Author Topic: Starting a play group help.  (Read 138 times)

Offline BigFreaknDude

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Starting a play group help.
« on: December 10, 2019, 09:51:51 PM »
So I have been trying to piece together a collection to where I can start a local play group in my are of Texas. I was wondering if anyone has done this wherever you are from. How long did it take you to start your group, and what all should I try to do to get this off the ground. Any advice or tips would be graciously appreciated!!

Online Keith0913832

• TCO Donor
  • +14/-3
  • Onward with the <R>evolution!
    • View Profile
Re: Starting a play group help.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 08:54:32 AM »
Hey! Glad to have yet another player with such great initiative.

To start a group, you'll definitely need the resources. I would suggest that you start with a few decks that they can use to rotate and play around with. Once they are used to the rules, they can switch the decks around, or you can introduce newer cards for them to 'mod' their decks.

Different players will have different learning speeds, so its better to start slow and only move when the majority are comfortable. It is very difficult to do this as a 1 man show, so it would be good if you and another, or a few friends can come together to get some of like a base ready so anyone who is interested can hop on to learn more.

But last but not least, be committed but don't burn out. Once you burn out and stop the momentum from moving forward, all your previous work of trying to push the game would go to waste.

Personally, a few friends and I started the Revolution playgroup. From 4 players, we grew to about 15 to 18 at its peak after about 2 years. I would say more than half of the players didn't have prior knowledge in Revolution so it also takes patience and time to play with them and help them until they are ready to play on their own. Sadly real life interferes and the lack of interest in the game prevented us from moving forward.

Offline BigFreaknDude

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Starting a play group help.
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 12:17:35 PM »
Thank you very much, Keith!

I do agree having said resources is a very key part to help get this thing off of the ground. I have a couple built at the moment, but I will for sure be building more.

I agree everyone has their own speed at how they learn and process things. Taking the time with a group is not an issue for me at all. I do have a couple of other people who are going to help me get this off of the ground in the coming new year, which I am very thankful for.

This is something that I can say will never burn me out. That being said I am all in on getting something going.

I plan on starting with just Classic then moving into Virtual Classic, because it makes for a bigger card pool an it is easier to obtain than looking for some cards nowadays. All in all I really appreciate the advice sir. I hope your group continues to thrive my good sir!