Author Topic: 2018 World Cup  (Read 301 times)

Offline Queensryche

• +6/-1
    • View Profile
2018 World Cup
« on: June 05, 2018, 07:56:22 PM »
The World Cup is quickly approaching, beginning one week from Thursday. It's gonna be a bitter pill to swallow not seeing the US in the World Cup, but then again, The Netherlands and Italy didn't make it either, so at least we weren't the only ones that embarrassed themselves in qualifying.

So considering the US is not in, and given that the majority of users here are American, my question for you is this: who are you supporting? Me, I'm backing England. Yes, I know it's an exercise in futility, but there's five Tottenham Hotspur players on the England squad, and backing England means I back Spurs in a sense. I can also look past the fact that Danny Welbeck, Gary Cahill, and Ruben Loftus-Cheek are on the squad, unlike some folks in England apparently.

If you don't have a team to support but want to back someone, post here and I will draw a random team for you to back in the World Cup.
Ceterum censeo Chelsea delendam esse.

Don't let this signature distract you from the fact that Dele Alli has 29 more PL goals than Jack Wilshere.

"Tottenham are laughing at us!" - Dom, West Ham United fan, after Astra Giurgiu eliminated West Ham United from Europa (Entirely accurate statement).

Offline BigPimpin

• +275/-147
  • Straight Gangsta, Foo'!
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 World Cup
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 07:16:01 AM »
I've got RL friends in England so I'll be rooting for England, but I feel very meh on this WC, and part of that is probably the lack of a US team.
Discord: MightyBP
Time Zone: EST
Available Lackey Hours: late nights (8-9 PM starts), some weekend evenings or morning.

100% reason to remember the name.

I'm the reason the hood need a dental plan.

Offline the-edge666

• +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 08:52:59 AM »
As I'm german I'm supporting the reigning world champion. But after the last european championship I support Iceland, too. Hope they will both make it very far in the tournament and Germany will defend the title.
Beware, take care. Because the freaks come out at night!!!

Offline Queensryche

• +6/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 03:49:58 PM »
As I'm german I'm supporting the reigning world champion. But after the last european championship I support Iceland, too. Hope they will both make it very far in the tournament and Germany will defend the title.

On June 23rd, I'm going to be going to Brauhaus Schmitz on South Street in Philadelphia for their World Cup viewing party for the Germany/Sweden match. I couldn't make the Germany/South Korea match unfortunately, otherwise I'd go to support South Korea and Son Heung-Min.

Don't let this signature distract you from the fact that Dele Alli has 29 more PL goals than Jack Wilshere.

"Tottenham are laughing at us!" - Dom, West Ham United fan, after Astra Giurgiu eliminated West Ham United from Europa (Entirely accurate statement).

Offline Daeva

• Virtual Contributor, Level 4 Judge, Hope Ender
  • Administrator
  • +312/-213
  • On Balance, Off Balance, Doesn't Matter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 04:25:03 PM »
If you don't have a team to support but want to back someone, post here and I will draw a random team for you to back in the World Cup.

Eh, give me a random team. Let's make this interesting.
Nate Weiss, Rules Manager & Dream Killer
"You're no fun." -Creed
Timing question? Look here.
Evidence is everything in a court of law. Evidence is also everything in the Rules Forum.

Offline Queensryche

• +6/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 04:36:26 PM »

Eh, give me a random team. Let's make this interesting.

The random team you will be supporting is............POLAN D.

Chodźcie Bialo-Czerwoni!

Offline Shelan

• +2/-4
  • And That's the Bottom Line...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 06:20:21 PM »
Well, though I'm a die-hard Liverpool fan, I'm also a honest England fan on International terms but this year I’m rooting for Belgium :angel:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 11:32:10 PM by Shelan »
"Imagine speaking with your oldest, wisest, most optimal future self. What you're doing is tapping deep into your subconscious. Let your choices be guided by the person you hope to become." — Brianna Wiest

Discord: Shelan

Offline Queensryche

• +6/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 05:30:10 PM »
So we're almost done the first round of games. Among other things:
-Iceland seems ready to cause some more havoc
-Germany's stumble against Mexico was an upset, but I don't rate it as a monumental upset. It's a good team being a great one.
-Brazil begins with a sputter
-Belgium looked really good against Panama. Unlike Russia, I think they can go somewhere.
-Tony Adams can go f**k himself with a spool of barbed wire