Author Topic: Hacksaw Jim Duggan vs Spinning Clothesline  (Read 138 times)

Offline Mitch!

• 2014 & 2017 Raw Deal World Champion
  • Global Moderator
  • +240/-240
  • Welcome to....Dubuque, Iowa!
    • View Profile
Hacksaw Jim Duggan vs Spinning Clothesline
« on: February 11, 2018, 10:18:31 PM »
Can't seem to find this anymore so re-posting it:
If Jim duggan plays Spinning clothesline the opponent does not discard 2 extra correct? That is what I remember, if you could post the reasoning again that would be great.

Spinning Clothesline
Strike
Reversals to this card are +2D.
"Amazing maneuver, especially from such a big fella like Brock Lesnar." - Michael Cole
"He caught the Big Show napping again!" - Tazz
F: 5      D: 8

HACKSAW JIM DUGGAN
Starting Hand Size: 6     Superstar Value: 3
WWF Legend Superstar Ability: Once during each of your turns, you may discard 1 card and then search your Arsenal for 1 non-Throwback non-hybrid Strike with 'clothesline' in the title, reveal it, put it in your hand, and shuffle; when that is the next card played this turn, it is -8F.  Your Clothesline cards are +1D.
When your opponent plays a reversal to reverse your maneuver with 'clothesline' in the title, he discards # cards, where # is equal to 1 + the printed Damage of the reversal.
You can pack No Sell Maneuver cards, but you cannot pack Managers.

Also his text version says "printed damage" the images downloaded do not say as such.
Mitch of Team Niki Heber and Friends
Only B2B's Deck to Ever Win Worlds!
The Heel HHH of Raw Deal
Your 2017 Raw Deal Champion

Offline riothebeast

• +1/-5
    • View Profile
Re: Hacksaw Jim Duggan vs Spinning Clothesline
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 10:23:14 PM »
In the set list print the printed is crossed out with a blue line meaning an errata correct?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 10:28:36 PM by riothebeast »

Offline dilbert505

• +47/-41
  • The Prince of Insufficient Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 10:49:49 PM »
That ability was errata'd, as Rio points out. (There was a bad interaction with One of the Big Boys, where Hacksaw could conceivably eat a big reversal like Power Slam, take only 1 damage, and his opponent would have to discard 11 cards. The new version means that Hacksaw has to choose: eat full damage, but get big discard, or take minimal damage, but get minimal discard.)

As currently worded, your opponent discards 1 + the damage of the reversal. Presume the reversal is Revolution of the Mind, which is D:1 as printed. You would discard 4 cards, since it would be 3D, plus the additional card from Hacksaw's ability.

Note that if Hacksaw's opponent had Frankie Takes Hollywood in play, Spinning Clothesline would no longer be able to increase the damage of the Revo, so the damage would be 1, which would be added to the additional 1 card discard from Hacksaw's ability for a total of 2 discarded cards.

--------------

You were correct as to the way the ability worked prior to the revision; the discard ability on Duggan triggered off of printed damage, so the damage modifier would not have increased the discard. However, with printed removed from the ability, that is no longer the case.
Universally Recognized as a Mature and Responsible Adult.

Playing on Lackey? I'm on US Eastern Time; you can check what time it is for me here.

Offline riothebeast

• +1/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 11:50:39 PM »
since you bring up big boys does it really change anything in its interaction? i understand its only dealing one damage but it does not change how much damage the card actually is.

Offline dilbert505

• +47/-41
  • The Prince of Insufficient Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 10:13:51 AM »
since you bring up big boys does it really change anything in its interaction? i understand its only dealing one damage but it does not change how much damage the card actually is.

That's exactly why the changed wording changes the interaction. "How much damage the card actually is" is printed Damage. "How much damage the card deals" is Damage.

"he discards # cards, where # is equal to 1 + the printed Damage of the reversal." - This is Hacksaw's original ability. It triggers off the damage value written on the card, modifications notwithstanding. Power Slam TB is printed 10D, so you discard 11 cards, whether Hacksaw takes 10D, discards 5 to Sustained Damage and takes 0, or has One of the Big Boys out and takes 1.

"he discards # cards, where # is equal to 1 + the Damage of the reversal." - This is Hacksaw's current ability. It triggers off the damage the card deals, after modifications. If you use that Power Slam TB, and Hacksaw has out One of the Big Boys, he takes 1 damage and you discard 2. If he also discards 1 to Sustained Damage, he takes 0, so you discard 1.
Universally Recognized as a Mature and Responsible Adult.

Playing on Lackey? I'm on US Eastern Time; you can check what time it is for me here.