Author Topic: Constant Checking VS One Time Effect  (Read 186 times)

Offline DebuRaito

• +17/-4
    • View Profile
Constant Checking VS One Time Effect
« on: May 11, 2018, 09:03:58 AM »
Hi Rules Peep, would like to check how to know if a card is constantly checking or if it's a one time effect. For example, Enough Shenanigans will constantly blank Kennedy's Ability(even if he swap abilities with White Wedding) and Managed by Eric Bischoff is a one time blanking (allowing First Family to add the +1 Pre text). Is there any specific wording to look out for? Or is it just a "because we are the ppl who created these cards and intends it to be this way, so we said so" kind of answer?

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +492/-369
    • View Profile
Re: Constant Checking VS One Time Effect
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 09:35:34 AM »
Keep in mind this game is built on rules that were designed to work with card text by the original creators.  The rules were not designed as a structure on which cards were built, and unfortunately the rulings that follow as based on that same unstable foundation.

Per the original rules, though, blanking is essentially permanent unless stated otherwise, which is why cards like Oversell and Road to Victory would say 'blank until the end of the turn' or similar verbiage.

If there's an inconsistent ruling from the printed days, let me know.  The idea of performing updates to the OmniFAQ is fairly hideous, since it's an immense document that can't really be reviewed in full (well, not for free, and no one's paying, so... lol).  However, it might be time to make a few tweaks to things that are outdated, no longer accurate, or contradictory.

In direct answer to your question, Shenanigans is 'blank' as in unconditionally.  I don't have a Managed by Eric at work, so I don't know what it specifically says, and can't speak to that.

CREED
VHS 3: Payback - Out Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline Keith0913832

• TCO Donor
  • +13/-3
  • Onward with the <R>evolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 10:27:31 AM »
Believe it's this card.

Managed by Eric Bischoff

Pre-match Manager

At the end of the Pre-match phase, search your Arsenal for the card titled Did I Just Say…Three Minutes?, reveal it to your opponent, put it into your hand, and shuffle your Arsenal.

All players’ cards with the word “McMahon” in the title are considered to have blank text.

RAW logo

Universally Unique

F: 0      D: 0

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +492/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 10:45:04 AM »
Ah.  Then yeah, if we didn't add errata or otherwise change the card, it will constantly blank McMahon cards, and the previous ruling was in error.

A product of the old 'that sounds cool, let's make the rules allow it!' mentality, I fear.  :(

I think it's inevitable that we'll have to make a few changes to the Omni, but it won't be a full review.  I'm keeping a list of what we've discovered so far, the one up-side being that since CI closed their Raw Deal site and the file is hosted here on TCO, it can be updated without causing mass confusion by being hosted elsewhere.

CREED
VHS 3: Payback - Out Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard