Author Topic: 2018 World Cup  (Read 854 times)

Offline Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
2018 World Cup
« on: June 05, 2018, 07:56:22 PM »
The World Cup is quickly approaching, beginning one week from Thursday. It's gonna be a bitter pill to swallow not seeing the US in the World Cup, but then again, The Netherlands and Italy didn't make it either, so at least we weren't the only ones that embarrassed themselves in qualifying.

So considering the US is not in, and given that the majority of users here are American, my question for you is this: who are you supporting? Me, I'm backing England. Yes, I know it's an exercise in futility, but there's five Tottenham Hotspur players on the England squad, and backing England means I back Spurs in a sense. I can also look past the fact that Danny Welbeck, Gary Cahill, and Ruben Loftus-Cheek are on the squad, unlike some folks in England apparently.

If you don't have a team to support but want to back someone, post here and I will draw a random team for you to back in the World Cup.
Ceterum censeo Chelsea delendam esse.

Don't let this signature distract you from the fact that Dele Alli has 29 more PL goals than Jack Wilshere.

BREAKING NEWS: Arsenal to move to Los Angeles "to be closer to their fanbase" according to Stan Kroenke.

Offline BigPimpin

• +276/-147
  • Straight Gangsta, Foo'!
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 World Cup
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 07:16:01 AM »
I've got RL friends in England so I'll be rooting for England, but I feel very meh on this WC, and part of that is probably the lack of a US team.
Discord: MightyBP
Time Zone: EST
Available Lackey Hours: late nights (8-9 PM starts), some weekend evenings or morning.

100% reason to remember the name.

I'm the reason the hood need a dental plan.

Offline the-edge666

• +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 08:52:59 AM »
As I'm german I'm supporting the reigning world champion. But after the last european championship I support Iceland, too. Hope they will both make it very far in the tournament and Germany will defend the title.
Beware, take care. Because the freaks come out at night!!!

Offline Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 03:49:58 PM »
As I'm german I'm supporting the reigning world champion. But after the last european championship I support Iceland, too. Hope they will both make it very far in the tournament and Germany will defend the title.

On June 23rd, I'm going to be going to Brauhaus Schmitz on South Street in Philadelphia for their World Cup viewing party for the Germany/Sweden match. I couldn't make the Germany/South Korea match unfortunately, otherwise I'd go to support South Korea and Son Heung-Min.

Don't let this signature distract you from the fact that Dele Alli has 29 more PL goals than Jack Wilshere.

BREAKING NEWS: Arsenal to move to Los Angeles "to be closer to their fanbase" according to Stan Kroenke.

Offline Daeva

• Virtual Contributor, Level 4 Judge, Hope Ender
  • Administrator
  • +316/-214
  • On Balance, Off Balance, Doesn't Matter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 04:25:03 PM »
If you don't have a team to support but want to back someone, post here and I will draw a random team for you to back in the World Cup.

Eh, give me a random team. Let's make this interesting.
Nate Weiss, Rules Manager & Dream Killer
"You're no fun." -Creed
Timing question? Look here.
Evidence is everything in a court of law. Evidence is also everything in the Rules Forum.

Offline Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 04:36:26 PM »

Eh, give me a random team. Let's make this interesting.

The random team you will be supporting is............POLAN D.

Chodźcie Bialo-Czerwoni!

Offline Shelan

• +3/-4
  • And That's the Bottom Line...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 06:20:21 PM »
Well, though I'm a die-hard Liverpool fan, I'm also a honest England fan on International terms but this year I’m rooting for Belgium :angel:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 11:32:10 PM by Shelan »
"Imagine speaking with your oldest, wisest, most optimal future self. What you're doing is tapping deep into your subconscious. Let your choices be guided by the person you hope to become." — Brianna Wiest

Discord: Shelan

Offline Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 05:30:10 PM »
So we're almost done the first round of games. Among other things:
-Iceland seems ready to cause some more havoc
-Germany's stumble against Mexico was an upset, but I don't rate it as a monumental upset. It's a good team being a great one.
-Brazil begins with a sputter
-Belgium looked really good against Panama. Unlike Russia, I think they can go somewhere.
-Tony Adams can go f**k himself with a spool of barbed wire

Offline BigPimpin

• +276/-147
  • Straight Gangsta, Foo'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 09:20:39 AM »
This announce team for Mexico / Korea is ridiculous.  Makes the game 100 times more fun.
Discord: MightyBP
Time Zone: EST
Available Lackey Hours: late nights (8-9 PM starts), some weekend evenings or morning.

100% reason to remember the name.

I'm the reason the hood need a dental plan.

Offline Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 07:51:56 AM »
The England/Belgium match is now a massive one: winner of the match wins the group. They're level on points AND goal difference thanks to England's murdering of Panama today.

And Tony Adams can continue to go f**k himself with a spool of barbed wire.

Offline Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 04:19:26 AM »
The England/Belgium match has the potential to turn into a total farce.

Right now, England and Belgium are level on goal difference, goals scored, and goals allowed. If their match ends in a draw, the winner of the group would be whichever team has the best fair play stats. Right now England has two yellow cards, while Belgium has three.

However, there's an incentive for not winning the group. Whoever is runner-up at this point would avoid facing Brazil or Germany in the quarterfinals.

It's entirely possible (and in fact been suggested by some pundits) that the two teams try to accumulate as many yellow cards as possible and draw the match so that whoever has more gets runner-up. If what I said holds, the match could devolve into a "kick the s**t out of the opposing side" contest. And if that happens, it'd be the most embarrassing thing to happen in a World Cup since the Disgrace of Gijon/Anschluss Match in 1982 between West Germany and Austria. For those not familiar: at that time, the final group stage matches were not all played simultaneously. Algeria and Chile had played their final match, which Algeria won. Both West Germany and Austria knew going in if West Germany won by 1 or 2 goals, both they and Austria would advance, since while Austria and Algeria were level on points, Austria would advance due to goal difference. Germany scored a goal in the 10th minute, and then both sides proceeded to pass the ball around and not try to attack.

No one who watched the Disgrace of Gijon was happy. The players were loudly jeered by the fans. One West Germany fan burned the West German flag in protest. The West German TV commentator announced in the 60th minute he was not going to continue to commentate on the match and stayed silent for the remainder of it, while his Austrian counterpart implored anyone who was watching to change the channel to something else. And just to put an exclamation point on the whole thing, the local Spanish newspaper printed the match report in their crime section.

Offline Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 02:26:41 PM »
The end times are upon us. England won a penalty shootout to defeat Colombia and advance to the World Cup Quarterfinals!

I've said it twice but it bears repeating: Tony Adams can continue to go f**k himself with a spool of barbed wire.

Offline Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 05:10:31 PM »
Crushed. Crushed is how I feel.

After England took care of Sweden, I really believed. I really believed that the Three Lions would make the World Cup Final and compete for a chance to bring it home. Alas, it wasn't to be.

Croatia outplayed and outlasted England, beating them 2-1 to set up a final match with France for the World Cup. France could win their second, while Croatia would be a new champion.

Still, it was a fantastic tournament for England, who got further than anyone thought they would. They should be proud of themselves and use this as a stepping stone towards greater things.

Finally, I'll just say once more: Tony Adams can go f**k himself with a spool of barbed wire. And while we're at it, Steve Nicol and Stewart Robson can join him.

Offline Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 01:31:03 PM »
The 2018 World Cup is over.

France defeats Croatia 4-2 to capture their second World Cup. Luka Modric wins the Golden Ball as the tournament’s best player, Thibaut Courtois wins the Golden Glove for allowing the fewest goals, Harry Kane wins the Golden Boot as the tournament’s top scorer, and Kylian Mbappe wins the award for the tournament’s best young player.

The Final was action-packed and exciting. After France concerted the penalty, Croatia was forced to open up, which played into France’s counterattack, resulting them in getting two more goals. A careless error by Hugo Lloris gave Croatia a second, but it was too late for them.

Overall, a great tournament. Plenty of fantastic play and surprises as the tournament went on. On a personal level, I’m happy France won because Hugo Lloris is the goalkeeper and captain for Tottenham Hotspur, so I was glad to see one of my guys get the win.

Now the four year wait begins anew.

Until then, we’ve got club football to sustain us, as well as the Euros in 2020.

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +492/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2018, 01:57:32 PM »
France defeats Croatia 4-2 to capture their second World Cup. Luka Modric wins the Golden Ball as the tournament’s best player, Thibaut Courtois wins the Golden Glove for allowing the fewest goals, Harry Kane wins the Golden Boot as the tournament’s top scorer, and Kylian Mbappe wins the award for the tournament’s best young player.
...but did Tony Adams win the golden spool of barbed wire?  ;)

CREED
VHS 3: Payback - Out Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2018, 02:44:03 PM »
...but did Tony Adams win the golden spool of barbed wire?  ;)

CREED

No, that goes to the very loud minority of Liverpool fans who whined about Harry Kane being named captain and openly rooted against England because of it. Their guy Jordan Henderson wasn’t made captain, so those idiots hoped England would lose. For that, they win the Golden Spool of Barbed Wire They Can Go F**k Themselves With.