Author Topic: GenCon Help  (Read 259 times)

Online Queensryche

• TCO Donor
  • +8/-2
    • View Profile
GenCon Help
« on: February 09, 2018, 10:06:51 PM »
Alright, so I'm talking with a bunch of guys in my area about organizing a trip to GenCon for reasons I stated in an earlier topic. However, I just realized something: I've never been to GenCon and have no idea how far ahead I should make reservations/plan things.

So with that in mind, I've got three questions:

1. How far in advance should I book my flight/hotel/etc.?
2. How far in advance are passes for the con sold?
3. In general, how much should I expect to spend before I get to dropping cash on merchandise?
4. How many days in advance should I arrive to GenCon?

Any help would be appreciated!
Ceterum censeo Chelsea delendam esse.

Don't let this signature distract you from the fact that Dele Alli has 29 more PL goals than Jack Wilshere.

BREAKING NEWS: Arsenal to move to Los Angeles "to be closer to their fanbase" according to Stan Kroenke.

Offline Mitch!

• 2014 & 2017 Raw Deal World Champion
  • Global Moderator
  • +241/-240
  • Welcome to....Dubuque, Iowa!
    • View Profile
Re: GenCon Help
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 10:16:52 PM »
1. I would look for a hotel now.
2. They are being sold now.
3. Depends on the hotel and how you are getting there and such.
4. Wednesday/Thursday works out just fine typically, I show up early Thursday morning after driving.
Mitch of Team Niki Heber and Friends
Only B2B's Deck to Ever Win Worlds!
The Heel HHH of Raw Deal
Your 2017 Raw Deal Champion

Offline KD8ESU

• +18/-17
  • Ninja Bob
    • View Profile
Re: GenCon Help
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 01:21:06 AM »
All noted, but I want to add a few things:

1.  At this point, if you wanted to stay downtown by the ICCC, it'll cost A LOT (over $2000) if you haven't gotten your badge.  Reason is the emails for the housing portal went out.  Staying on the outer-belt is, and will remain, an option but be prepared to drive or Uber/Lyft in a half-hour each way every day.

2.  Badges are on sale now; if you know you're going, get it now because there's no guarantee it won't sell out again.  It sold out last year, and even with the price spike, it could sell out again.

3.  Downtown will cost you over $2000 for just the hotel at this point; the outer-belt is going to run $400-$600 depending on quality.  Just remember that Parking each day is an additional cost, between $10 and $30 a day, also driving in/Uber/Lyft also needs to be accounted for on the outer-belt.
Look at https://www.gencon.com/forums and they can give a lot of good advice, no matter if it's for food, hotels, bars, or anything at the Con.  Also, willing to split a room with someone would help reduce costs, just find someone you trust to room with for the time.

4.  Unless you want to do anything in town, there's no need to show up before Wednesday afternoon for any sort of Hotel check-in (at least that's me) or Thursday morning for the "first day."  Things are happening besides Raw Deal and SuperShow during the whole time, even on Wednesday; take some time to pop your head out of this bubble and see what's out there.
hXi

YOUR 2014 GenCon Supershow Champion

One-half of **** *** Pay, 2015 GenCon Supershow Tag Team Champions.