Author Topic: No Mom, My Sister's Going To Give You Grandchildren  (Read 190 times)

Offline Queensryche

• +4/-1
    • View Profile
No Mom, My Sister's Going To Give You Grandchildren
« on: April 02, 2018, 05:50:23 PM »
Alright, this is something that's been incredibly frustrating to me. No matter what I say, my mom won't listen. Maybe you guys can help me get my point across better than I can.

So my local games store is going to be holding a women's gaming night. Great idea in my opinion, which lets women know the store is welcome to them. Well, some GameGated ManFortress on Saturday came in and asked why there wasn't a men's gaming night. Me being the unrepentant smartass I am, replied "Isn't that the other 364 days of the year?" He goes and calls me a traitor to my gender (best compliment I received that day) and leaves in a huff. Andrew, the store's owner, asks that I be present that day because I'm supportive of the idea and also because he thinks I would make other GameGated ManFortresses think twice about starting crap.

I tell my mom this yesterday and immediately she thinks I'm going to hook up with someone. I explain to her no, that's not why, and tell my story. But she doesn't listen and throughout the night she's giving me tips and stuff. If this was 10 years ago, I would've snapped at her. But being a much more mature individual (I think), I just nodded my head and agreed with her.

Simply put, I have no interest in any sort of relationship with a woman beyond friendship. I value my solitude and my experience tells me I wouldn't be able to live with anyone else. My mom however doesn't seem to get that though and thinks I'll find someone. I'm not interested in women like that. I'm not interested in anyone like that. I like things how they are now. I even went on a couple "dates" with a woman from work who I eventually realized was interested in me (Why she was I can't figure out). I told her that if she was looking for a relationship, she was looking in the wrong place and explained my side of the story. She was fine with that and we agreed to stay as friends. I haven't told my mom this, because I'm certain that she'd take it the wrong way.

I don't know how to get across to my mom that I am not interested in anything beyond friendship with anyone. Can someone help me out?
Ceterum censeo Chelsea delendam esse

Offline KD8ESU

• +17/-17
  • Ninja Bob
    • View Profile
Re: No Mom, My Sister's Going To Give You Grandchildren
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 08:13:57 PM »
So far, you're doing everything right.

The next step is to tell her that you've "got this" on the build-up to the event.

Then, let the event happen and next time she brings it up, just tell her that you talked to a few girls but nothing came from it.

That's at least all I can can give you.
hXi

YOUR 2014 GenCon Supershow Champion

One-half of **** *** Pay, 2015 GenCon Supershow Tag Team Champions.

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +484/-368
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 08:45:25 PM »
I'd have to agree, just go with placation.  Reason won't work, she has too much hope invested, it would seem.

CREED
VHS 3: Payback - Out Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline Eric RD

• +12/-1
  • Backlash Podcast Co-host
    • View Profile
    • Backlash Podcast
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 05:51:41 AM »
I have issues with my mother too where she just won’t get the hint about things. A big contention between us is the idea that I won’t be having children. Regardless of how many different ways I can say it’s not happening, she still tries to push her own agenda. Keep communicating the way you are, and be patient. Hopefullly it will be something your mom will stop bother you about.
Backlash Podcast 14 - Interdimensional Oddity
https://youtu.be/v_aFlEhTkzM

Backlash Podcast - a Raw Deal podcast - available every other Tuesday on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/c/EricRDeal
https://www.facebook.com/Backlashpod/

Online CRASHER

• +81/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 12:24:56 PM »
my mother tried something similar once and only once with me, my sister was pregnant with her first for thanksgiving, and a few chugs of wine too many she goes to me and says "so when are YOU getting me grandchildren too??" a bit annoyed and not really in the mood for it and even less afraid to shoot back in front of the family I went "sure.....i'll go knock up the next girl I meet, will THAT make YOU happy??" .....she finished her wine and never mentioned it again :)

but not like I was ever the favorite member of the family anyway.....
*IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII* AM the Super Show 2017 Tag Team Champions!!!!!!