Author Topic: The All-Purpose GenCon Thread  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
The All-Purpose GenCon Thread
« on: May 05, 2018, 05:02:05 PM »
For the first time this year, I will be attending GenCon. I am going primarily to play in the Final Fantasy TCG Crystal Cup tournaments there, hoping to qualify for US Nationals. I'm posting this up because I know that folks on this site go and attend, for Raw Deal and other things. I wanted to know what your schedules looked like so I could hopefully meet up with you some time during the event.

As it stands right now, I will be playing in the Opus VI Sealed Crystal Cup on Thursday, and then on Saturday playing in the Constructed Crystal Cup. I'll be available Friday. As for Sunday, it's possible I could be playing in the Crystal Cup Top 16, which would take up that day, but I'll just have to play it by ear.

Also, a little anecdote for everyone: I was speaking with a client at work and doing some things for him. While I was going through everything, I noticed that the client resided in Indianapolis. The following conversation ensued:

Me: "Hey, I noticed you're from Indianapolis. I should mention I'll be coming your way this summer!"
Client: "Oh! When are you coming?"
Me: "I'll be here August 1st through 6th."
Client: "Ah you're going to GenCon!"

He first asked if I had my badge, flight, and hotel, and after I confirmed I did, said it was good I'd gotten those in advance. He then thanked me for attending because the con is a huge economic boon for the city and local businesses. According to him, for many businesses, it's their best week of the year. He then recommended I check out Fountain Square and Massachusetts Avenue for their shops and restaurants. He specifically suggested a German beer garden called Rathskeller on Mass Ave because he knows the owners and also because it's a really good beer garden (reviews seem to check out).
Ceterum censeo Chelsea delendam esse.

Don't let this signature distract you from the fact that Dele Alli has 29 more PL goals than Jack Wilshere.

"Tottenham are laughing at us!" - Dom, West Ham United fan, after Astra Giurgiu eliminated West Ham United from Europa (Entirely accurate statement).

Offline KD8ESU

• +18/-17
  • Ninja Bob
    • View Profile
Re: The All-Purpose GenCon Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 07:40:50 PM »
Firstly, that last part is more accurate than you'd imagine; the Gen Con-goers tend to actually support the local business, and they return the favor by transforming themselves for those days to help set the tone throughout Downtown Indy.
It's part of the reason the event stays in Indiandpolis; I have a hard time imagining any other major city being so welcoming to that many people.

As for events to do, obviously I have to tell you to attend the SuperShow events.  I know it's not listed currently because of some conflicts that should be resolved soon.

Outside of that, I'm going to give you three pieces of advise:
1.  Don't overbook yourself.  Simply put, leave yourself time to decompress and relax.
2.  Wander the dealer hall and demo game.  Even if you don't think you'd enjoy the game, try it out anyway; you might be surprised on what you may want.  With that, don't over-spend.  If there's not a deal, you can wait and get it later.
3.  At least try one new thing each year.  Whether it's attending the Stink, going to see Dub That Hentai, or even attending the annual Dance; you need to do one thing new.  Yes, I know this is your first year, but try something new, double-so if it's something you can't do at home.
hXi

YOUR 2014 GenCon Supershow Champion

One-half of **** *** Pay, 2015 GenCon Supershow Tag Team Champions.

Offline Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 04:43:20 AM »
Firstly, that last part is more accurate than you'd imagine; the Gen Con-goers tend to actually support the local business, and they return the favor by transforming themselves for those days to help set the tone throughout Downtown Indy.
It's part of the reason the event stays in Indiandpolis; I have a hard time imagining any other major city being so welcoming to that many people.

As for events to do, obviously I have to tell you to attend the SuperShow events.  I know it's not listed currently because of some conflicts that should be resolved soon.

Outside of that, I'm going to give you three pieces of advise:
1.  Don't overbook yourself.  Simply put, leave yourself time to decompress and relax.
2.  Wander the dealer hall and demo game.  Even if you don't think you'd enjoy the game, try it out anyway; you might be surprised on what you may want.  With that, don't over-spend.  If there's not a deal, you can wait and get it later.
3.  At least try one new thing each year.  Whether it's attending the Stink, going to see Dub That Hentai, or even attending the annual Dance; you need to do one thing new.  Yes, I know this is your first year, but try something new, double-so if it's something you can't do at home.

Yeah, I was surprised first that the client knew all about it and then asking if I'd gotten everything lined up for the con. Particularly since the client's a retiree and I'd assumed he wouldn't be aware of GenCon. But he explained to me that people who live in the city all know about the event and that it's a yearly highlight for the reasons he mentioned.

Friday is going to be my free day as it stands. Thursday is the Opus VI Sealed Crystal Cup, and I'm going to enter the second Crystal Cup on Saturday, so Friday should be all clear for me. I do plan on doing some walking around, though I also am going to want to do some FFTCG free play and also pick up some cards, particularly because Opus VI comes out two weeks before GenCon, so the meta is going to be in a massive state of flux.

I'd heard there's going to be an Eye of Argon reading event, but don't see it listed. Maybe it just hasn't been listed yet. For those who don't know, The Eye of Argon is a heroic fantasy story that's widely considered to be the worst (in a So Bad It's Good way) ever written. The events are that one person starts reading, and they keep reading until they burst out laughing, at which point it's passed on to the next reader. Getting through half a page without laughing is considered to be a major achievement. A sort of ancestor to You Laugh, You Lose challenges in a sense.

Don't let this signature distract you from the fact that Dele Alli has 29 more PL goals than Jack Wilshere.

"Tottenham are laughing at us!" - Dom, West Ham United fan, after Astra Giurgiu eliminated West Ham United from Europa (Entirely accurate statement).

Offline Steve Resk

• Global Moderator
  • +10/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 05:03:52 AM »
GenCon!
Needless to say I’m always excited for GenCon.
First off GenCon Tip.
#1 and I seem to always break the rule.
Stay Hydrated. Seriously, you do so much walking and moving and gaming it’s easy to forget and very important to your body. Drink it in maaaaaan.
#2 Drink it in maaaaaaaaan. There is so much going on at gencon, stop by new booths, check out new things, meet new people have a good time. For me it’s always been a great experience for me. I’ve build some serious friendships and great memories here.
#3 Uber is your friend if your not a Super morning person parking is very tough and can be costly.
A round trip Uber with friends can cost less then parking when split up amongst a few people.

#4 come visit me at the SRG Universe events and booth.

Side rant
Taft is correct GenCon for the second year in a row is giving us a hard time with allocating space. We sold nearly 400 tickets last year total, and had a 90 person event, yet they still think it can’t happen this year. The previous year we had about 70 people.  They are really hurting us by not putting us on the event board.

#NATEHATESME
Proof reading in fear of Daeva's wrath since 2/10/14

A spectacle so GRAND, it can only be called The Supershow.
Super Set 4 the Knockdown is live on KS!
Join Us! Support Us!https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1918193924/supershow-the-game-the-knockdown-by-srg-universe

Offline Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 07:53:59 PM »
I have registered for the Crystal Cup events. I'll be playing in the Opus VI Sealed on Thursday and then the Saturday Constructed. I am going to be free on Friday. I also signed up for an after-hours event called "Dub That Hentai". I imagine it's going to be sick and twisted............ ....right up my alley in other words.

Online LawnMowerMan

• +7/-11
  • Going in a scrub walking,out a champion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 06:49:44 AM »
I will also be attending Gencon for the first time in my life as well to play in as many of the Raw Deal events as I can. But I’m actually pretty excited to do some walking around and seeing the festivities. I’ve been so busy with the Funk Con tournament that I haven’t really been able to check out what all they have to offer there.

I’m cool with hanging out after events and stuff or walking around. This will be my 2nd comic con I’ve ever gone to so it would be cool to meet a few new people. I’m also looking to get into a new card game but I don’t wanna get into one that’s been out for a while. I want a fresh start to something.
Current Illinois Tournament Organizer.
Future Funk Con And Gencon World Champion!

Online LawnMowerMan

• +7/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 09:38:19 AM »
I have registered for the Crystal Cup events. I'll be playing in the Opus VI Sealed on Thursday and then the Saturday Constructed. I am going to be free on Friday. I also signed up for an after-hours event called "Dub That Hentai". I imagine it's going to be sick and twisted............ ....right up my alley in other words.

Mitch does My Gencon badge include this? I love hentai ^~^

Offline KD8ESU

• +18/-17
  • Ninja Bob
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 01:56:24 PM »

All you should be getting is the badge.  Tickets for other events are seperate.

Also, to LawnMowerMan, did you get VIP or regular seating?
hXi

Online LawnMowerMan

• +7/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 02:16:07 PM »
No sure, Mitch just said I would be getting a badge that’s kinda the only way I would be able to go. What’s the difference between the normal and VIP?

Offline Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 03:28:35 PM »

I think you meant the question for me. I got regular seating. I assume you're going to be attending Dub That Hentai?

Offline KD8ESU

• +18/-17
  • Ninja Bob
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 05:16:35 PM »

I think you meant the question for me. I got regular seating. I assume you're going to be attending Dub That Hentai?

I might be there, depending on circumstances with the Tag Tournament.
I went last year, and that thing is a blast.  Just be warned, you will need to make a fool of yourself in there.
hXi

Offline Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 05:48:37 PM »

I went last year, and that thing is a blast.  Just be warned, you will need to make a fool of yourself in there.

That's why I plan on doing some drinking before the event, so that way I have no shame. Turns out losing 120 pounds destroys one's alcohol tolerance.

Offline KD8ESU

• +18/-17
  • Ninja Bob
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 01:41:42 AM »

That's why I plan on doing some drinking before the event, so that way I have no shame. Turns out losing 120 pounds destroys one's alcohol tolerance.

If you need to get liquored up to have no shame, they serve it at the event.  They got people like you covered.
hXi

Offline Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 06:07:04 PM »
One question for the folks going for Raw Deal: Where is the Raw Deal area at GenCon? I don't see one listed on the GenCon website.

Offline KD8ESU

• +18/-17
  • Ninja Bob
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 04:11:32 PM »

An update, they still have VIP seating available.  Queensryche, if you upgrade to VIP, three things should happen:
1.  You'll get in before GA.
2.  They give you a ticket for a free drink and time to chat with a few of the Deviants before the show.
3.  You can sit with me and have my free drink ticket (I don't drink, at all) so you can be good and trashed if you get called on stage.  Yes, you can be called on stage.
hXi

Offline Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 04:40:14 PM »
KD8, I upgraded to VIP Seating.

I look forward to meeting you at GenCon!

Offline KD8ESU

• +18/-17
  • Ninja Bob
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 07:00:13 PM »
Good man
I'll be at the SRG tables (wherever they decide to place it) until close to time.  If needed, I'll be having to swing out to get some coffee beforehand as well.

If anyone else decides to go that Friday night, we need to mert-up and get a table together.
hXi

Offline Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2018, 04:03:14 AM »
I was thinking something.

I'm going to be arriving in Indianapolis on Wednesday afternoon, mostly so I can get settled in my hotel room and do some last-minute preparation for the Final Fantasy TCG tournaments because Opus VI comes out three weeks beforehand so the meta will be in a state of flux. I'm planning to go to Rathskeller, the German beer garden on Mass Ave that night because given my schedule, it may be the best time for me to check that place out. Would it be possible for anyone here going to meet up with me there?

Offline KD8ESU

• +18/-17
  • Ninja Bob
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2018, 04:56:56 PM »
I think most of us arrive on Wednesday at some point.

If you are going to be downtown, you should try to go to the Stink on Wednesday night.  Beyond that, that day is usually preparing for the chaos that is Gen Con.
hXi

Offline CRASHER

• +84/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2018, 08:08:25 PM »
I arrive super-late on Wednesday....that drive is my reboot for the year.... I'll be mostly around the Raw Deal/Super Show area (hope to hell they keep them next to each other again)....unless I'm roaming the floor getting gifts for the Terror Twins  :laugh:
*IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII* AM the Super Show 2017 Tag Team Champions!!!!!!

Offline Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2018, 07:26:23 PM »
Quick question for folks: has anyone had their order sent to them yet? The GenCon website says fulfillment began this past Sunday, but my badge and tickets have not been sent at this time.

Also, me and some FFTCG players are going to be going to Rathskeller the Wednesday before GenCon, because I've found that many of them share my love of beer. If anyone wants to meet up there, let me know and I'll let you know when we're there.

Offline KD8ESU

• +18/-17
  • Ninja Bob
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2018, 07:50:50 PM »
Quick question for folks: has anyone had their order sent to them yet? The GenCon website says fulfillment began this past Sunday, but my badge and tickets have not been sent at this time.

Also, me and some FFTCG players are going to be going to Rathskeller the Wednesday before GenCon, because I've found that many of them share my love of beer. If anyone wants to meet up there, let me know and I'll let you know when we're there.

They mail them out alphabetically by first name, usually hitting a few hundred (200-300) each business day.  I'm on the latter end so I get mine early-to-mid-July.
The Friends of Gen Con Facebook group is usually the best indicator of where they are as they come in; you should join the group anyway to keep up to date on important things (like the I-65 construction project downtown).

If you don't get it immediately, it's not a big deal.  However, if we get to mid-July and you haven't seen a shipping number show up yet, you should start asking questions and getting in contact with Customer Service.

As for that meet-up, maybe.  I don't drink, but I do game, so if games are happening, keep me informed; otherwise, it's the Stink at Union Station again for me.
hXi

Offline rated SRH

• +39/-15
  • Welcome to the Rated SRH Era!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2018, 01:31:15 AM »

They mail them out alphabetically by first name, usually hitting a few hundred (200-300) each business day.  I'm on the latter end so I get mine early-to-mid-July.
The Friends of Gen Con Facebook group is usually the best indicator of where they are as they come in; you should join the group anyway to keep up to date on important things (like the I-65 construction project downtown).

If you don't get it immediately, it's not a big deal.  However, if we get to mid-July and you haven't seen a shipping number show up yet, you should start asking questions and getting in contact with Customer Service.

As for that meet-up, maybe.  I don't drink, but I do game, so if games are happening, keep me informed; otherwise, it's the Stink at Union Station again for me.

I thought it was by last name.
Your 2018 WWE Raw Deal World Champion!!!!!!!

Chance Favors the Prepared Mind.

Top 8 at Gen Con 2014 Finished top 4 Gen Con 2015

25 Time Castle Comics Champion

Leader of the Raw Deal Main Event Mafia

Heisenberg of Raw Deal

Offline Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2018, 07:20:31 AM »

How much is the I-65 construction going to affect me? I'm flying in the Wednesday before and I'm planning to Lyft to GenCon each day.

Offline Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2018, 04:57:36 AM »
Just saw my badge has been printed and is being mailed out today!