Author Topic: Reformed Gunn Control (Billy Gunn: Heel, Smackdown, Fan Favorite)  (Read 221 times)

Offline killercactus

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
Always loved the old school Gunn Control deck, so I've updated it for Virtual.  * is what typically gets revealed / played

Backstage - 12
B.A. Billy Gunn*
DX Crotch Chop*
Hometown Hero*
5th
10th
All Shenanigans*

Pre-Match - 12
nWo T-Shirt (tb)*
Rochester, NY*
Tech in a Bottle (Quick Snap)*
Oh, You Didn't Know?*
Ladies and Gentlemen...*
Evening Up The Odds*
Survey... Who's Here to see the nWo?*
The Luck of the Draw*
It's Showtime!*
Night of Champions*
The Best Surprises Sneak Up from Behind*
Making Your Escape

Mid-Match - 12
Flawless Transition
Dirty Low Blow (tb)
Backfire x3
Rico Enters!
Sustained Damage
Unscrupulous SOB
Reinforcements from the DX Army
Outside Interference
You're As Graceful as a Cow on Ice
Restricted Use in this Area

Maneuvers - 3
1x Quick Snap Body Slam
1x Judo Takedown
1x The One and Only

Actions - 25
3x Ego Boost
3x Iron Will
3x Shoot Action
2x Enter the Stratusphere
2x Perplex Opponent
2x Beating the Odds
2x JR Style Slobberknocker
1x Roll out of the Ring
1x Don't Hate the Playa, Hate the Game
1x The Switch
1x Shane-O-Mac
1x I Can't Be Reading This Right
1x Husssssssss!
1x Dirty Taker
1x I'm an Ass Man

Reversals - 32
3x A Revolution of the Mind
3x Elbow to the Face
3x Manager Interferes
3x Get the F Out!
3x Volley This
3x Don't Try this at Home
2x No Chance in Hell (tb)
2x Hold the Phone
1x The Raw Deal Revolution
1x Divine Intervention
1x Don't be a Douchebag
1x Carlito Says That's Not Cool
1x I've Got One Thing to Say About That
1x Escape to the Side
1x Too Many Rules, Too Many Refs
1x The Federation's Purest Athlete
1x We're Sorry, This Has Gone too Far
1x Tori Enters the Fray!

The idea is to start the game with Quick Snap + Flawless to get on the board.  If that doesn't work, you can always spam The One and Only / Iron Will / Rochester to pick up Quick Snap and continue to play it, or try to climb to 4F through reversals, Douchebag and Dirty Low Blow.  Once at 4F, Rico Enters becomes playable thanks to nWo allegiance to get you up to 9F, at which everything is playable except Manager, NCIH and Stratusphere / Shane-O-Mac, but there's lots of ways through reversal damage and Shoot Action to go from there up to 15, which is all the deck needs.  After Quick Snap hits the board, either discard the Judo Takedown or stash it under Oh, You Didn't Know? so that you can always search for The One and Only each turn which plays as a Multi, as long as you can continually recycle it back in with Rochester or Iron Will. 

The Judo Takedown is there for when you come up against Not On My Broadcast (tb) - just avoid Broadcast until you get the Takedown and then just play like Broadcast isn't there, taking your 4F from Takedown when they remove something and naming Rico Enters with The Best Surprises Sneak up from Behind at the beginning of the game, so that you have a permanent 9F.  All of the Pre-Match cards that you need for the game are also Permanent, so Broadcast really doesn't hurt much at all after that as the Actions are setup in such a way to avoid really ever needing to have 2 of the same title down, and it doesn't affect The One and Only or Iron Will since they don't hit the Ring area.  And if they remove your Shoot Action to take you back down to 9F, cool - you get to hit them again with it. 

The deck wins by milling them out through Stratusphere / Shane, Shoot Actions, and the one-hit mill cards like Dirty Taker, Husssssss!, Backfire and Perplex.  Ego Boost x3 is there to draw when they DTTAH Rochester, or to get into Stratusphere maybe if you get stuck at 9F.  Beating the Odds gets included because I can't really pack Sidewalk Slam since it messes with Billy's ability.  Slobberknocker is great to shut down their recursion late game to help prevent them from sponging the "reverse a card effect" stuff, and Roll / Don't Hate / Switch are for when I need to pick up more than 1 card from the ringside that turn, a lot of times to try and end the game.  ICBRTR makes it in as a 1-off as a good way to continually fuel Stratusphere or Sustained Damage.   Ass Man is just a solid Multi Action, though it typically gets removed with DX Crotch Chop to recur 2 cards late game.  Reversals are pretty self-explanatory I think.  Hold The Phone is there just in case I get stuck at 9F and might need a TMF reversal in a pinch.

Bad cards for the deck are Hell in a Cell, Old School Wrestling Match TB and to a lesser extent, Old School Cage Match TB, Not on my Broadcast TB and There is No Escape.  Making Your Escape addresses 2 of the 4 - for HIAC, you just have to make sure that when you activate Making Your Escape, you're going to be able to go on a nice run of recursion, and also need to make sure you can hit Rico, which is a Run-in and stopped by the Cell.  Against There is No Escape, you really just need to make sure you can hit Rico and then you can kind of forget about it.  Old School Cage Match isn't too, too bad - you lose Rochester and ICBRTR, and Iron Will and the pick-up-from-ringside non-uniques get hurt a bit, but you can manage.  The One and Only becomes much more important to grab what you need from Ringside.  I explained my plan for Broadcast above - really if you aren't against that, you don't need Best Surprises for much in the Pre-Match but you can probably name Rico anyway.  Old School Wrestling Match TB is probably the worst since you're gonna mill 6 pretty much every turn.  You can try to throw the Judo Takedown at the end of each turn if they keep reversing it, but they might get smart and just let it stick.  Basically, you just have to recover your butt off and make them mill quickly.

One issue I do have is that the Mid-Match gets tight.  Backfire is a really great mill card, but I don't have a lot of room to play it a lot of games.  I might just scrap it and Luck of the Draw altogether for some more Mid-Match reversals or something.  Any ideas there would help.

Sorry for the book - I've thought a lot about this deck as I used to love to play it back in the classic era days.  Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 05:14:19 AM by killercactus »

Offline darkdestiny91

• +1/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Reformed Gunn Control (Billy Gunn: Heel, Smackdown, Fan Favorite)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 08:38:44 AM »
Am personally not a fan of Rochester and ICBRTR as OSCM hits the deck very very hard.

Will personally recommend getting 10 dynamic cards (that doesn't include finisher) into the deck and abuse Luck of the Draw instead for safer, and much more reliable recursion.

Offline BigPimpin

• +276/-147
  • Straight Gangsta, Foo'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 08:51:25 AM »
Couple of things:

1) The 1F Reversal is I've Got One Thing To Say About That
2) Judo Takedown won't fly into the ring from under Oh You Didn't Know? or from under any other card.  It has to be in your actual hand for the text to fire.
3) I only see one other Heat card besides Backfire (may be missing something); I think you need Heat cards (plural) for Backfire to be protected from hand reversals.
4) The problem with Broadcast TB isn't the removal, it's the "only one in the Ring" part.  It basically cuts your burn potential in half, which may be enough to prevent you from winning consistently.

Reviewing the rest, will come back if I have more to add.
Discord: MightyBP
Time Zone: EST
Available Lackey Hours: late nights (8-9 PM starts), some weekend evenings or morning.

100% reason to remember the name.

I'm the reason the hood need a dental plan.

Offline killercactus

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 01:14:08 PM »
I originally looked into the Dynamic stuff, but I just hate that I keep finding Dynamic moves then instead of The One and Only, which just seems so much better.  And Cage Match does shut Rochester down (ICBRTR is really just a bonus - can function completely without that), but it also shuts down Thrust Knee Lift which is another big problem card for me as if The One and Only gets removed from the game, I'm in trouble. 

Couple of things:

1) The 1F Reversal is I've Got One Thing To Say About That
Thanks - couldn't think of that off the top of my head since I don't run it really anywhere else.

2) Judo Takedown won't fly into the ring from under Oh You Didn't Know? or from under any other card.  It has to be in your actual hand for the text to fire.
Hmm - figured I could but I guess that doesn't count as "playing" the card?  Oh well, if not, then I'll just have to hold it in hand until it fires off.  That'll stop me from abusing The One and Only, but there's still quite a bit of draw and actions in here if they just refuse to use it as I keep playing actions.

3) I only see one other Heat card besides Backfire (may be missing something); I think you need Heat cards (plural) for Backfire to be protected from hand reversals.

Yeah, Luck of the Draw is just there to make Backfire cannot be reversed from hand.  The thing is though that since I'm throwing so many actions anyway, usually the first one is going to get RTV because I've already cleaned out their action reversals (unless they have something like Coach Says or Not Today, Pal I guess), and then the text kicks in.  Again though, Luck + Backfire is one of the first things I was looking to cut anyway.

4) The problem with Broadcast TB isn't the removal, it's the "only one in the Ring" part.  It basically cuts your burn potential in half, which may be enough to prevent you from winning consistently.

That's true, which is why I've tried to setup the deck in such a way to mostly get around that.  Like, that's why I run 1x Shane-O-Mac instead of just 3x Stratusphere.  Really all its taking away from this deck is 1x Stratusphere, 2x Shoot Action and 1x Perplex Opponent, and Stratusphere is a DTTAH target anyway so the second one can still get some mileage.  Losing 2x Shoot Action kinda hurts, but they might be motivated to remove that from the Ring anyway to try and drop me out of Manager Interferes range, which means I can play another one.  I'm probably not getting more than 1x Backfire out much anyway because my mid-match is so clogged up.

I've also considered I've Got 2 Words For Ya! as an interesting way to deal with Broadcast... can clear some stuff out of my Ring Area to use again, with some of my fortitude being Permanent.

Reviewing the rest, will come back if I have more to add.

Thanks for looking!  I appreciate the help!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 01:24:00 PM by killercactus »

Offline darkdestiny91

• +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 07:05:15 PM »
Did you consider running non-tb Inferno Match? It also gives you 1F and burns each player.

Initially, I did consider Dynamic to be kinda bad, but with Old School Wrestling Match TB being another popular stipulation, it might work to have a few more maneuvers in your deck to avoid getting burned out by it.

Offline killercactus

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 05:19:27 AM »
Did you consider running non-tb Inferno Match? It also gives you 1F and burns each player.

Initially, I did consider Dynamic to be kinda bad, but with Old School Wrestling Match TB being another popular stipulation, it might work to have a few more maneuvers in your deck to avoid getting burned out by it.

You know, I did consider Inferno Match when I was first building the deck, and then somehow I got off of it.  At this point, I really don't remember why, other than I might have been a bit afraid of it since on some turns, I toss a lot of blue cards into the ring area.  It does make sense though if I get one or two down and then just sit behind One and Only + Iron Will + Rochester + Stratusphere and wait.  I'll have to re-look at that.