a little nolstalgia, a little reflection of the game’s history, hopefully relatable to you so enjoy and do feel free to add ;). I’ll do 5 sets a post.

*some groundbreaking cards refer to the impact made at that period of time. Some cards were later “nerfed”, while some continued to impact play up to today.

Also I’ll grade the cards in brackets below:
level 1 (noticeable card)
Level 2 (something players took advantage of/ had to look out for)
Level 3 (disrupted / huge impact on the game)

Premiere:
As the first set, there is no legacy to change but elbow to the face actually survived almost 18 years (still counting lol). One of the best defenses early game and players will always try to get rid/avoid this smack in the face (3)

Manager interferes - another one that survived all the generations. A must pack for every heel deck (2)

Fully loaded:
Turn the tide: down 30 f? No problem. With no beating the odds/sidewalk slam tb etc, the game could completely flip with ttt + tmf. Brought back to life in v4 with mean gene , and then back into the old shoebox with the revision lol (2)

JBI: back then, action reversals were pretty limited. Also made players think twice before playing that second action. Ego boost + Commissioner rules? Just bring it. (2)

Backlash:
Backlash: Personally I think this card changed the pace and to some degree the level of aggression in the field forever. Players would always think twice before hitting that unprotected, non high risk second move when they are up, fearing that big slap. Also, it’s a 0f backlash reversal... I would say it is pretty reliable lol (3)

Old school wrestling match: admit it, To a small degree this made the order of playing your pre match a little more conscious one ;) (2)

Clutch onto opponent + apply illegal leverage: ahh, one of the earliest combos in the game. Face it, you ever considered packing clean break just to see the look of your opponent’s face if u actually reversed the move. Also i believe cards were created later on to slightly break this combination (2)

Fans love an underdog : * cough cough * Eddie Guerrero . This card actually got banned for a while. What more can I say? (2)

IAATG:
Nothing really

Mania:
Mania: play this card you win the game via count out?? At that time it was a pretty cool card to use. Till today, it’s still a plan B to skirt the wrestlemanias and stall decks (1)

Fortitude surge:
Back in the day fortitudes plunging was an effective way to beat down an opponent, with cards like get crowd support, bait opponent, even throw into the corner turnbuckles. My personal guess is this card was made to directly counter fans love an underdog. And it still saved you from getting beat turn 1 (2)

Pump kick: With taunt the fans, My personal favorite pretty safe way to get 4F. (1)

It’s showtime: gave lower sv stars to get turn 1 (1)

——
That’s all for the first post ! Hope you enjoyed :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 08:04:03 PM by fadeaway »

Offline VelaCards

• TCO Donor
  • +159/-127
  • #WWERAWDEAL #Supershow
    • View Profile
    • VelaCards Official Web Site
Re: History of game changing cards
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 02:16:52 PM »
Great read! Thanks for posting. =)

VC
- For all your Supershow & RAW Deal needs!
- Team NBD
- Follow us on Twitter @VelaCards (Damn you D2!)

Offline maskedllama

• +63/-61
  • Innovator of the 360 Reverse Diving Hoof Tackle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 05:33:33 PM »
i never really thought about the history of game changing cards.  That was a very fun read!!
LLucha LLamadore by Ceika

Offline The Hurricane

• The Holy Spirit of TCO
  • +103/-103
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 07:32:37 PM »
Actually I would argue that Calling You Out coming out in the IAATG tin actually was a big development, because when you combined that with Old School Wrestling Match, you had some major disruption. Especially back in the days of the smaller Backlash deck.
The Hurricane
Yes I'm still here!

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +492/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 07:36:47 PM »
And then the US Title?  Yeah, really helped render a big portion of the game ineffectual, unfortunately, moreso once the OSWM/CYO/US player shut down his opponent's slots, then dropped Champ is Here to gain back his own.

CREED
VHS 3: Payback - Out Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline Hogtrail

• +15/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 07:37:48 PM »

Beating the Odds was on the must pack short list.
Cow on Ice, revo if the mind, and DTTAH in the later sets.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 09:15:32 PM by Hogtrail »
Please Like The Film Slobs on Facebook and Twitter!

Offline Keith0913832

• TCO Donor
  • +13/-3
  • Onward with the <R>evolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 09:37:53 PM »
although I only started in Inx, I think Dirty Low Blow was a MUST PACK back in the day too

Offline Hogtrail

• +15/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 10:06:00 PM »
DLB, clutch, apply...

Three words all old school raw dealers knew by heart

Offline fadeaway

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 10:16:29 PM »
Wow, real cool to see this discussion :D

Thanks VC  and Maskedllama

@CreedP totally agreed on those cards but i was going by editions (Premiere to Mania, Summerslam to ARUS... all the way to VSH3)

haha everyone jump the gunned with great mentions.. definitely revo of the mind etc are great cards.

@Hurricane I'm calling you out for that great mention! (well it did get blanked with shenanigans later exactly because of it's disruption)

@keith yeah, it kinda got lost along the way later on with road to victory etc. and other must packs, but back in that era it was indeed a must pack

.. i also realized i missed out on:

Fully loaded:
Jr Style slobbernocker: To me this was one of the most underrated tech cards in the game. It balanced and slowed the game in such a unique way, where you couldnt see diversions and no mercys and fortitude plunging actions when you were up. You could also abuse it with stall/recovery decks. If my memory serves me correctly, this was one of the key cards in one of the earliest world championships (ran by the rock.. who also won it overall).

Backlash:
Over sell maneuver: another card people kind of forgot after the birth of Revolution of the mind. but back then (and today with legendary defense) it was one of those stops to getting beat up too quickly (2)

Mania:
Hell in a cell, which i think deserves a "level 3" kind of recognition for how it destroyed recovery, made some playing styles formidable and also kinda screwed your opponents over in certain match ups. (3)

.. do feel free to add the comments! in fact, it will be really great to hear inputs for the next 5 sets before my next post!! (@hogtrail great mentions man)

Offline Daeva

• Virtual Contributor, Level 4 Judge, Hope Ender
  • Administrator
  • +316/-214
  • On Balance, Off Balance, Doesn't Matter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2018, 10:07:36 AM »
J.R. Style Clubberin' needs to be mentioned. It's one of the key reasons why Don't Try This at Home exists, and I saw many an SS2-era game devolve into "Clubber in two reversals, throw move that gets reversed on overturn, repeat for other player" for ten to fifteen minutes at a go.

As far as later sets, no list of game-changing cards is complete without It's All About the Game or Armageddon Is Upon Us (which deserves inclusion because so many people can pack it).
Nate Weiss, Rules Manager & Dream Killer
"You're no fun." -Creed
Timing question? Look here.
Evidence is everything in a court of law. Evidence is also everything in the Rules Forum.

Offline Shelan

• +3/-4
  • And That's the Bottom Line...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2018, 12:31:13 PM »
1) My Sacrifice that gave us wings.

2) I'm Gonna Break You that destroyed many lives.
"Imagine speaking with your oldest, wisest, most optimal future self. What you're doing is tapping deep into your subconscious. Let your choices be guided by the person you hope to become." — Brianna Wiest

Discord: Shelan

Offline niiiiick

• +16/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2018, 01:25:30 PM »
Road to Victory?

Still my favorite classic champion card, and maybe the most impactful...Frankie could be up there too

Offline Hogtrail

• +15/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 10:14:37 PM »
Oversell maneuver was an absolute staple because of clutch/apply

Offline fadeaway

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2018, 09:25:30 AM »
Thanks for all the inputs!

5. Mania (added)
Iron will- one of the few counters to the infamous clutch apply combo, coupled with the fact the it allows recovery of any 2 cards without losing hand count, and is re-usable, almost every deck ran his multiple copies of this card (2)

Sustained damage- Regardless of the match, that few sustained damage could make a difference between being pinned or making a comeback. This card has also sustained its spot in many backlash decks for over 16 years . However , it was not ground breaking at that time , but More of an added defense, in my opinion (2)

6. Summer-slam
Jr style clubbering- as Daeva mentioned, before Dttah was this unstoppable recovery with nerve holds, rakes, backslides etc saw decks turn into the early version crippler (2)

Simply the best- one of the few ways to rid of ur style snobberknoxer to play your key game ending actions, this card can be devastating when used timely (2)

Enter the stratusphere- a long forgotten cArd that dawn a lot of play back in the day. Without dttah, and fewer defenses against actions, this allowed many stall decks a reliable weapon to slowly mill an opponent to his doom (2)

Atomic back body drop - one of the early hard to reverse maneuvers. With business is about to pick up, it was not hard to find the much needed Irish whip (1)

7. Ruthless aggression

8. Velocity
My sacrifice - during a time where you only hadn’t 4 pre match Slots, as shelan mentioned that extra slot might be the extra edge needed to gain the upper hand, especially used by higher ssv because of the drawback (2)

Get the f out: multi cards and unique maneuvers were mostly made up of ss specifics Andrew were not as prevalent as today’s game. But based on the increased relevancy over the generations  , I would rate it a pretty solid reversal at 4f and great against key cards (3)

Hold the phone -reverses a whole bunch of stuff and made hybrid tmfs a lot easier to defend against at a low fortitude cost and also packable by face decks (contrast to Manager interferes) (2)

Shoot headlock- velocity saw the introduction of shoots to the game. Unreversable by oversell and break the hold, and being able to re attempt by dropping 2, this became one of the key backup ways of initial fortitude building. Personally I have seen some creative use of this card in the later parts of the game (rules were meant, x2 with destiny) (1)

Diving takedown- long before the days of vickie, those who played in 2002 will know the pain of diving takedowns, along with premiere smack, roll out of the ring, the end is near (and later laying the smacketh down), the draw 2 and discard 1 loop never seemed to end until 1 player hadn’t no cards and the other had like 10. Oh cow on ice... where the hell were you!

9. Issurextion
The end is near: in the era of strong actions, no volley this, cage match, shoot counter, or unscrupulous Sob, like it’s name, this is often used to pick up the few key cards (tmf, key action, targeted reversals) (2)

Beating the odds: as mentioned by hogtrail, your chance to deter any reversal restriction cards. (1)

Man of 1000 holds- never seen this used to win a tourney at that time due to the high pre match slots needed, but combined with the 3 psychologies (especially arm) , this was a pretty solid lockdown card for certain decks *hint* BFM. Ran by 2005 champ Frankie in a local tourney. As the Game progressed it became prone to abuse so it was nerfed in 2017 (1)

Till next time.. feel free to keep ideas/inputs coming!

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +492/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2018, 09:32:54 AM »
I don't recall which set they released in, but PRS and moreso PSDS warrant inclusion here. :)

CREED
VHS 3: Payback - Out Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline Daeva

• Virtual Contributor, Level 4 Judge, Hope Ender
  • Administrator
  • +316/-214
  • On Balance, Off Balance, Doesn't Matter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2018, 02:07:45 PM »
Premiere Raw Superstar and Premiere Smackdown Superstar were both in Insurrextion.

Also, Beating the Odds was not in Insurrextion, it was in Summerslam.
Nate Weiss, Rules Manager & Dream Killer
"You're no fun." -Creed
Timing question? Look here.
Evidence is everything in a court of law. Evidence is also everything in the Rules Forum.

Offline SkuffD

• +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2018, 07:28:26 PM »
Just came across this thread and since I don't chime in too often, I figured I would this time. While I fell out of the game for quite some time right after Summerslam, I will vouch for the following cards from the "early days" based on the local meta I played with.
1. Spot on with Elbow to the Face and Manager Interferes
2. Turn the Tide was the first in a small list of reasons to play Face. Very Important.
3. Backlash not only changed the pace, it literally rendered several superstars ineffective. Chris Benoit and Tazz decks were all but dropped by players in my area. Necessary, but the Backlash rules in general were easily the biggest addition the game has ever received.
4. Oversell was amazing. For my Mankind deck it was a must have as well as 2x Dirty Low Blow. Just as useful was Clumsy, Running Lariat (yeah, getting around Elbow was nice), Don't Mess with the Champ and Puppies, Puppies, Puppies.
5. I feel like Puppies should have gotten more of a mention, but maybe it wasn't a game changing card, but it could easily change the shape of a game with one play.
6. Calling you out and Old School Wrestling were indeed impactful with the small Backlash decks. Careful play of events was crucial if you knew the opponent had them packed.
7. Roll out of the Ring was a lot more important in the early game than many people may realize (At least in my area). There is a reason many cards reverse/reference it. Mid game swapping for 2 important clutch play cards or even going the extra mile and driving the opponent through the Announcer Table was big. This made Action reversals or Baseball Slide very nice to have.
8. Just When You Thought You had All the Answers also scores high. Again, when not Heel, TMF reversals were limited. Heck, TMF reversals were limited in general.
9. Neck Breaker. This was 50/50 a meta call card for me almost all the time but was also one of the best early low F for High reward offered in the game. And it got past Elbow to the Face.
10. WWF Heavyweight Title Belt (or ANY Belt offered as early prize support). One of the coolest ways to show-off in the game. The Backlash deck became a necessity, but so many cards were created for the Backlash to play around Title Belts or your opponent having a title belt. It gave me a reason to keep showing up to play, it put scowls on my friends faces when I got to go before their Rock, Brothers of Destruction, Stone Cold etc. And did I mention it was super nice with a few Don't Mess with the Champs? While not needed in every deck, there's no denying the impact Titles have made to the game.

Offline niiiiick

• +16/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2018, 06:00:12 AM »
"7. Roll out of the Ring was a lot more important in the early game than many people may realize "

Eric would agree it's still very important lol

Offline TheRush

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2018, 08:32:54 PM »
Wow. Last I was here, people were just buzzing about carrying on the game despite losing the license. Next thing I knew, I am so far behind, I don't even know how to conceivably catch up!

That being said, as someone who played actively all the way until Divas Overload, then sparingly until Revolution came along, this thread makes me misty-eyed.

As a Chyna player, Chicago-Town Street Fight as a match stipulation was really a game-changer and made her one of the most frustrating characters to play against at the time. It took a ruling that nerfed her superstar ability and multi cards to actually take her down a peg.

Here's hoping I can catch up on lost time!

Offline Eric RD

• +16/-1
  • Backlash Podcast Co-host
    • View Profile
    • Backlash Podcast
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2018, 09:06:10 PM »
"7. Roll out of the Ring was a lot more important in the early game than many people may realize "

Eric would agree it's still very important lol

Staple card! Just as important in the early game as the late game.
Backlash Podcast 27 - Foley is Good   https://youtu.be/iQjD4qyeNC8

Backlash Podcast - a Raw Deal podcast - available every other Tuesday on Apple Podcast, Stitcher and YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/c/EricRDeal
https://www.facebook.com/Backlashpod/